Why become a member? ×

daft idea but .......two amps into1 cab?

lurksalot

I am sure there are any number of valid reasons not to , and I guess I will get them, but I had a thought ......

we have a fairly minimal band set up , but some think that the kick drum needs a bit of oomph.
we have no subs jsut PA tops , so, would it be possible to put a kick mic (via a pre) through a power amp and share my shcroeder 210112 to thump it out ?
The cab takes a fair bit of power , and I am aware of muddying the tone with bass and kick frequencies , but to keep the kit to a minimum , does the idea have legs , or will I blow my rig to pieces .

thanks in advance

yep, split the signal and mix but you can't put two power sources into a cab without seperate loads being available within the cab and since your cab will not be designed like this you can't do it that way with blowing up your gear.

So, yes, silly idea.

Best idea is to sub mix the kick signal...but you have already lost a dgree of control which kind of defeats the object, IMO, and re-route at line-level into the amp but a bit hit and miss...as no control.

You also need to make sure your tops can handle kick ..which most can't ...as you also need to have a absolute level of the signal of the kick if not engr'd ..which isn't likely in your case.
Drums are notorious for not having a constant level as the buggers decide to hit the things harder..and that destroys your mix unless attended

Edited by JTUK

It sounds like there are no shortcuts on this one then , thanks for your advice.
I do like the thump , but the guitards don't really get it , and bringing more kit is feasable but in the bands the guys used to play in the sound stage got to a ridiculous point that they got to a pub 3-4 hrs early to set up . I think they get a bit nervy when I propose more kit and set up , Ah well , simple is good I suppose, I guess as we are called Okkams Razor , I shouldn't be trying to complicate the matter :blush:

Cheers Andy, could do that , but just less kit is good , as is less set up , if it was my own stuff supporting the idea I could get on with it but the old Pareto principle comes in , you spend 80% more effort for a 20% sound improvement , or something like that :rolleyes: .
Some might say sound is all , but a harmonious band atmosphere helps aswell !!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1347922591' post='1806821']
Cheers Andy, could do that , but just less kit is good , as is less set up , if it was my own stuff supporting the idea I could get on with it but the old Pareto principle comes in , you spend 80% more effort for a 20% sound improvement , or something like that :rolleyes: .
Some might say sound is all , but a harmonious band atmosphere helps aswell !!
[/quote]

Indeed mate, no probs

I've done it before. Mic-pre into the effects return on my peavey combo. It mixes the effects return with the main input which is my bass. I used the mic pre to control the level of the kick. I also used EQ to cut out most of the low end from the kick mic 'cos I was worried about f***ing the speaker. It seemed to work fine.

Also, when I started playing drums I used a guitar amp, cut most of the low end, and used pedals on the kick - envelope filter and delay being my favorites.

We put the kick-drum through our PA, whether we`re using the sub or not. Admittedly it sounds a lot better with the sub, and when we do it without, we take off a lot of the lows, so as to not blow the speakers, but also reduce highs, so not too clicky. Still gives a nice presence.

Yes you should be ok with the low rolled off and just put it through the PA tops. there will be a perceived low end from the kick when the click combines with the low end from your bass anyway. We do this on larger gigs sometimes where the kick drum is the first thing to disappear in the mix in larger rooms...
Edited for smelling

Edited by brensabre79