Why become a member? ×

bass snobbery

ashgeezer

[quote name='Scoop' post='190768' date='May 2 2008, 06:12 PM']When have you ever seen a Jem bass? Where do I say Ibanez basses are crap? How is it bass snobbery?

I know you've been to the pub but you could at least read it properly before you reply.

And it's never a good idea to be :) when you're beered up.[/quote]

in a slightly clearer state of mind i should reply

i took 'Jem' to be misspelling of 'THEM', hence the frazzeled delusional thingy assuming ibanez are crap.
and the :huh: was poor choice of smilie
the bass snobbery was actually sarcasm which i find is bloody hard to get across in a forum based situation.

my appologies for being a twat ;)

I actually do think that Ibanez, Warwick, Peavey, yamaha, Cort et al just do not have a clue how to market themselves and hense sell basses.
It makes me annoyed. I wish i could get a job with one of thier marketing departments.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='190297' date='May 2 2008, 09:26 AM']Some of my favourite sounds for me have come from 'cheaper' basses. They're just tools at the end of the day.

I just recorded a fair portion of my album with an old jap bass I bought off ebay ages ago, it sounds great in the mix..

When it comes to recording and capturing sounds, you'll find that gear snobbery doesn't really wash in the mix. Most things sounds good as long as they are intoned correctly and played very tight. More often than not, compression and EQ is used during the mix to the extent where it takes on a sound of it's own anyway.

It all depends on the individual. I prefer 2nd or 3rd hand basses that have a story to tell. I've played a variety of brands from cheap to expensive and they all bring something different to the table. IMO of course.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Oi, ......Wheres ya Tool ! (in a Carlin,SCUM,Styley!)

There are thousands of basses that sound better than Fenders/Musicmans. Then there have been the tests to see if you could tell the difference between a £50 P bass and a Fender MIA P bass. Half the people who guessed were wrong. Just goes to show a lot of people only buy because of the badge.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='192892' date='May 6 2008, 01:24 PM']I actually do think that Ibanez, Warwick, Peavey, yamaha, Cort et al just do not have a clue how to market themselves and hense sell basses.
It makes me annoyed. I wish i could get a job with one of thier marketing departments.[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for:

Warwick: Sales Assistant - UK

---------------------------

Sales Assistant needed for the Warwick UK Branch. If selected, you would be responsible for selling musical products such as, RockBass by Warwick, Hipshot Products, Floyd Rose, Kahler, MEC Electronics, Warwick Strings, RockBag, RockStand, RockCase and RockCable.

We are looking for an ambitious salesperson with experience within the MI Industry. The position is office-based and located in Manchester. Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm

You will be expected to be determined, highly motivated and employ a disciplined and strong work ethic.

The right candidate will receive a competitive salary and commission structure.

Please email your cv to:
[email protected]

-----------------------------------------

"Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm"

Let us know how you get on :)

Edited by OldGit

I have cheap basses. More through neccesity than choice.. but I have to say my Shine SB55 5 string is the best sounding bass I've ever played... and it was only £149.
Price doesn't represent quality or how well it suits what you're after in a bass.

I think the sound of a bass has nothing to do with the amount you pay for it etc. I think it's the "playability" the smothness of your neck's join, ot the frets or whatever.

I personally have no problem playing a sh*tter of a bass. I treat it as a challenge. As long as the intonation's ok, and I'm playing through a decent rig, I can make it sound good. The amount of players who have borrowed my rig to use with a sh*t bass and have sounded amazing......

What gets me is the unnecessary name dropping that goes on. For (hypothetical) example we don't get 'I carry my lead and strings in my gig bag', instead we get 'I carry my lead and strings in my Shuker/Alembic/Wal (delete/add as appropriate) gig bag'. Sure there are discussions where the details of the kit are required, but so often it's not yet we are given it anyway.

Similarly great lists of the basses and kit you have attached to your posts is surely not required. We only need to know that your a bass player, and everything else can be revealed as and when appropriate?

