Why become a member? ×

John Deacon's 'Hammer' bassline? Now decide!

thebrig

Thought I might start a new thread on the subject of John Deacon's bass playing in isolation.

On the other thread, I sensed that maybe a few people doubted whether it was any good, or indeed, was it actually him playing at all?

And this is the reply I got from the guitarist in my band, after I sent him the isolated bass line:
[b][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]"[/size][/font][/color][size=4][font=Arial]Oh noooo - this track must have been played & loaded by someone attempting the bass line in their bedroom, I just cannot believe that this is what's on the track, it sounds totally different"[/font][/size][/i][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So I downloaded all four isolated tracks from YouTube, Bass, drums, guitars and vocals, and spent some time lining the tracks up in Reaper, I have not altered them in any way, no mixing, nothing! just put them together and rendered them.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You can listen to the other isolated tracks on YouTube if you want, but hear is the bass line, and then combined.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Bass[/b] - [/font][/color][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNogqF7Bac"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNogqF7Bac[/url]

[b]Combined - [/b][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDDKHK8ZAg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDDKHK8ZAg[/url]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1350142649' post='1835116']
Thought I might start a new thread on the subject of John Deacon's bass playing in isolation.

On the other thread, I sensed that maybe a few people doubted whether it was any good, or indeed, was it actually him playing at all?

And this is the reply I got from the guitarist in my band, after I sent him the isolated bass line:
[b][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][size=4]"[/size][/font][/color][size=4][font=Arial]Oh noooo - this track must have been played & loaded by someone attempting the bass line in their bedroom, I just cannot believe that this is what's on the track, it sounds totally different"[/font][/size][/i][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]So I downloaded all four isolated tracks from YouTube, Bass, drums, guitars and vocals, and spent some time lining the tracks up in Reaper, I have not altered them in any way, no mixing, nothing! just put them together and rendered them.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]You can listen to the other isolated tracks on YouTube if you want, but hear is the bass line, and then combined.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][b]Bass[/b] - [/font][/color]

[b]Combined - [/b]
[/quote]

The bassline in isolation sounds pretty much on the money to me! We do a cover of this in my band and that's pretty much the bassline I play.

Couldn't vouch on whether or nor that's really JD playing it (it does sound a bit bedroom recorded - but then it was the 80s). However, the transitions and octave jumps sound like the style he writes/plays.

Cheers!

PS - The combined track bassline sounds a bit out of time! ;-)

[quote name='dr_skitz' timestamp='1350144297' post='1835153']
The bassline in isolation sounds pretty much on the money to me! We do a cover of this in my band and that's pretty much the bassline I play.

Couldn't vouch on whether or nor that's really JD playing it (it does sound a bit bedroom recorded - but then it was the 80s). However, the transitions and octave jumps sound like the style he writes/plays.

Cheers!

PS - The combined track bassline sounds a bit out of time! ;-)
[/quote]
I only play at music software, :rolleyes: I have know real idea how to get the best from it sadly.
I only spent a few minutes lining the tracks up, but I think that it must be him playing, as it seems to fit in with the rest of the tracks, albeit, a little out of time maybe? :blush:

Chances are, none of the four isolated tracks are actually on the final recording, they are probably takes that have been rejected, which probably explains why they have ended up in the public domain, but I do believe that it is him playing, as there can't be any doubt that the vocals and guitar tracks are genuine.
But I suppose we will never know for sure, but I think it does illustrate that it doesn't always take a nice sounding and perfectly played bass to sound good in the mix.

I imagine that the track would have been compressed, EQ'd and had drop ins on the flakey bits and all sorts done to it.

But the point is, all the fretbuzz and clacking gets masked by drums. So making your line as clean as possible is a good thing, but listening to it in isolation gives a false perspective of it's fit for purpose.

How many of us, if we'd played like that, would have listened back and wanted to bin it.

Queen had years of experience of multitrack recording, I guess they knew what was required and what would work.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1350147768' post='1835208']
It's a great track. The bassline isn't perfect and it's better for it!
[/quote]

+1. The sooner people are able to get round the idea of perfection in technique having very little to do with good music, the sooner people can actually start enjoying music for what it is.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1350153102' post='1835289']
That probably highlights what has gone wrong with music recently. Obsession with getting the cleanest most note perfect recording then adding loads of effects to try to make is sound 'real'. When it sounded better left alone in the first place.
[/quote]

+1 from me.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1350167265' post='1835479']
I don't think that this is Deacon's recorded line, it just sounds too different to the original to my ears.
[/quote]

much as tho the 'remixed' song sounds great, i'm dubious too.

i don't believe someone as experienced john deacon would show so little commitment to the notes - some of the string plucks sound very hesitant, like he doesn't know the song !

BUT - the point is made very well...isolated instruments can sound less than polished, and it's the sound of the ensemble that matters.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1350392288' post='1838146']
... like he doesn't know the song !

[/quote]

Maybe he didn't. How much time did they take between writing and recording?

A story I heard about David Bowie when recording under pressure. When the band went out to lunch he asked to hear Freddy's vocal line. Then joined them for lunch. After lunch they all went back in and Bowie did the song in one take, harmonising perfectly with the 'previously unheard' Freddy vocal. Freddy was astounded at how good Bowie appeared to be.

So no practice with the band even before visiting the studio. Just turn up and record something....

It will be a real take anyway.

I have Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody recordings and there's about 4 or 5 takes of vocals, guitars and pianos etc sometimes all on the same piece of tape since it was all limited back then to having to bounce down onto the same track.
I think there's about 40 odd tracks in Bohemian Rhapsody in total.

Also, the isolated bass above might only be the DI bass we're listening to. There were at least three bass tracks recorded for Queen. DI, amp and room bass.

Edited by Richardflea