Why become a member? ×

Marlin Basses, anyone know anything?

Themrperson

OK, just had a quick look and your Marlin Rockbass II is different from the old Marlins of yore and indeed yesteryear we are all guffing on about. These can still be picked up on Amazon and are of Indonesian origin.

I'm grateful for the 'Making Music' nostalgia though. Gotta run, my mate is bringing his Spectrum games round and I'm going to tape-to-tape them :)

Edited by loki

I think it's fair to say that anyone who was playing in the late 80s remembers them and few remember them favourably. They were being churned out in Kays catologue and the like

[quote name='loki' timestamp='1347996551' post='1807944']'Making Music' (remember that?!). Happy days...
[/quote]

We had "Demo of the month" in that mag back in 1994. Didn't help us but we won a mic and my Mum was chuffed

[quote name='loki' timestamp='1347998354' post='1807991']
These can still be picked up on Amazon and are of Indonesian origin.[/quote]

Blimey. I had no idea they were still being made. They look like pretty blatant Traben copies. Hopefully they're not as awful as the old ones were.

If some Indonesian company wanted to resurrect a band, they should resurrect Westone - they, at least, were held in fairly high regard in their heyday.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1347996653' post='1807947']
Gowd... what ever happened to Making Music?

I used to like that.
[/quote]

It became Playmusic Pickup then just Playmusic, it was in print up to about the start of this year and now it has gone over to exclusively online. I wrote for it a bit a few years back.

[url="http://www.playmusicpickup.co.uk/"]http://www.playmusicpickup.co.uk/[/url]

Few years back I set up a very old Marlin Strat for a mate who'd bought it for his daughter - £20 in a boot sale. Even with a plywood body, it wasn't a bad little guitar - found myself noodling away on it for an hour or two. Nasty 12th fret marker, though.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

As recall, they were advertised, as beginner basses, and usually came with a little 10 watt amp and a curly lead for not very much money, i really wanted one, when i was a kid i got a marlin guitar , it was black and pointy headstocked and i loved it, i eventuallly sacked it off for a fender strat, and sacked that off for a JV squier jazz that i still have.