OK, Rant over. I'm ducking already.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='193145' date='May 6 2008, 06:06 PM']What gets me is the unnecessary name dropping that goes on. For (hypothetical) example we don't get 'I carry my lead and strings in my gig bag', instead we get 'I carry my lead and strings in my Shuker/Alembic/Wal (delete/add as appropriate) gig bag'. Sure there are discussions where the details of the kit are required, but so often it's not yet we are given it anyway.

Similarly great lists of the basses and kit you have attached to your posts is surely not required. We only need to know that your a bass player, and everything else can be revealed as and when appropriate?

OK, Rant over. I'm ducking already.[/quote]
I know what you mean. They always bring something pointless into the equation but to Joe public that name could mean Tesco value!

Another thing that get's my goat is whenever you buy an instrument - other musicians always ask how much it cost. It's like if it is below a certain price it's not good, but if it's above a certain price then it must be excellent. One guy I knew got a Gibson LP Studio for Xmas and was banging on about how it cost £750, was made in America etc. We compared it to another guy's guitar - a Washburn WI200E, basically Washburn's twist on a LP but with EMG's - which cost him £300. The Washburn blew the Gibbo out the water. How we laughed at him. :)

I have no idea whether I'm really a bass snob or not, because budget has always been a major factor. I suppose [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18385"]my Tune[/url] is an "aspirational" instrument, since it's a cheaper copy of an expensive Japanese instrument, and I only jumped on it because it was going for half RRP (about £300). There seems to be a whole "guitar ladder" thing associated with Fenders, from Squier, through Korea, Mexico, Japan, to the USA. (I can't remember whether Japan is rated higher than Mexico these days - is it?)

I have a MIM and a MIJ Jazz, and the major difference is the quality of the pickups, so I'd have to say MIJ above MIM. Change the pickups on your MIM, and it's vey close to a MIA (USA) instrument, though.

Surely you want a bass made by the firm that essentially invented the electic bass????????? :)

By 1960 Leo Fender had pretty much got the bass guitar right. That is why the Precision and Jazz are still very much with us today.

I have to say that everytime I see another band, I look at the bass player, and if he has one of those "modern" things (Wal/Warwick/pointy thing or other non-Fender like object), I wonder why he can't just use a Jazz or a Precision!

The only other instruments I would have are the other Leo Fender designed instruments such as the Stingray and the G&L L2000, but the new fangled active electronics put me off.

Same with guitars. There is nothing a Les Paul/ SG/Tele/Stratocaster can't do, so why would your guitarist want anything else?????

[quote name='Leowasright' post='193211' date='May 6 2008, 07:20 PM']Surely you want a bass made by the firm that essentially invented the electic bass????????? :huh:[/quote]
Surely you want a car made by the firm that essentially invented the car????????? ;) However, if you buy a Mercedes-Benz today, about all it has in common with the 1886 original is that it has 4 wheels. Being the first shouldn't mean that you can just sit on your laurels and replicate past glories, which is all that Fender seems to do these days. :)

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='193145' date='May 6 2008, 06:06 PM']Similarly great lists of the basses and kit you have attached to your posts is surely not required. We only need to know that your a bass player, and everything else can be revealed as and when appropriate?[/quote]

My list is there simply so that I can support my favourite luthier (other luthiers are available!) and so that someone interested in what I have can ask for my opinion. I don't expect anyone to be impressed....

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='193145' date='May 6 2008, 06:06 PM']Similarly great lists of the basses and kit you have attached to your posts is surely not required. We only need to know that your a bass player, and everything else can be revealed as and when appropriate?[/quote]

I find it quite useful. It gives you an idea of who's using what.

You can switch signatures off, by the way. You don't have to look at them.

