Why become a member? ×

Kit Richardson - Live Vid by BC's bluejay

xilddx

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1351259971' post='1849386']
Really well written stuff, tasteful string arrangements. very nice matey :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1351260814' post='1849395']
Very nicely played. Nice to see a band making the effort to use live strings, too.
[/quote]

Thanks guys! Kit's great at scoring strings, it's an intrinsic part of the sound of the band.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1351261448' post='1849410']
Would love to do a 'proper' mix of your version of Walking on The Moon Nigel, I've loved that song for a very very long time.....
[/quote]

I doubt we'll ever record it mate, it was just a bit of fun for this gig really. Kit suggested it in rehearsal a couple of weeks ago, and we pretty much bashed it out, Kit changed a couple of the bridge chords and we played through it a few times. It's fun to do, great song, I love The Police.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1351409429' post='1850814']
How do you find playing with gloves on?
[/quote]

I am curious about these myself. My first thought was that you have some sort of muscle problem

similar to Scott Devine ? Or are they simply for show ?

Love the music BTW. :)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1351415626' post='1850860']
I am curious about these myself. My first thought was that you have some sort of muscle problem

[/quote]

I'm sure i read somewhere that it was to stop sweat ing the strings and lets you keep them longer. ??
Dave

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1351369349' post='1850652']
Great ,enjoyed watching these look like you are having fun' nice job on the walkin on the moon cover have always loved the drums on that track' you were groovin on the bass too...cheers Paul
[/quote]

Thanks Paul! Our gigs are almost always fun, it's a great band to be a part of, everyone is so nice to be around too.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1351408990' post='1850812']
Really nice. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Liked the bass - very cool.
Good quality vid and sound recording so well done to all.
Liked the idea of live strings too. Don't see it very often.

Hope to see more.

Dave
[/quote]

Yeah, bluejay did a great job! Glad you enjoyed it, thank you. You will see more, Sylvia intends to film a bigger gig we are playing in mid Nov.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1351413919' post='1850844']
Nice stuff! ,)
[/quote]

Cheers man :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1351409429' post='1850814']
Brilliant :D great song, and great look.

Nige, having never met you only "knowing" you from your posts it was nice to see you :P

How do you find playing with gloves on? Not something I'd think Id ever do, but I love the all black look and LOVE the hat.

*Debs pinches hat idea*
[/quote]
[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1351415626' post='1850860']

[/quote]

Thanks Debs and Coilte :)

I first saw Etienne Mbappe using the gloves, he destroys his strings in 20 minutes with acid sweat. Scott Devine has focal dystonia, a neural problem which results in involuntary muscle contraction in his hands, he wears gloves to trick his brain, in fact his doctor said he'd never play again, Scott's a triumph!

They are silk under-gloves from Jasmine silk (link in my sig). They are like a second skin, and playing with them feels very smooth and controlled with no loss of dexterity or accuracy. I feel naked playing without them although I don't often wear them in rehearsal. I wear them mostly for the look, but I like the reduced string noise and smooth slidey feel. I use Warwick EMP coated strings too.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1351416587' post='1850876']
Hey Nigel. Not much I can add to what's been said already, except of course to say how much I enjoyed it! Great to see that live music is alive and well - reminded me how much I miss it. :(

Thanks to Bluejay as well for sharing.

I don't hang out here so much at the moment..... you say there's an EP?
[/quote]

Thanks so much mate. If you click the Kit Richardson image in my sig it will take you to our Bandcamp page where you can listen to all the tracks, buy the download, or buy the download and a physical CD which comes with a lyric sheet and personal handwritten message from Kit. This EP was mixed and mastered by BC member 51m0n and he did an amazing job of it!

We're releasing two more EPs in the next month or so, they are being mastered at the moment. There will be two pro videos as well.

Thanks again :)

Edited by silddx

Well, I took a listen, bought the CD and left a message effectively crediting you with the sale! Well worth at least a fiver of anyone's money IMHO. I agree about the mix as well - a damn fine job all round. I'd have preferred a little more guitar in the mix, but that's just me being an old fart guitarist I guess :lol:.

Did I detect a slight hint of Kate Bush in the vocal delivery? Whatever, a very fine production from all involved. Nice one mate.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1351615750' post='1853311']
Well, I took a listen, bought the CD and left a message effectively crediting you with the sale! Well worth at least a fiver of anyone's money IMHO. I agree about the mix as well - a damn fine job all round. I'd have preferred a little more guitar in the mix, but that's just me being an old fart guitarist I guess :lol:.

Did I detect a slight hint of Kate Bush in the vocal delivery? Whatever, a very fine production from all involved. Nice one mate.
[/quote]

Ooh, thank you!

Kit does get some Kate Bush comments, but KB has never been an influence, Kit's always very humbled by those comments though.

I'm so glad you like it mate, that's very gratifying. Thanks again!

This thread has obliged me to more or less have the EP on a loop this afternoon. My other half is heavily into Dead Can Dance & says she likes Kit's recordings a lot.
I do massively enjoy hearing anything that's outside my normal sphere of listening - and this is seriously good..

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1351618582' post='1853343']
This thread has obliged me to more or less have the EP on a loop this afternoon. My other half is heavily into Dead Can Dance & says she likes Kit's recordings a lot.
I do massively enjoy hearing anything that's outside my normal sphere of listening - and this is seriously good..
[/quote]

Stu, thanks man! I'm delighted the EP has some staying power! We have two more EPs in the pipe and a couple of pro videos. And that will be it. No more recordings unless we get some sort of financial backing. We plan to gig more though.

Thanks again mate :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1351620530' post='1853375']
With two EPs coming up & one in the bag is it not worth making an album, maybe with some video tracks? Or are you finding that EPs sell better/ more cost effective at gigs?
[/quote]

We pretty much nixed the idea of an album early on. I believe Kit has two themes going on these EPs, I'm not sure though, she wants to surprise us :) There are practical reasons why EPs are better for us too, and your point is one of them. I suppose we could pull them into an album later if we need to.

They will sound quite different to Submission Chords, different people have been involved in recording and mixing them, she wanted a certain sound and found a couple of guys who wanted to do it and she really liked what they'd done already (Amber States, Fyfe Dangerfield, Three Trapped Tigers ..). They are being mastered as we speak by the guy that works with Aphex Twin. I've only heard rough mixes but they sound good, very live sounding. I can't wait to hear them, and see the videos!

Bloody great! That's a really tight group you've got there. Kit Richardson seems to be a superb vocalist - she makes it seem effortless, very natural and great tone tone to her voice.

The rest of the band seem well honed and fit together well. Even the bass player...! ;-)

If you're ever playing near Manchester give me a shout as I'd love to see y'all live.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351623413' post='1853427']
Thanks Nik :) I hope you're well mate, don't see you much on here these days!
[/quote]

Hi Nig, I'm okay though incredibly busy at work and at weekends, all of which cuts down my Basschat time sadly.. Always popping in to see what's in the For Sale threads but lately, I'm getting back into looking around the other threads, hence seeing your one.. Hope all well with you too! Nik