Why become a member? ×

Michael Anthony Yamaha BB3000MA Bass

Adee

Does anyone know anything about the Michael Anthony signature bass?
and how much they are worth on the second hand market?
or is anyone looking for one?

I'll check if its the Black or Green one

One went through Evilbay about 8 months ago for somewhere in the region of £350 quid. I guess you either love or hate the inlays, but the bass is a Made In Japan Yamaha so a quality instrument. The new price was something like £1300 if I remember rightly.

This looks like the one that was up for sale on Talkbass for $550 a couple of weeks ago. It's a neck-through, so shipping it is going to be expensive. I'd quite like one of these (the inlays work for me :-) but not at that price.

Does anyone know who Michael Anthony is/was? I've never heard of him.

[quote name='King Tut' post='194923' date='May 8 2008, 07:24 PM']He's is/was the bass player with Van Halen[/quote]

WAS! Kinda got kicked out in a weird bitchy way.

Edited by Sean

For those who are interested, the BB3000 model is the same model as Billy Sheehan's Pink bass with the wide maple neck. I think he got an 'S' instead of an 'MA' on his though!

I wonder how alike it is to Billy Sheehan's new BB series basses that are hitting the market soon.

[quote name='andy67' post='195313' date='May 9 2008, 11:37 AM']hmmm, sounds good!

there seems to be quite a groundswell for ol' rockers returning!?[/quote]
Old rockers never die, they just smell funny from all the embalming fluid they've consumed.

[quote name='dood' post='194963' date='May 8 2008, 08:19 PM']For those who are interested, the BB3000 model is the same model as Billy Sheehan's Pink bass with the wide maple neck. I think he got an 'S' instead of an 'MA' on his though![/quote]

Sheehan's old pink bass had an angled headstock with no string tree though.

ps. one odd thing- note the production MA bass has a reversed P config, but the one's MA actually plays live are non-reversed P (ie. as on a fender).

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='195314' date='May 9 2008, 11:39 AM']Old rockers never die, they just smell funny from all the embalming fluid they've consumed.[/quote]

i thought they just lived forever on the guest list...

back on topic - nice looking bass...except for the inlays

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Sean' post='194928' date='May 8 2008, 07:27 PM']WAS! Kinda got kicked out in a weird bitchy way.[/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If you read the [i]Everybody Wants Some[/i] biography of Van Halen it's pretty clear that while he was [i]in[/i] with the Van Halen boys, he was never really in - always an outsider. Concerning the in-band battles against DLR it was more like (2+1) against 1, rather than 3 against 1. I always wondered how he actually lasted so long with the band...he always seemed the weak link.

That said, from the footage I've seen from the comeback tour, Wolfie seems to be able to fill Michael Anthony's shoes pretty easily.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='195933' date='May 10 2008, 12:19 PM']I think you hit the nail on the head there. If you read the [i]Everybody Wants Some[/i] biography of Van Halen it's pretty clear that while he was [i]in[/i] with the Van Halen boys, he was never really in - always an outsider. Concerning the in-band battles against DLR it was more like (2+1) against 1, rather than 3 against 1. I always wondered how he actually lasted so long with the band...he always seemed the weak link.[/quote]

apparently when Talas supported VH, Roth was impressed with Billy Sheehan and wanted him in the band (mainly for visual reasons). however they decided in the end to keep MA because of his vocal ability.
hence why DLR and MA aren't too fond of each other, and DLR's obvious choice of bassist when he got kicked out of VH.

also Eddie Van Halen offered Sheehan the gig with VH with DLR back, but he declined.
(Sheehan mentions all this in various recent podcast interviews)