[quote name='OldGit' post='193015' date='May 6 2008, 03:58 PM']Be careful what you wish for:

Warwick: Sales Assistant - UK

---------------------------

Sales Assistant needed for the Warwick UK Branch. If selected, you would be responsible for selling musical products such as, RockBass by Warwick, Hipshot Products, Floyd Rose, Kahler, MEC Electronics, Warwick Strings, RockBag, RockStand, RockCase and RockCable.

We are looking for an ambitious salesperson with experience within the MI Industry. The position is office-based and located in Manchester. Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm

You will be expected to be determined, highly motivated and employ a disciplined and strong work ethic.

The right candidate will receive a competitive salary and commission structure.

Please email your cv to:
[email protected]

-----------------------------------------

"Working hours are 8.30am - 7pm"

Let us know how you get on :)[/quote]
MB1. :huh:
Must be willing to work long hours for Nothing....someone i know has previously worked for them!

[quote name='bnt' post='193230' date='May 6 2008, 07:35 PM']Surely you want a car made by the firm that essentially invented the car????????? ;) However, if you buy a Mercedes-Benz today, about all it has in common with the 1886 original is that it has 4 wheels. Being the first shouldn't mean that you can just sit on your laurels and replicate past glories, which is all that Fender seems to do these days. :)[/quote]

Automotive paralells miss the point. :huh: So much was right by 1960 (to quote me later on), why mess with it?

I am an old fuddy duddy at 37 ;) I don't even like it when Fender try to introduce something new! (When was the last time? The Lead 1 bass? or was it the mis-shaped deluxe models?)

If I am a snob, it is that I prefer second-hand basses to new ones. There are very few basses I have played that feel comfortable when brand new. When a bass has been played for a few years the wood seems to settle, the neck wears nicely and the instrument seems to feel so much better. As long as a bass is made from decent quality wood and feels right for you then it shouldn't matter what the name is on the headstock, or what the price tag says. I recently picked up a Yamaha BB615 in Black for £300 - a lovely, lovely bass. The only things I would change to make it perfect is to file the sharp fret ends and cut the G slot in the nut as it is a little high. It is all down to preference. I have played perhaps 200 Fenders and I have only come across 2 that I liked - a 1973 P-bass and a 1966 refinished Jazz. Both were light, really sang and looked lovely. They were also silly money :huh:

Snobbery occurs in any hobby/pastime/profession - golf, cycling, studio recording, designer clothes, cars, computers etc and is usually fuelled by money and envy. I do happen to own a reasonably expensive bass, but I've been playing over 20 years, and bought it because I was (only just!) able to afford it at that time, and decided to go for it because it made the perfect sound I hear in my head (which no other bass I have ever played did). If it had been half the price and a no-name make and sounded and felt the same, I would still have bought it :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='193347' date='May 6 2008, 09:17 PM']If I am a snob, it is that I prefer second-hand basses to new ones. There are very few basses I have played that feel comfortable when brand new. When a bass has been played for a few years the wood seems to settle, the neck wears nicely and the instrument seems to feel so much better. As long as a bass is made from decent quality wood and feels right for you then it shouldn't matter what the name is on the headstock, or what the price tag says. I recently picked up a Yamaha BB615 in Black for £300 - a lovely, lovely bass. The only things I would change to make it perfect is to file the sharp fret ends and cut the G slot in the nut as it is a little high. It is all down to preference. I have played perhaps 200 Fenders and I have only come across 2 that I liked - a 1973 P-bass and a 1966 refinished Jazz. Both were light, really sang and looked lovely. They were also silly money ;)

Snobbery occurs in any hobby/pastime/profession - golf, cycling, studio recording, designer clothes, cars, computers etc and is usually fuelled by money and envy. I do happen to own a reasonably expensive bass, but I've been playing over 20 years, and bought it because I was (only just!) able to afford it at that time, and decided to go for it because it made the perfect sound I hear in my head (which no other bass I have ever played did). If it had been half the price and a no-name make and sounded and felt the same, I would still have bought it :)[/quote]

Totally agree for second hand basses, as long as it's Fender :huh: