Why become a member? ×

Tribute acts degrading?

mcgraham

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346764199' post='1792813']
Yes.

If AC/DC had thought "bugger it,lets be a Status Quo ( or whoever) tribute band then Hells Bells would be out of a job.
[/quote]

This is assuming that the members of Hells Bells had it in them to write and perform original songs that would bring them commercial success. Which is up there with "everyone has one novel in them".

Someone earlier said you wouldn't go to an art gallery to see fakes. But, actually there's a long history of fine art being copied, often by the artist's pupils, and some of these are highly prized. There's also a good business in making fine art reproductions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16835270
http://fabulousmasterpieces-blog.co.uk/are-copies-of-art-as-good-as-original/
http://www.classicartrepro.com/

Admit it, you tribute band refuseniks, none of your arguments stand up. :yarr: :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346763496' post='1792804']
No, it's not. It is more than that. What Dylan stood for in the late 60s/early 70s is not served by someone dressing up as Dylan or even playing his stuff. What the Pistols stood for or Maiden or Joni Mitchell or Zappa or Lennon or The Jam or Yes or Mingus was something more than 'entertainment'.
[/quote]

I'd agree many started that way, like many of us had alternate views at a young ag

But once money and age kicked in, they did what most of us would have done and turned into capitalist hippies, Neil young at least refused to let his music get used commercially.

I'm guessing here but there's probably very few members of a tribute or covers bands that didn't start of with the dream of making it big by writing there own material, after years of playing to 1 man and his dog in some flea bitten hell hole they realise they've missed the being in the right place at the right time boat, so because we all love playing live music to an apreciative audience we start playing the songs of their hero's.
As far as I'm concerned there's still no better buzz than leaving the stage with the cries of more ringing in my ears, yes, some might accuse us of selling out but it's a lot of fun.

I'm going to write a tribute novel....

'In a hole in the ground there lived a Boggit. Not a rotton, muddy, wet hole full of the ends of caterpillars and a mouldy smell, nor yet a arid, empty, dusty hole with nothing in it to lie down on or to drink: This was a Boggit hole and that means luxury. It had a square door like a cupboard, painted yellow, with a shiny, green copper knob on the side. THe door opened onto a wide, long hallway with half-panelled walls and floorboards provided with sturdy chairs and one peg for the Boggit's hat and coat - the Boggit hated visitors'.

You wouldn't would you? :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346833363' post='1793675']

'In a hole in the ground there lived a Boggit. Not a rotton, muddy, wet hole full of the ends of caterpillars and a mouldy smell, nor yet a arid, empty, dusty hole with nothing in it to lie down on or to drink: This was a Boggit hole and that means luxury. It had a square door like a cupboard, painted yellow, with a shiny, green copper knob on the side. THe door opened onto a wide, long hallway with half-panelled walls and floorboards provided with sturdy chairs and one peg for the Boggit's hat and coat - the Boggit hated visitors'.

[/quote]

Been done, not necessarily that subject (although probably has).

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1346829523' post='1793632']

As far as I'm concerned there's still no better buzz than leaving the stage with the cries of more ringing in my ears, yes, some might accuse us of selling out but it's a lot of fun.
[/quote]

As far as I'm concerned there's no better buzz than leaving the stage ( ususally thinking thank f#ck that's over,my self confidence levels are not high) with people telling me " Your tunes are great" and "your sociopolitical stance has made me question the way I live my life".

Each to their own.

[/quote]

Have you upped the tablets today..? :lol:

[/quote]

Now now - we've talked about you and your childrens books......!

Besides - the LOTR has been tribbed , it's called Star Wars.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1346829523' post='1793632']
I'm guessing here but there's probably very few members of a tribute or covers bands that didn't start of with the dream of making it big by writing there own material, after years of playing to 1 man and his dog in some flea bitten hell hole they realise they've missed the being in the right place at the right time boat, so because we all love playing live music to an apreciative audience we start playing the songs of their hero's.
[/quote]

Yep, your right.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346834172' post='1793688']
As far as I'm concerned there's no better buzz than leaving the stage ( ususally thinking thank f#ck that's over,my self confidence levels are not high) with people telling me " Your tunes are great" and "your sociopolitical stance has made me question the way I live my life".
[/quote]

[i]" Your tunes are great"[/i] - nice compliment.

