Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

just had an email from an artist saying that he want to use a different line up of musicians to "experiment with different musical influences"

wouldn't mind but the artist is a personal friend of mine and an email seems a bit of a cop out really and a bit unpersonal

Edited by Chrismanbass

Unique! Crazy! Wild!
Never experienced anything like it.

Most certainly insane.
Most certainly extremely irresponsible.

But: got hold of some dough, and bought or ordered
- an Orange Terror Bass 500
- a Squier CV 50s Precision, Lake Placid Blue
- a Squier CV 50s Precision, Butterscotch Blonde
- a Beta Aivin 250W head (like the Promethean w. lower wattage)
- a red Ashbory
- a BF Compact plus Midget

I feel I'm very close to be settled for life. Very close indeed, even if I know what GAS can do to man.

"[i]This is a small step for man, but a giant leap for [b]this[/b] man.[/i]"

best,
bert

Got new strings in the mail, DR-LORIDERS 50-110. Always nervous about changing brand of strings. Been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky for the last 5 years.

Anyway, put them on, tuned and intonated. WOW, never usually like strings right out of the package but these strings feel great. So happy. Great acoustic sound as well. And the stiffness is just the way I like it (I tune CGCF). Cant wait to try them trough an amp.

WOW Bert :D

Well yesterday was pretty good on reflection.

Band practice and did rather well at Badge (other band mates hadn't practiced their parts as much as they should).

Then, we were about to play another track.... which has a fairly simple but "busy" bassline..... and the guitarists (we have 3) said "We did tell you about the key change didn't we? Its in C now not A"...... Um, no you didn't. So I replied "Well expect the bassline to be crap then whilst I transpose on the hoof".... well I amazed myself, only made 2 mistakes in the whole song, and transposed as I went perfectly other than that. Really boosted my confidence it did!! :D

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357205160' post='1918951']
WOW Bert :D

Well yesterday was pretty good on reflection.

Band practice and did rather well at Badge (other band mates hadn't practiced their parts as much as they should).

Then, we were about to play another track.... which has a fairly simple but "busy" bassline..... and the guitarists (we have 3) said "We did tell you about the key change didn't we? Its in C now not A"...... Um, no you didn't. So I replied "Well expect the bassline to be crap then whilst I transpose on the hoof".... well I amazed myself, only made 2 mistakes in the whole song, and transposed as I went perfectly other than that. Really boosted my confidence it did!! :D
[/quote]

My normal response to something like that would be "No it's not" then keep playing it in A. It's probably why i'm not in a band :D

Haven't really played bass in a good while. I played yesterday when i was very tired, but it was no use.

First band practice of the new year last night. We're working on a heap of new songs because we're bored of playing the same old covers.

We also had a go at some old stuff we used to play with our previous drummer.

Not everyone had learned everything, but all-in-all it wasn't a bad session and it was good to work on new material.

A good start to the new year.

Tonight is the first practice for the surf band for about a month.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357205160' post='1918951']
I amazed myself, only made 2 mistakes in the whole song
[/quote]

Kudos 'n' all that, but why always with the negative angle? Why not forget about two unimportant mistakes and rather tell us exactly how many [i]good[/i] notes you played?
So: HOW MANY?
;)

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1357227367' post='1919398']
Kudos 'n' all that, but why always with the negative angle? Why not forget about two unimportant mistakes and rather tell us exactly how many [i]good[/i] notes you played?
So: HOW MANY?
;)

best,
bert
[/quote]

Well its a 3 and a half minute song at 100 beats a minute. so roughly 350 beats, roughly 1 note per beat (some quavers but some minims, but mostly crochets) 2 mistakes. so simple maths would say 348 right notes.

Bloody hell thats sh*t loads! I rock!

(Debs steps away from her boostfulness as nobody likes a smart arse, but appreciates the lovely Bert for making her think and giving her an even bigger confidence boost!)

Well after my earlier euphoria, I have now come back down to earth with a crashing bump :(

No sooner than our lead guitarist gets back on his feet after cancer, but today our rhythm guitarist finds out he needs a quadruple heart bypass :(

Gutted for him, as he's a lovely guy.

Also gutted for the band (and me) as we had some great gigs lined up next month :(

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1357243911' post='1919828']
Well after my earlier euphoria, I have now come back down to earth with a crashing bump :(

No sooner than our lead guitarist gets back on his feet after cancer, but today our rhythm guitarist finds out he needs a quadruple heart bypass :(

Gutted for him, as he's a lovely guy.

Also gutted for the band (and me) as we had some great gigs lined up next month :(
[/quote]

Oh, your band seems to have the worst luck. But believe me, i have known a fair few people to have major heart surgery, and none have died. From my experience, it's quite survivable, and when he's back on his feet, it will be like nothing has happened. Still, i had typed "my heart goes out to him" here, but decided to delete it :/ but i do wish him the best! You can get a dep in if you really want to play those gigs!

I put on the album californication and played my way through most of it, with a couple of improvised soloy parts. I was pretty proud of myself.

Also got a set of half round bass strings, and a set of round wounds.

Somebody, please tell me if i should put the half rounds on the jazz bass?

Tell me, should i put the half rounds on the jazz bass?

Tell me, "Put the half rounds on the jazz bass"!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357244586' post='1919858']

oh, you! you're just telling me that because i told you to. :D

Would they suit a jazz or ray better? i think jazz, but unsure...
[/quote]

That's a tough one!!

I have flats on my fretless P bass, and am trying an experiment of flats on my 5 string Jazz bass. Never tried half rounds, so a mystery to me. But I think you need to get these experiments out of your system.