Why become a member? ×

Which Musicman?

Exile252

I'm thinking of some how getting a Musicman, if I ever get the funds for one. But I was wondering, which do you guys think is best, their all around the same price as well. I'm mostly looking at the Sterling at the mo, just because of the coloured headstock.
What do you guys think?

Thanks

wow this is probably one of the first posts I probably have a little experience on.

I have a stingray 2-band EQ (I prefer it to the 3 band but both good). I always wanted a musicman, right from the start and when I was looking there was the stingray and sterling (this is pre bongo). I really liked the neck profile of the sterling and I would say it is a little faster (closer to a jazz bass profile) than the stingray (more of a P-bass neck). I also found it had a little more bark and grunt than a stingray but maybe it was just that one at the time, the sterling was maple neck, stingray was rosewood.
The BIG issue for me was the size of both basses. I am quite big 6ft 1" (that one inch makes the difference to me) and Im not exactly stick thin and the sterling just looked tiny on me and a little silly. It sounds mad that size should be the deciding thing for me but you have to be comfortable.

My point I suppose is that they are both great and if you try them side by side there are really only subtle differences IMHO. From what I know the Bongo is a very different beast and a lot more flexible but that is just based on others opinion. Sterling's seem to be going for a little more secondhand at the moment and Stingrays are slow sellers at the moment so it may be the time to bag yourself one before the fashion swings back around. I have sold and swapped plenty of bases but my stingray is never going anywhere if that helps......probably not.

Try them all out mate, they're all different in many ways, and simillar in others. I have a Stingray, powerful and punchy, and my mate has a Sterling, a bit more mellow sounding, but with more tone options. Most versatile is the Bongo, but you have to live with its looks. Single pups for the classic tones, two pups for versatility, on any of the models.

Try them all out before you go any further.

what they said...

Personally I dont like rosewood boards, prefer maple, but thats personal pref.
I went from a tiny Jazz neck to the large 'ray neck and I found I prefer it being larger.
You cant go wrong with whatever you buy, its what suits you best and what sound you want from it.

Edited by Jobiebass

To me the Sterling is pretty much the same sound from the Stingray but a little more versatile. It has a much smaller body and thinner neck which some may prefer, but I would rather the chunkiness of the Ray.

I'd endorse the 'try before you buy' but if you are asking for personal opinions... I prefer the down-sized body of the Sterling, which gives you 99% of the balls of a full size Ray but with more tonal options and a slimmer neck. Don't forget that you then have to throw all of the other Sterling pup combinations into the pot along with the Sabre etc :)

The stingray has more balls than the sterling but the sterling has a more comforatable body (IMO) and the neck profile is more like a jazz. The Sterling has 3 pickup combinations but I don't really think they sound *that* different.

[quote name='Exile252' post='189228' date='Apr 30 2008, 08:49 PM']I'm thinking of some how getting a Musicman, if I ever get the funds for one. But I was wondering, which do you guys think is best, their all around the same price as well. I'm mostly looking at the Sterling at the mo, just because of the coloured headstock.
What do you guys think?

Thanks[/quote]
You can get unpainted headstocks on sterlings too. You can also get stingrays with matching headstocks. Order through a dealer and there's so many choices.

You can order a ray and choose:
paint colour
matching or unpainted headstock
pickup config: H, HH, HP, HS, HHP, HSP
scratchplate colour
EQ size (2 band EQ is just a boost, 3 band is boost and cut)
fretboard wood (maple, rosewood, or fretless, which is only available in pau ferro)
fretted/fretless lines/fretless blank
4/5 string

You can also order a sterling with the same choices or a bongo but they don't come with a maple board or non-matching headstock and i'm not too sure about the EQ, they also do a 6 string version of the bongo.

If you want the classic musicman sound, look and feel with a bit of a p-bass neck go for the ray. The sterlings have smaller bodies, slimmer jazz-style necks (which you might like as you have a jazz) and apparently sound that little bit tighter. Then there's the bongo, with an 18V preamp it's monster and VERY versatile i hear. So take your pick.

BTW i didn't read any of the other posts so i'm probably repeating some stuff.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='189880' date='May 1 2008, 06:14 PM']You can get unpainted headstocks on sterlings too. You can also get stingrays with matching headstocks. Order through a dealer and there's so many choices.

You can order a ray and choose:
paint colour
matching or unpainted headstock
pickup config: H, HH, HP, HS, HHP, HSP
scratchplate colour
EQ size (2 band EQ is just a boost, 3 band is boost and cut)
fretboard wood (maple, rosewood, or fretless, which is only available in pau ferro)
fretted/fretless lines/fretless blank
4/5 string

You can also order a sterling with the same choices or a bongo but they don't come with a maple board or non-matching headstock and i'm not too sure about the EQ, they also do a 6 string version of the bongo.

If you want the classic musicman sound, look and feel with a bit of a p-bass neck go for the ray. The sterlings have smaller bodies, slimmer jazz-style necks (which you might like as you have a jazz) and apparently sound that little bit tighter. Then there's the bongo, with an 18V preamp it's monster and VERY versatile i hear. So take your pick.

BTW i didn't read any of the other posts so i'm probably repeating some stuff.[/quote]

hehe thanks for all that. have a go on all three before I make my mind up, though I'm not sure at the moment. Only ever tried the Stringray. Thanks for all the info guys.

No worries :) check the MM website for all the colours by the way, they've got some really nice ones!

I've tried a couple of SUBs, a couple of rays and a sterling, and the sterling sounded lovely, felt really nice, good size, really good string spacing (i like it nice and tight), but the neck felt a little fat front to back... i'm not sure what i'd have to be honest, but i know i don't want a bongo. I'm planning on trying to get either a ray or a sterling by the end of the year though.

I've owned 3 'Rays (all 4 string 2 banders), 2 Bongos (5HS and a 4HH) and 1 Sterling c/w Nordstrand pup. Take it from me they're all bloody marvelous. The Bongo is the best all round tonewise, playability, versatility but yeh (groans...) - the old cliche - not everyone can live with the looks. The Sterling has a lovely neck profile, it's lighter and IMO - punchier than a 'Ray (mine was at least). The 'Ray is a classic and desevedly so but not everybody can get along with the neck (big mitts help). In my experience, you need a good set up on a 'Ray to get the most out of it.

If I was to buy a MM now it'd be a 'Ray 4 HH.

Mhm, now after looking at more basses for extended periods of time, I'm thinking of going for a Geddy Lee Sig or a Marcus Miller Jazz bass instead, anyone know if they are any good?

Edited by Exile252

[quote name='Exile252' post='191784' date='May 4 2008, 07:31 PM']Mhm, now after looking at more basses for extended periods of time, I'm thinking of going for a Geddy Lee Sig or a Marcus Miller Jazz bass instead, anyone know if they are any good?[/quote]

not as good as a 'ray :)

IMHO

[quote name='Exile252' post='191784' date='May 4 2008, 07:31 PM']Mhm, now after looking at more basses for extended periods of time, I'm thinking of going for a Geddy Lee Sig or a Marcus Miller Jazz bass instead, anyone know if they are any good?[/quote]
Horses for courses mush, play them all. I love me Geddy Lee (which is why I bang on about at every opportunity), but it doesn't stop me wanting a Sterling [s]or[/s] [i]and[/i] a VMP :) Bloody GAS :brow:

Edited by johnnylager