[i]"your sociopolitical stance has made me question the way I live my life"[/i] - too earnest for me and just a little bit scary. :o :lol:

The thing is - there are some members of the population that go to work all week then it gets to the weekend and they want to be entertained - not educated. They want to go to a boozer - have a few pints and watch a band do stuff they're familiar with. Sometimes that might be a straight trib band - a covers band - a fat bastard that insults them and takes the piss while bludgeoning well known tunes into all sorts of strange shapes (not that I know anyone who does that!!).........

That doesn't mean they can;t go see a play the following day - or visit an art gallery - or listen to a CD someone gave them of a new band - or go see another covers band.

Folk are allowed to do what they want - it does not detract from what anyone else is trying to do. It does - however - seem to give some folk an excuse as to why there's nobody in their audience.

Besides - something I'd impress on young bands in particular - Playing other people's music is a good way to see if your skills are developing enough to be able to recreate your original ideas with a degree of competence. You can't bend or push the rules unless you know them first.

I get that but how many tribute bands are reproducing anything that really amounts to pushing the envelope. An AC/DC or Thin Lizzy tribute band isn't going to push any bass player very much.

What is interesting about 'young bands honing their craft' is reflected in the experiences of older musos in places like Boston and LA. I am told that the students who are 'honing their asses off' are tying up all the gigs because they do it for beer money and bring all their mates and the established players don't get a look in. Great for club owners, great for the kids but not so good for the future of the music. The gigs are full of amateurs havign a go whilst the better players are at home teaching more students to take their gigs off them. It's all a bit mad!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346838619' post='1793776']
It's all a bit mad!
[/quote]

Perhaps. But it's also a choice between bands being free to play what they want, where they want, for however much they want and for audiences to be free to choose to hear what they want, where they want for how much they want, or some sort of centralised scheme where musicians are 'licenced', fees are prescribed and ticket prices fixed (and possibly even different genres are somehow enforced).

I don't think anyone is suggesting force feeding any art form to people. All we suggest is that leaving things to market forces seems to result in everyone looking to the common denominator and everything getting blander and blander (like cable/satelite TV - 800+ channels of fluff rather than infinite variation). I know so many people who aren't catered for by mainstream arts/entertainment provision because everyone is trying to corner the same section of the market; namely young people out on the piss trying to get laid.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346834172' post='1793688']
[/quote]

Undoubtedly.

But there's also a buzz in having a whale of a time playing some great songs (made famous by someone else, most likely way more talented) with your mates and giving an audience a great time in having a dance and singalong with songs they love and would prefer to hear/see played live than by a dj, an getting paid for it to boot.

That doesn't mean no-one wants to ever question the way they live as a result of the sociopolitical stance of a band, but not tonight, this event is purely to have a good time.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1346837176' post='1793754']
[i]" Your tunes are great"[/i] - nice compliment.

[i]"your sociopolitical stance has made me question the way I live my life"[/i] - too earnest for me and just a little bit scary. :o :lol:
[/quote]

Sorry....I usually keep my Anarchopunk views off the forum.

Edited by Spike Vincent

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346839735' post='1793798']
I don't think anyone is suggesting force feeding any art form to people. All we suggest is that leaving things to market forces seems to result in everyone looking to the common denominator and everything getting blander and blander (like cable/satelite TV - 800+ channels of fluff rather than infinite variation). I know so many people who aren't catered for by mainstream arts/entertainment provision because everyone is trying to corner the same section of the market; namely young people out on the piss trying to get laid.
[/quote]

Popular music is over 100 years old, Bilbo. Music with artistic integrity hasn't been snuffed out in that time, and I doubt it ever will be. Stop stressing about it - your tide pool is safe.

Who's stressing?

There was a report recently that said popular music is getting more homogenous. Talking about it makes sure alternatives are considered, that's all. No stress involved (I don't do this for a living and no-one is waiting for my next Opus to appear!!).