Why become a member? ×

You thought a mike stand is just an unremarkable stage accessory?

Silvia Bluejay

Nice. We've been looking at getting a Rebel stand for Mr Venom as the longest any others have lasted is 3 gigs (some have lasted less than one song). The only downside to getting a more sturdy one is the potential for damage to other things once the mic stand is no longer the weakest thing...

HJ let me know how you get on with this - I'll be watching with interest.

As I understand it, the WPM-1 is in exactly the right position to avoid the risk and it certainly seems to work.

I'm using a Shure SM57 Beta which is hyper-cardioid, and that might make a difference too. The WPM-1 has a very simple EQ knob (more treble through to less treble, basically) and that helps.

I keep the boom very, very short (as you can see) so as to take up as little room as possible on stage, and to make it harder for drunken punters to walk into the "back" of the boom. I can lengthen the boom by up to 18" if necessary.

Edited by Happy Jack

Incidentally, Rob Perna at Rebel Mics is a bass player and a member here on Basschat, though I don't know his user name.

Rob and his two colleagues are as nice a group of guys as you could hope to meet, and their workshop is a real Aladdin's Cave of design and metal bashing.

[quote name='Stompbox' timestamp='1351339089' post='1850260']
Well I do like the skeleton, but maybe a little difficult to fold down into a handy package... :D

I like the idea of a presonal monitor too, but even better would be a screen with lyrics on, instead of the ring binder I carry with me...
[/quote]

Qft that sounds better. Like a cross between a mic stand and a stage prompter

Nice mic stand. Once you get the hang of building stage props you soon work out that looking at things from a distance is a lot different to close up detail.

I'm not sure how the 'cog' base is made, but glueing cubes of wood onto a standard stand and painting them would have similar effect. I don't mean to take anything away from the build, because it's the creative idea and vision that are the hard bit.

Build a lightweight wooden box with grills to look like your existing cab to make a superb stack. Loads of pro bands have done it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1351346044' post='1850382']

I'm not sure how the 'cog' base is made, but glueing cubes of wood onto a standard stand and painting them would have similar effect. I don't mean to take anything away from the build, because it's the creative idea and vision that are the hard bit.

[/quote]

As far as I can make out, Rob has welded cubes of metal onto a stand base. The idea (of course) is to make this look like some sort of drive-shaft salvaged from a junkyard.

Note the name of my band. :lol:

Hi Guys
Thank you @happy jack for posting photos!, they look great, it was good to meet you both, i enjoyed your visit!

I was thankful when we moved your original enquiry from a custom production mic stand to a completely custom themed mic stand, themed to the band name "the junkyard dogs", - custom mic stands are great, but themed mic stands are the way forward!!!!
The mic stand was designed to look like a rusted battered old drive shaft, i could not use a real drive shaft and gear, because it would weight a tonne, so i opted for a light weight aluminum main shaft fitted to our own pressed mic stand base, with blocks of square solid steel welded around the circumference to give the cog / gear effect.
Alittle air brushing and rotational arrows to give identity to the shaft , alittle skuffing, sanding and a gloss coat, i am very happy with the out come. :)

\m/\m/