Why become a member? ×

HELP!!!!!!! Acoustic bass conundrum......

weepaul

Help,need some advice, I've been offered 3 acoustic basses and don't which to go for.

Crafter BA550 4string.
Aria acoustic AMB50 5string
Ibanez acoustic EWB20wne 4string

So in your opinion which is the best option. I'm buying online so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I think I'd go for the 5-stringer, because it would probably be more comfy to play, using the low B as a thumbrest as opposed to having to place your thumb on the body of the bass. I play a cheap HB 4-stringer and I'm all right with it, but I could probably do with a 5er.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that acoustics tend to have a pretty high action and they're not easy to set up differently, so it would probably be best for you to actually try playing each instrument before committing.

Exactly what I meant, re. adjustable bridge and nut (I'm used to tweaking that too, on my Warwicks).

As for tuning a B string, I see what you mean, but sometimes it's the tuner itself that isn't good enough to avoid getting confused at the lowest frequencies and, in such cases, that has very little to do with the bass or the string.

In all honesty,I'd save your money. Acoustic bass guitars are limited because they just don't have
enough volume. If you want it for looning about at home then that's cool,but you could use you're
electric bass. If you want it to jam with acoustic guitars,you'll struggle with volume and will probably
still need an amp to be heard.

I've got a Crafter fretless....it's alright,but it pretty much just sits there.

Well,we have an acoustic gig coming up and I've toyed with the idea for a while.
We're also talking about recording some acoustic stuff.

Anyhoo, heres a wee vid of interest.......

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzTC1uR-Wvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzTC1uR-Wvw[/url]

Well Aria purchased,just have to wait for delivery. From what I'm hearing they're decent enough bass's,only problems being the machine heads wearing out. Just out of interest,can you upgrade the electronics in these things ?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:118665]

Interesting Crafter comments.. Mine is a great looking 5 string that plays well. Maybe I got lucky.

There is another thread on the go that also highlights the problems people have getting acoustic basses to cut through the mix without amplification. Horses for courses!

Edited by Pinball

Well, I got the Aria,nice bass,though they forgot the gigbag :huh: .
Anyhoo,the actions a little high after the 12th fret, any suggestions on how to lower it a touch ?
Also, I hear the machine heads are a bit naff(Gotoh style tuners) would these be suitable replacements ?

I'd keep the action as high as you can. It will help keep the volume as high as possible. There is more room for the string to vibrate. Think how high the strings are off the body of a double bass. If it is too high at the nut then that can be lowered by a luthier if you don't know what you are doing with nuts.

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1351629472' post='1853551']
I would keep the action high otherwise you will get fret buzz - you also have to play it differently than your electric bass and simplify some of your bass lines to suit!
[/quote]

I have owned my acoustic bass since 1980, an EKO. At the time it was the first affordable (i.e. not Guild) acoustic bass. Bulit like a brick outhouse, the neck is massive, the finish must be 1/8" polyurethane. It has an action that is as good as any of my electrics, I do not see or find the need to play any differently. Has been cheap on strings, the original Rotosound Trubass still fitted, and they are very playable even now. Amazing really, or are my standards low lol.

Edited by 3below

I am in tune with my Welsh cousin and as I have oft opined,
my '81 Eko is as good as I have heard.

It is fitted with a K&K transducer, no tone controls, just straight out thro the tail pin it sounds good.
Rotosound trubass too, although i might try flatwounds some time.

I do occasionally use my BDDI, more often to help when doubling on the Electric.
Don't know what the new, round sound hole, versions are like.

The rest of the neck is great,just once you get past the 12th its really uncomfortable........,there are no grooves in the bridge (previous owner must have left it alone) so would filing a little groove help ? Also, can these plastic bridges be replaced ?(I see Ibanez supply there bass's with spars bridge pieces).

• 2 weeks later...