Why become a member? ×

'66 'Slab' Precision Build

Rick's Fine '52

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]OK, I’ve been after a ’66 Slab Precision for some time now, and despite my best efforts, it’s never materialised. I’ve made (assembled/modded) a few replica vintage basses before, which some of you may have seen on here, and decided, a couple of years ago now, to make a replica slab, after picking up an original pickguard some time back. The project was put on hold, for many reasons, not least, finding a maple neck C shape neck. I resurrected the Project around April this year, and obtained many of the parts needed. The project then stopped again, after I became aware of a real slab, and hoped to secure that, alas, this week, that will no longer happen. This is what I’ll be building;[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Every day, I will add to this post, showing the components and parts I’ve obtained. I’ve tried to source as many genuine ’66 parts as possible for the Project.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]This is a list of known examples still around today, as contained within Baz Matthews book;[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]I’ve decided, as there are two sequential numbers contained in the list, that my replica, is going to be F131285, with a neck date of April ’66, and pot codes of 6609. Please note that this is for my benefit only, as a fan/collector, I like the challenge of replicating as best I can. If the guitar gets sold, it will clearly marked as a replica. In any case, it’s pretty obvious, and wouldn’t fool anyone![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]So, onto the Project. I was only going to take on this project, if I could get a proper C profile, maple-cap neck, with a vintage correct truss rod detail, and they are not easy to source. After much trawling, I found that the Mexican Roger Waters signature bass has one of these. I purchased one of these, and sold off the rest of the bass, and just kept the bear neck. Here’s the pics;[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]The neck was then completely stripped to the wood, frets dressed (They were quite high, and sharp, not the best quality), and are now low and smooth; fingerboard edges rolled, the whole neck was given an amber nitro tint, lightly aged, and a ’66 decal applied. An original ’65 string tree was added, along with the 5 APR 66 C neck stamp (As close as I could get anyway). The only thing left to do, are the tuner relief holes in the back of the headstock, which I’ve not been brave enough to attempt….yet, here’s the finished neck pics;[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000][url="http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/rosesguitar_2007/Slab/neckafter6_zpsa4b3457f.jpg"]http://i208.photobuc...zpsa4b3457f.jpg[/url][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000][url="http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/rosesguitar_2007/Slab/neckafter5_zpsc0392015.jpg"]http://i208.photobuc...zpsc0392015.jpg[/url][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000][url="http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/rosesguitar_2007/Slab/neckafter7_zpsbb819b97.jpg"]http://i208.photobuc...zpsbb819b97.jpg[/url][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000](The last 3 pics wouldn't load on??, so please click on the 3 links above)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]More progress and pics to follow tomorrow, where I’ll be adding pics of the pickguard, shield, neckplate, bridge, and pots.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Any comments, advice would be appreciated.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Thanks for looking[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Rick[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1348144538' post='1809938']
Very interested in this project, as a previous owner of one of these (would love to have recorded the serial number to see if it's on your list).

Are there 2 at V'n'R now or are those the most recent 'sightings'?

Steve
[/quote]

Thanks Steve.

The 2 at V&R are long gone, they are an extract from the book that is around 5 years old I think?

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I can understand wanting to make the finish look vintage and look the part from the casual viewer's eye, but why go so far as to fake the date stamps? Even if you're honest and sell with a big REPLICA in your advert, what's to stop the buyer passing it off to someone else as an original? You say it's obvious, but to my untrained eye on your photos, the date stamp looks fairly genuine, even if it is straighter than most I've seen.

I would have thought fans of the range would want to stamp out fakes out there on the market?

Please note I'm not trying to slag you off or be nasty, each to their own. I'm just interested in discussing the chain of thought that goes into this.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1348148395' post='1810017']
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I can understand wanting to make the finish look vintage and look the part from the casual viewer's eye, but why go so far as to fake the date stamps? Even if you're honest and sell with a big REPLICA in your advert, what's to stop the buyer passing it off to someone else as an original? You say it's obvious, but to my untrained eye on your photos, the date stamp looks fairly genuine, even if it is straighter than most I've seen.

I would have thought fans of the range would want to stamp out fakes out there on the market?

Please note I'm not trying to slag you off or be nasty, each to their own. I'm just interested in discussing the chain of thought that goes into this.
[/quote]

Happy to receive your comments. It's a personal thing, I like to make things as accurate as possible, I enjoy the search and build process, this is my 4th one, and each time I've made them more accurate. It's [i]my[/i] bass, for [i]my [/i]use. If I sold it, I would burn REPLICA into the neck heel anyway. Besides this, [i]you[/i] may think it looks right, but there are several obvious things on the neck itself that show immediately it isn't real. Anyone spending around £10k on an instrument would spot these details from 10metres away, let alone during close inspection, so in reality, it wouldn't be an issue.

Theres a big difference between fakes and replicas. Fakes are pretty easy to spot generally. I have no issue with someone making a good copy for themselves. I'm sure there are lots out there, I just show mine on here, because as a bass player/fan/collector etc, I love to see these kind of projects, especially on rare instruments like the one I'm replicating here. I'm not flogging it as a no-returns policy sale only. Not me, and it will be very much de-flocked if i ever decided to sell.

Hi Rick,

Interesting comments - don't get me wrong, I am enjoying watching your build (and others) and wish I had the patience and skills to do something like this myself, This is borne out by my own attempt at modifying a bass which is still sitting there nearly 4 years later!

I understand what you say about replica v fake, and applaud you if you do burn replica into the neck should it ever be sold.

Again none of this is criticism, I'm just typing questions out loud whilst trying to get my head around it. I thought this might be an interesting point of discussion to see what people thought - perhaps I should start another thread instead of hijacking your build (apologies about that).

