Why become a member? ×

NAD: Ashdown Mi12

njr911

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349874199' post='1831588']
I was told last week that the Mi Cabs are expected for delivery in the next few weeks,so I'm guessing that
he's not got the full rig yet.
[/quote]

Boo :(
Well pics and first impression from you too, when they arrive, thank you! ;)

Eude

Hehe sorry to keep you all in suspense. Doddy is correct, the delivery of the cabs was delayed. I have the head but as I don't have a cab I can't give any feedback other than its very small and neat.

The good news is my Mi12 arrives from the lovely people at Ashdown tomorrow. I'll post a picture of the rig then and a quick review after rehearsals on Friday :)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1349905108' post='1832211']
Hehe sorry to keep you all in suspense. Doddy is correct, the delivery of the cabs was delayed. I have the head but as I don't have a cab I can't give any feedback other than its very small and neat.

The good news is my Mi12 arrives from the lovely people at Ashdown tomorrow. I'll post a picture of the rig then and a quick review after rehearsals on Friday :)
[/quote]

Excellent, really excited to see what these are like... :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1349942319' post='1832403']
Excellent, really excited to see what these are like... :)

Eude
[/quote]

I got a Mi12 today.
Initial impressions are great. Really good sound-the horn isn't harsh like some-and it gives a
really full range sound. I've not used 12" speakers before,but at the moment I really like it.
I've got 3 gigs this weekend,so it will get a thorough testing.

It works really well with the MiBass 550...I've not tried it with the Little Bastard yet.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349977973' post='1833088']
I got a Mi12 today.
Initial impressions are great. Really good sound-the horn isn't harsh like some-and it gives a
really full range sound. I've not used 12" speakers before,but at the moment I really like it.
I've got 3 gigs this weekend,so it will get a thorough testing.

It works really well with the MiBass 550...I've not tried it with the Little Bastard yet.
[/quote]

That's excellent news Doddy, I had read somewhere else that the high end was very nicely voiced, not brittle or unpleasant, slightly more vintagey, which isn't a bad thing, I'm sick and tired of slap sounds that could burn human skin, I love a much more old school slap sound.
Are you planing on running two of these cabs then?

Oh remember, pics or it never happened... ;)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1350028499' post='1833591']
That's excellent news Doddy, I had read somewhere else that the high end was very nicely voiced, not brittle or unpleasant, slightly more vintagey, which isn't a bad thing, I'm sick and tired of slap sounds that could burn human skin, I love a much more old school slap sound.
Are you planing on running two of these cabs then?

Oh remember, pics or it never happened... ;)
[/quote]
Yeah,I'll probably go for a second cab pretty soon.

They look just like they do on the website ;) Although I'll try and get a pic at the gig tonight.

Some nice pics on this Japanese site >> [url="http://kandashokai.co.jp/flos/ashdown/bass_amplifires/mibass/mi_12.html"]http://kandashokai.c...bass/mi_12.html[/url]
Very nice too...

Edited by eude

Gig verdict......Ace.

I had no problem being heard on stage with a 6 piece tonight-even with just one cab,I was plenty loud
enough.
Tonally,I was really happy tonight. I've been using 10" speakers for pretty much all of my gigs since '99,and have never
bothered with 12",but it was great. Importantly,I was getting the sound that I want-clear and full range (the bass was
a Warwick LX5,if you're interested),even with the OC2,it never got muddy. There's no attenuator for the horn but I didn't
need one because it wasn't harsh like some are,even when slapping. Plus,it was dead easy to carry.

I'm not just saying this,but the MiBass 550 and the Mi12" cab is a great choice for a gigging musician,both for tone
and transportation.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350089213' post='1834573']
Gig verdict......Ace.

I had no problem being heard on stage with a 6 piece tonight-even with just one cab,I was plenty loud
enough.
Tonally,I was really happy tonight. I've been using 10" speakers for pretty much all of my gigs since '99,and have never
bothered with 12",but it was great. Importantly,I was getting the sound that I want-clear and full range (the bass was
a Warwick LX5,if you're interested),even with the OC2,it never got muddy. There's no attenuator for the horn but I didn't
need one because it wasn't harsh like some are,even when slapping. Plus,it was dead easy to carry.

I'm not just saying this,but the MiBass 550 and the Mi12" cab is a great choice for a gigging musician,both for tone
and transportation.
[/quote]

Sweet :) good to know.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1350334474' post='1837575']
Anyone gt any suggested settings for the MiBass? I'm after a rocky sound. Might put a bad monkey brought it for a bit of grit.

Still not had chance to plug it in
[/quote]

Remember that the rotary knobs allow you to pick a frequency for the Lo Mid, Mid and Hi sliders to boost or cut (the bass slider doesn't have a rotary knob). I recommend you start with the knobs all set to 12 o'clock first and then experiment with picking a frequency you want to cut or boost. Make sure you have the pre amp button pushed in to get the pre amp to work. And also make sure the shape button is not pushed in - unless you want a very scooped sound which is only really useful for slapping.

You'll find there's not very many sounds you can't get.

Edited by gjones

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

With one 8ohm Mi12 cab, your 550 is only putting out half-ish power right? I spoke to Ashdown, and they've recommended 2 x Mi12 cabs to get the full power of the 550.

I recently got the MiBass 220 and one Mi10 (4 ohm) cab, which is delivering the full power of the 220. while loving the tone, specs, and build of the unit, have found the volume a bit lacking, even for practice with a drummer, keys, and two guitarists, so I'm returning both, and thinking of upgrading to your set-up.

Would you say your set up with one Mi12 is more than enough in the grunt department for the kind of gigs you've just done? Or is everything maxed out?

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this given your recent experience.

[quote name='Jehvoz' timestamp='1357999968' post='1931618']
Hi,

With one 8ohm Mi12 cab, your 550 is only putting out half-ish power right? I spoke to Ashdown, and they've recommended 2 x Mi12 cabs to get the full power of the 550.

I recently got the MiBass 220 and one Mi10 (4 ohm) cab, which is delivering the full power of the 220. while loving the tone, specs, and build of the unit, have found the volume a bit lacking, even for practice with a drummer, keys, and two guitarists, so I'm returning both, and thinking of upgrading to your set-up.

Would you say your set up with one Mi12 is more than enough in the grunt department for the kind of gigs you've just done? Or is everything maxed out?

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this given your recent experience.
[/quote]

Ask [b]Doddy[/b], who has also commented on this topic. He's been using the MiBass550 and Mi12 for some time now. He seems pretty chuffed with the setup.