Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB Fusion or MB 800

MikeB

Been looking at these 2 amps and not sure which to go for. The new 800 gives more volume / headroom but not really sure I need it (mainly playing pubs and small clubs). Playing mainly classic rock and blues and really like a round, mellow sound (I think that describes it) so wonder whether the Fusion's valve preamp would suit better. I know the MB Fusion 800 is out soon but not sure it warrants the extra £250ish.
What does anyone advise?

Having had both the MB500 and The MB Fusion, I can`t see anyone ever needing the 800 version. On each of mine, for gigging in a punk covers band, connected to a single 4ohm 4x10, I couldn`t have the volume on more than 9 o`clock. Typical gigs in pubs, holding 100/200 people.

The tubes in the Fusion really thickens the sound out. On it`s own, it still sounds typically GK, crisp highs, and that grind if the gain is set high, but once in the mix the presence of the tubes is easy to notice, making a much warmer presence. It does still sound like a GK though, classic valvey Ampeg it is definitely not, more a cross between GK and Ampeg.

For what you`ve described, I think the Fusion sounds more what you`re after.

I had that exact debate. Actually I'm still having it and probably always will! I ended up with the Fusion. I occasionally miss the brittle top end grind. But I know I'd miss the thick gooey grind more if I'd have plumped for the standard MB heads.

[quote name='MikeB' timestamp='1346666601' post='1791592']
Thanks for the reply, Lozz. I currently use an Ashdown EVO111 but always keen to reduce the amount of gear to lug about, hence looking at a micro. If you have any experience of the Ashdown, how do you think the Fusion compares totally?
[/quote]

I`ve never used Ashdown amps, but have heard them, and found the sounds produced to have been very warm/rounded. You can reduce top-end on the Fusion, plus it also has low and high mid adjustments, additionally engage the low-boost, fairly sure that would achieve something comparable. Certainly you`ll get more of those sort of sounds from the Fusion as oppose to the regular MB500.

I've had an Ashdown ABM575 Evo 3 recently and replaced it with the GK MB Fusion as i couldnt get on with the Ashdown sound.

The GK is a completely different animal - it lacks the big soft (gooey was a great description Jack) Ashdown sound that i didnt like and couldnt get rid of via the eq on the ABM. It has a much more defined midrange (which i love) and i find it more punchy in the mix. Its also really simple to set up - just increase the contour if you want a more old school mid scoopy sound. I run everything flat with a little extra low mid (sometimes a touch more bass) and the contour off and its spot on at most gigs.

ts not so brittle and edgy as the traditional GK heads but you can get close if you want it. Plenty of bass on tap and a tameable treble eq section.

I just think its a really versatile head with a great basic sound and less of a one trick pony than the Ashdown which needed extreme eq'ing for my taste.

ps I get the impression that Ashdowns work better with "basic" (no offence) basses such as Precisions and Jazzes rather than modern active stuff like my Spectors - maybe thats why i didnt get on with my ABM.

Edited by Mudpup

It's worth mentioning that the MB800 has a completely different preamp section. An all FET design for a more valve-like character - for example soft break up.

Here's my review,

http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-10/reviews/gallien-krueger-mb800/

If you click on the magazine link, there's a video too.

Thanks for all the comments - really useful. I guess the real answer is to track down a stockist (hopefully Electro in Doncaster as they're not too far away) and try them out.

Mudpup, I play a Precision and get on fairly well with the ABM so you could be right.

As an experiment I recently played a gig using my Fusion to power two (2) 4-ohm Schroeder 1212Ls wired in series to be 8-ohms.

Despite the theoretical drop in power it was punchy and loud. Perhaps I should bring this set-up to the SE Bash.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1346671489' post='1791669']
It's worth mentioning that the MB800 has a completely different preamp section. An all FET design for a more valve-like character - for example soft break up.

Here's my review,

[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/iguitar-magazine-issue-10/reviews/gallien-krueger-mb800/"]http://www.iguitarma...-krueger-mb800/[/url]

If you click on the magazine link, there's a video too.
[/quote]

Hi,

I've registered with the iguitar site, but my cursor won't align with the login box!
I'd love to read the review and see the vids as I'm looking for either the MB Fusion or MB800 to go with the Barefaced 2x12 I have on order. I currently have a Marshall MB4210 and MBC115 and exclusively use the "Classic" (1x12AX7 valve) channel. Does anyone know if the FET preamp of the 800 sound similar to the tube preamp of the Fusion? I play mostly classic rock and pop in pubs, so I think the Fusion will have enough oomph (the Marshall does).

Thanks.

maggsybass:

I have been using an MB800 with by BF 2x12 for the past 3 months - (10 or so gigs). It is an absolute monster. The best sounding set up I have had in 25years playing bass. You need to play around with eq settings to remove the top end (if thats not what you want!) - but once you get there- you stay there. the footswitch is a good idea and I use that more than I thought.

Apart from the sound - the look on the faces of stagehands when they feel the lightness of the cab and the size of the amp is priceless!!

Enjoy!

Jim

[quote name='maggsybass' timestamp='1372665293' post='2128176']
Hi,

I've registered with the iguitar site, but my cursor won't align with the login box!
I'd love to read the review and see the vids as I'm looking for either the MB Fusion or MB800 to go with the Barefaced 2x12 I have on order. I currently have a Marshall MB4210 and MBC115 and exclusively use the "Classic" (1x12AX7 valve) channel. Does anyone know if the FET preamp of the 800 sound similar to the tube preamp of the Fusion? I play mostly classic rock and pop in pubs, so I think the Fusion will have enough oomph (the Marshall does).

Thanks.
[/quote]

Having had the Marshall MB and the GK MB500, I wouldn`t put the sound of the GK as being like that of the Classic Channel on the Marshall. The GK is a lot crisper sounding. I would assume that the 800 and the 500 are similar sounding.

To get near the Classic Channel on the Marshall I`d go for the MB Fusion, and drop the highs - the Fusion, due to the pre-amp valves is a much warmer, thicker sounding amp than the regular GK MBs.

[quote name='jimwin' timestamp='1372669388' post='2128217']
maggsybass:

I have been using an MB800 with by BF 2x12 for the past 3 months - (10 or so gigs). It is an absolute monster. The best sounding set up I have had in 25years playing bass. You need to play around with eq settings to remove the top end (if thats not what you want!) - but once you get there- you stay there. the footswitch is a good idea and I use that more than I thought.

Apart from the sound - the look on the faces of stagehands when they feel the lightness of the cab and the size of the amp is priceless!!

Enjoy!

Jim
[/quote]
Thanks Jim :-)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372672936' post='2128277']
Having had the Marshall MB and the GK MB500, I wouldn`t put the sound of the GK as being like that of the Classic Channel on the Marshall. The GK is a lot crisper sounding. I would assume that the 800 and the 500 are similar sounding.

To get near the Classic Channel on the Marshall I`d go for the MB Fusion, and drop the highs - the Fusion, due to the pre-amp valves is a much warmer, thicker sounding amp than the regular GK MBs.
[/quote]
Thanks Lozz :-)

[quote name='maggsybass' timestamp='1372665293' post='2128176']
Hi,

Thanks.
[/quote]
Two very helpful replies so far....
Maybe I'll have to go for a Fusion 800 ;-)
Any other thoughts much appreciated.