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1348151164' post='1810064']
Hi Rick,

Interesting comments - don't get me wrong, I am enjoying watching your build (and others) and wish I had the patience and skills to do something like this myself, This is borne out by my own attempt at modifying a bass which is still sitting there nearly 4 years later!

I understand what you say about replica v fake, and applaud you if you do burn replica into the neck should it ever be sold.

Again none of this is criticism, I'm just typing questions out loud whilst trying to get my head around it. I thought this might be an interesting point of discussion to see what people thought - perhaps I should start another thread instead of hijacking your build (apologies about that).
[/quote]

I'm not going to argue with a man with huge hands!! :P

I welcome all comments anyway, I knew [i]that [/i]picture would stoke some debate though, so I can't ignore the comments it raises. The subject has been covered elsewhere though. If I sold it, I would be sure to make it obviously a fake anyway, as there [i]are[/i] unsavoury folk out there. Trust me though, it's not [i]that[/i] accurate. This is simply my little indulgence.

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1348166476' post='1810368']
Looks awesome Rick.

If it's even a patch on that '54 Replica Precision you did it will be an absolute gem.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
[/quote]

Thanks man, I hope to improve with every step, so I'm hoping this will be the best I've done, I have mostly original '66 accessories too, which will be nice. Can't wait to get it done now.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1348148395' post='1810017']
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I can understand wanting to make the finish look vintage and look the part from the casual viewer's eye, but why go so far as to fake the date stamps?
[/quote]
I don't get it either... faking details that are usually out of sight is a few steps too far IMO. But, each to their own.

Rick - apologies if I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that you've advertised a detailed (and lovely) fake relic on BC before, clearly described as a fake - but with no markings on the instrument to make it clear.

I remember raising an eyebrow at the time - sorry if I'm wrong.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1348170990' post='1810464']
Rick - apologies if I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that you've advertised a detailed (and lovely) fake relic on BC before, clearly described as a fake - but with no markings on the instrument to make it clear.
[/quote]

It was a '58 Relic build. It looked right from a distance, but it could never have been mistaken for a real one. The headstock truss rod walnut cap was the elongated one, found on modern reissues, and never the originals. The tuners were modern reissues, the body had a different control cavity routing, the finish was poly, all parts were modern reissues, pots and wiring also. To anybody who would be likely to buy one, they'd know as soon as they opened the case, let alone taking it apart. That particular instrument didnt need any REPLICA note burnt into it, any more than a modern reissue doesnt.

I accept some people will have issues with it, but it's my project. I have no problem with others opinions on it though, although it does seem to be dominating the thread!! :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1348174221' post='1810538']
What is the body wood going to be? Bass Doc, IIRC, reckons the originals were tulip wood.
[/quote]

I've had conversations with Howard about these, although not specifically the wood. He has a great knowledge. There is no reference to anything other than ash for these slabs. There's also vague referencing to the bodies having blue veins showing through the finish. Baz Matthews though makes no reference in his book to these veins, and thats in a book dedicated solely to these 25 basses, and no word. All the pics I've seen also show white blonde finishes, and no evidence of blue veins. lots of mystery, myth, and legend surrounds these, so I'll take the word of those who have seen all the known examples, studied them, taken them apart, and written about them. Some finishes are thicker than others, more transluscent, some are more solid looking, almost olympic white. Some are heavily yellowed with age, others not. Telecaster basses from '68 are similar though, the logs say they were blonde, but some are also much more transluscent than others, so i guess the wood, and person in the spray shop had a big influence on finish during this period.

All formal, informed reference I've seen, states ash, and white blonde, so thats what mine will be.

I've long wanted to build a slab replica. I doubt it would be as accurate as yours!
I have that Barry Matthews book, I was a little sad that it didn't really shed much light on the supposed 'unique' tone these things were suposed to have. It mentioned it several times but didn't really delve into the cause.

Still, never mind eh.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1348183788' post='1810703']
I've long wanted to build a slab replica. I doubt it would be as accurate as yours!
I have that Barry Matthews book, I was a little sad that it didn't really shed much light on the supposed 'unique' tone these things were suposed to have. It mentioned it several times but didn't really delve into the cause.

Still, never mind eh.
[/quote]

To be honest, whilst I enjoyed the book, and any other bass related book, I was very dissapointed, and thought it was a real missed opportunity. The tone, the finishes, the woods, all the things that make it unique were hardly mentioned. People talk about overwound pickups, higher outputs etc, there is no evidence to suggest any of this, but the book didnt cover it. The pictures are also quite poor. I suppose to make it a bigger, glossier affair, would have cost too much to produce for what would be a fairly limited market, and credit to him for even putting it together, but I was expecting more.

I'll be posting some more pics of my project later today.

This is the part that started it all. I saw this advertised about 5 years ago now, as a 1966 Precision Pickguard. I was drawn to it because it was black; the thumbrest screws were beneath the strings; it also had the wide bevelled edge, and slim truss access scoop. I thought it may have come from a real slab, as this style is unique to those. I got it for a silly price anyway, so took the chance. The rest of the bass has basically been built around this, after finally getting it all underway.

The shield is perfectly matched, all holes aligned, and definitely came with the guard, as the rust, age rubs etc are the same.

It's quite worn, white pretty yellowed, and some screw rust, but I have based the rest of the project on this level of wear, so everything else is getting a medium relic treatment to match.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348227847' post='1811094']
That slab-bass is/will be a beaut, Rick. If you`re ever playing at The King Billy and using it, let me know, I`ll come along, would love to see one of these in real life.
[/quote]

thanks Lozz.

The King Billy!, now, I havent played there for a looong time, brings back memories of some very messy nights!! :unsure:

When I get it finished and set up, and you're playing round this way, let me know, and you can have a borrow of it. It may even be ready for November 10th?? I have a pickup issue at the moment though!?!