Why become a member? ×

Importing strings from the States by Ebay

Graham

Anyone done this? These look like a bargain, but I don't know if I'm going to get hit with import duty, even still might be cheaper.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=110298339791&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=75030606121

You can get them here for about that.

Try this guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-Nickel-Lo-Riders-Bass-Strings-45-105-Medium-NMH-45-/251165639820?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7aa3848c

Ive bought stuff from him before and he's very good

Yes I get most of my strings from the states via ebay sellers with no problems if the declared value is less than £18 IIRC, sometimes it's 2 weeks or more wait.

IMO the example you've shown ain't a worthwhile saving, most what I get are 1/2 UK price sometimes better!

Cheerz, John

I have found that, in general, and to France, stuff sent using USPS does not attract duty etc. (at least, for these sort of values...), whereby UPS and others systematically do. May not be the same for UK, but thats my experience over many years of buying from the States. My Xaviere guitar, for instance, valued at 200€, came straight to my door, not through Customs, as have done many drum parts and accessories.
Just my tuppence worth.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1351271619' post='1849595']
I've bought lots of strings from the states via ebay and usually don't get hit for import duty.
Last time I was caught in the net.
The note on the envelope said 'Customs charges are applied to imports into the EU with a value over £15 for VAT'.
They also added £8 Royal Mail handling fee.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1351271655' post='1849597']
I have found that, in general, and to France, stuff sent using USPS does not attract duty etc. (at least, for these sort of values...), whereby UPS and others systematically do. May not be the same for UK, but thats my experience over many years of buying from the States. My Xaviere guitar, for instance, valued at 200€, came straight to my door, not through Customs, as have done many drum parts and accessories.
Just my tuppence worth.
[/quote]
I was caught a few weeks back, not strings but a small parcel, I got a card to say £14.96 to pay. When I went to the collection office & saw the parcel it had customs ticket on it, basically it was on declared value of about $55, £6.96 VAT & duty + £8 Royal Mail handling fee! The guy behind the counter reckoned it's just pot luck & they only pull about 1 in 50. I dunno :rolleyes:

The safest thing to do is to assume that you will be charged VAT (20%) at customs on the declared price plus the cost of the postage plus a £8 to £15 handling charge when working out if it's worthwhile buying strings from outside the EU. (You won't be liable for import duty - which is separate from the VAT charged - unless you are buying several hundred pounds worth of strings in a single order.) Then if you don't have to pay consider it an extra discount, buy don't rely on not being charged to make your strings good value.

You might be able to get the seller to under value the strings, but if they are lost or damaged in the post the lower value is all you'll be able to claim for.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1351270510' post='1849580']
You can get them here for about that.

Try this guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-Nickel-Lo-Riders-Bass-Strings-45-105-Medium-NMH-45-/251165639820?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7aa3848c

Ive bought stuff from him before and he's very good
[/quote]
Thanks, basically the same price after shipping.

Yup you will, or could well be stung import VAT and a handling charge by the courier to sort out the VAT from the US

If the value of the items is[list]
[*]Under £15 then you do not pay VAT or Customs Duty
[*]Between £15 & £135 you will pay VAT @ 20%
[*]Over £135 you will pay VAT @ 20% plus Customs Duty (probably 2.7%, guitars requiring amplification are 3.7%) thought the Customs Duty is waived under £9
[/list]

Look [url="https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/9207901000#import"]HERE[/url]

Work on the basis that from the US you may well get caught and add 20% + £10 to the cost to see whether it is worth the hassle

From the eurozone you will have to pay whatever their VAT rate is, not import VAT as it is already in the VAT area