Why become a member? ×

last few hours for a WAL

Kev

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280220857427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018[/url]

i think the reserve is £2200, goin off a guy who kept bidding til he got to the reserve, and then pulled his bid...

[quote name='BB2000' post='191995' date='May 5 2008, 02:14 AM']Actually, I guess they are worth that. I was wondering today if I'd sell my favourite Wal for £2700 --- and I wouldn't.[/quote]

Valid point. I suppose its all relative. I couldnt justify any more than £2k for a bass.

[quote name='BB2000' post='191995' date='May 5 2008, 02:14 AM']Actually, I guess they are worth that. I was wondering today if I'd sell my favourite Wal for £2700 --- and I wouldn't.[/quote]
Sort of my thoughts as well, though a leap in prices like this does seem madness.

Every year I up the insurance on mine - and it is nothing particularly special and nothing like what I paid. I suppose it has to do with Pete retiring.

I would love a 5'er, but unless my premium bonds come up better than they have I cannot see that ever happening now. Could help out my pension pot I suppose, but I cannot really see me ever letting mine go.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='191989' date='May 5 2008, 01:26 AM']i can't see how it can be justified to pay over 2k for one really, doesnt a g&l bass get a similar tone?? cant remember the model[/quote]

Er.... NOTHING sounds like a Wal.....!

The price is all relative. I'm not sure I'd let mine go for £2700 either....

ye but thats sentimental, not because the bass is actually worth that much in cash to you

for someone to BUY one for £2700, they either have serious idle wannabe disease, or they have far too much money, which they must have got from selling their common sense...

Edited by BassManKev

An instrument is worth what 'someone else' is prepared to pay for it! If people are paying £2k - £2.7k for a Wal, then that is the value of them. Conversely, I've just sold a NT' 91 Warwick Streamer that I personally rated as a very good and desirable bass which would have cost you the thick end of £1.5k 17 years ago... I sold it for £600 as that was its value to the bass playing populace :)

You can discuss the vagaries of fashion and/or supply and demand until the cows come home but ultimately you put an instrument up for general consumption and the buyers decide its worth.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='192629' date='May 6 2008, 07:26 AM']An instrument is worth what 'someone else' is prepared to pay for it! If people are paying £2k - £2.7k for a Wal, then that is the value of them. Conversely, I've just sold a NT' 91 Warwick Streamer that I personally rated as a very good and desirable bass which would have cost you the thick end of £1.5k 17 years ago... I sold it for £600 as that was its value to the bass playing populace :)

You can discuss the vagaries of fashion and/or supply and demand until the cows come home but ultimately you put an instrument up for general consumption and the buyers decide its worth.[/quote]
+1. Wal's are a classic. They look good, feel good and sound even better. £2,700 is not far off the price of a Wal when new so it isn't that expensive. Because they are such a good bass coupled with their rarity value you should all be buying one now as the prices will be a lot higher in the future.
I'll be selling mine when they reach £10,000.

Three basses (two Mk 1s and a Mk 3) have sold on eBay in the last week, all for £2k+! Interestingly, the Mk 3 went for the "smallest", which I guess means people regard the Mk 1 as the "classic" Wal to have.

I think this is all to do with Pete retiring, and the uncertainty for future production that this has created, but from what I understand the Wal marque will continue, and importantly be in very good hands, when it does resurface.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='BassManKev' post='192551' date='May 5 2008, 11:25 PM']ye but thats sentimental, not because the bass is actually worth that much in cash to you

for someone to BUY one for £2700, they either have serious idle wannabe disease, or they have far too much money, which they must have got from selling their common sense...[/quote]

It's actually worth much more than that in cash to me.

Thanks for your well thought out opinion on the matter.... ;) :) :huh: ;)

[quote name='cetera' post='193062' date='May 6 2008, 04:47 PM']It's actually worth much more than that in cash to me.

Thanks for your well thought out opinion on the matter.... ;) :) :huh: ;)[/quote]
perhaps your not following what im saying

yes, im sayin it may well indeed be worth £2700 to you, but for someone who has never had a wal before, to spend £2700 buying one is crazy money

[quote name='BassManKev' post='192551' date='May 5 2008, 11:25 PM']for someone to BUY one for £2700, they either have [b]serious idle wannabe disease, or they have far too much money, which they must have got from selling their common sense...[/b][/quote]

Re-read your own statement. Who are you to say any of that? :)

I stand by my original reply.

again, what i am saying is that somebody who isn't loaded would not go around spending £2700 on one unless they were obsessed with idle's tone, however someone with more money than sense would have no problem with it.

Edited by BassManKev

Or, as in my case..... I played a Wal at the Bass Centre in the mid/late 80's & couldn't afford one as I was a student. Many years later & having invested in my equipment & bought and sold to get better gear I found myself in a position where I could buy two (fretted & fretless) of the very bass I'd wanted for all those years.

I don't have more money than sense. I worked hard and saved/traded to a point where I could get them.

I know you want a Wal.... and one day you may have one..... but in the meantime don't slate those that do or choose to buy one for a price out of your current budget.

The price you pay for a bass depends on how much disposable income you have. When I was sixteen, I never imagined ever having the money to buy more than one bass...or to spend more than £300 on a bass. Now I have more than one bass. The most I have paid is just under £2,000. I can't imagine spending more than £2,200 on a bass...but who knows, when I get my earnings up to £500,000 per year and my mortgage has gone my limit might be £2,500.

I'd like a late sixties Rickenbacker. I've never had one, but I would pay £2,200 for one.

Steve