Why become a member? ×

Volume, The perception of

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1350633344' post='1841388']
True, of course, but even they have to be as loud as the drummer! He is usually the one that determines everyone else's need for volume... Try turning one of them down! :blink: :angry: :D
[/quote]

...or find a good one who can play without twatting them (and I don't mean by switching to Rods.)Unfortunately,a lot of
pub rock type drummers don't seem to understand this concept.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1350649976' post='1841747']
Stingray is naturally a little scooped (2EQ). Tried all sorts of EQ settings on the bass during the evening. LH500 was set 2-10-2 (close to flat on a Fender tone stack)
[/quote]

Those settings work fine for me with 2 x GK MBE212 cabs. Sounds like somethings not right elsewhere - you should be knocking people over at full tilt.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1350656345' post='1841882']
Might try using the Zoom B3 as my preamp and plug it into the return socket of the effects loop
[/quote]

That's not going to get to the root of the problem - which would appear to be either your cabinet (have you tried your amp through another cab?) or some electrical/connection fault somewhere in your chain...

Having had a couple of Schroeder cabs, I`m amazed at this - they are very efficient cabs, probably due to the mid-emphasis they have. If you`re having to push an amp into one of these, I reckon Panamonte is right - get the guitarists to learn anti-clockwise.

This was previously my amp and I used it with my active precision into the passive input and rarely had it above 4 on the volume through a single Ashdown ABM410. This was used with or without a PA in small and large venues

I changed the valve as I found the original one a bit harsh. You could try putting the original one back in but I never noticed any difference in volume between them, or even just take the top off to make sure that the valve isn't loose.

Have you tried changing the battery in the bass? a dying battery is often the source of distortion

Another Schroeder user here (not the same cab -1515L - but there's a family tendency), and I've never had volume issues with any of the heads I've used, which include a LMIII, RH450, Ashdown Spyder, Streamliner 900, SVT7, and a Mesa M-Pulse 360. Can't help but think there's either some thing wrong with your rig, or you're unbelievably loud. Do you use ear protection? You really should.

When we set up, we do it a bit like studio practice: once the drummer's good to go, he and I play through a few bars to get our levels right and possibly EQ for the room, then the guitars and keys and then vocals set their levels to that WITHOUT having us turn up. It prevents the guitards setting the bar far too high (loud) and keeps the volume wars under control. As has been said before, make sure the guitards have their cabs pointing at their heads, that normally keeps them happy without everyone else suffering.

This^ is what we're aiming to try at the next rehearsal. There's definitely a considerable volume difference between the TB600 and the LH500 through the same cab

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1350722946' post='1842609']

Have you tried changing the battery in the bass? a dying battery is often the source of distortion
[/quote]

This. You're not getting volume when into the passive input and when you get the volume from the active input it is distorted.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1350649976' post='1841747']
Stingray is naturally a little scooped (2EQ). Tried all sorts of EQ settings on the bass during the evening. LH500 was set 2-10-2 (close to flat on a Fender tone stack)
[/quote]

A "little scooped" depending on your settings. A Stingray has tons of midrange. And remember the bass and treble controls are interactive. When you move one, it affects the other to some extent.

If you max the bass control, like many do, you may just get too much bottom end with little midrange, especially if then you max the treble to compensate (like many do) which would only provide top end clang. If you want midrange, I'd turn the bass control to about 25%, and treble to taste. If you need more bottom end, set the amp to provide a "basic" sound with bottom end.
Stingray's 2EQ are basic yet versatile, but you need to play with them a while to "get them".

Also, if your bass control is maxed, it can easily overload whatever you plug into next. So I wonder if this is the reason you distort your input in passive mode.

I have to say that I don't find Stingrays particularly hot in their output, compared to your average P and J bass, and I normally play my Stingray and my slightly hotter SUB (wired in series) through passive inputs when I have the choice of both. Without distortion. But then I use the bass tone control to "tweak" my sound, not as a master bass control: I use the amp for that.

I'm not familiar with your amp. But others are and think you should be able to get enough oomph out of it.
I am familiar with Stingrays in a variety of settings, and I have seen people complaining about a variety of "issues" that could be solved at the bass.
You say you have tried many settings on your bass, so maybe all this is useless to you after all. But I had to throw it out there, just in case, as you mentioned the scooped tone of a Stingray... because in my hands it's a full bodied midrange-rich beast.

An old battery can also bring in distortion and low output... but I guess you checked that already.

Edited by mcnach