Why become a member? ×

Plexiglass Precision - FINISHED! Phone Pics Added.

AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346334020' post='1787978']
Mate, the body alone weighs as much, if not more than my Fretless Jazz - I'm hoping for some helium filled parts to finish it off :(
[/quote]

Hollow it all out and do the Metallica oil and water thing.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346271430' post='1787388']
Also, wondering if covering the any wiring in white heat shrink wrap or tape would look better or worse...

Any opinions welcome.
[/quote]

Unless you're planning to polish the insides of the control cavities and wiring channels I doubt you'll be able see them clearly enough for it to make any difference!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1346339388' post='1788042']

Unless you're planning to polish the insides of the control cavities and wiring channels I doubt you'll be able see them clearly enough for it to make any difference!
[/quote]

I'm going to shine them up as much as I can, so it may be worth it.
Still undecided on pickguard material yet (sparkly or not) so I suppose that will be a deciding factor.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1346347357' post='1788170']
MB1.
Hello Andy!
That model boat on the advert works out at around £800!
That axl looks a lot better quality than the Wesley's I've seen.
"looks like your gonna need a bigger boat!"( or an Ashdown 8x10 King Combo)
[/quote]

I know; who actually buys them and sees it through to the end?!?
Hopefully this project will come in way under that!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346343022' post='1788099']
I'm going to shine them up as much as I can, so it may be worth it.
Still undecided on pickguard material yet (sparkly or not) so I suppose that will be a deciding factor.
[/quote]

Shining up the routes is an easier than you think task. Long drill bits are your friend... just don't use them for their drilling properties.

Perspex pickguard. Has to be done.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1346352446' post='1788263']

Shining up the routes is an easier than you think task. Long drill bits are your friend... just don't use them for their drilling properties.

Perspex pickguard. Has to be done.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think clear pickguard is the way I'll go.

Was looking at different cleaning materials, and methods, not really sure what cleaner to use, wondering if carnuba wax is enough.
Will have a go over the weekend.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346355418' post='1788319']
Yeah, I think clear pickguard is the way I'll go.

Was looking at different cleaning materials, and methods, not really sure what cleaner to use, wondering if carnuba wax is enough.
Will have a go over the weekend.
[/quote]

Canuba wax won't do it. You'll need something more abrasive than that, you'll probably want to find an offcut of acrylic to test on... but I would be looking at something as abrasive as brasso and then work with finer cutting compounds before giving it the final polish.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1346404201' post='1788733']

Canuba wax won't do it. You'll need something more abrasive than that, you'll probably want to find an offcut of acrylic to test on... but I would be looking at something as abrasive as brasso and then work with finer cutting compounds before giving it the final polish.
[/quote]

Yeah, brasso wadding on a thin drill bit? Then down to carnuba wax on a rag.

Will have a rummage online before starting.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346411076' post='1788872']
Yeah, brasso wadding on a thin drill bit? Then down to carnuba wax on a rag.

Will have a rummage online before starting.
[/quote]

Or a wooden dowel. Just enough to get some wet and dry round and then some microfibre. Work through the grades first and then start polishing.

Edited by EBS_freak

Been looking at necks on the Stratosphere eBay store, Allparts, Warmoth etc today.

I'm totally confused as to what to go for - Decent necks are crazy expensive.

To which I keep on looking at the Status graphite necks, and thinking a made in UK product of a really high quality may be money better spent.

I have one Irk, and this may be a tad OCD, but I don't want a Red Status logo on it, I'd prefer it in silver or something.

Wonder if Rob Green would even entertain the idea, I'm guessing probably not.

Edit -

Have contacted Rob Green, but have also contacted a UK based Plastics company to see if they can make me a neck in plexiglass, and i'll have a local luthier fret it, fit a truss rod and radius the fingerboard etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

Rob Green says 'no, red logo only' so that's that idea down the bog.

Plastics companies have all turned their nose up.

So...

CH guitars necks, any experience?

Or

Touchstone Tonewoods do a PBass neck I can get at a decent price through work...not the £250 on their website.

Or

Fender neck via the stratosphere...

Might Mite? I've got a couple on bitsa builds here, and although one is better than the other (nothing serious, just the frets aren't quite as well finished), they're both very very good for the money. To put it in perspective, the good one is on a P-Bass which made me sell my two US Ps once I'd finished it. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc, natch...

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1346859844' post='1794142']
Brandoni necks are good...and fairly cheap - give them a call? I think the old ampeg plexi's suggested using toothpaste to polish out scratches....
[/quote]

Hiya - thanks for this, did look at brandoni as I started a project years ago using some of their bits, but they have stopped listing Fender type necks on their website.

May be worth An email; hoping to hear back from touchstone, as their P-Type neck seems decent for the money I can get it for, it's a japanese made Fender copy, so should be decent.
They don't list dimensions on their website though, which is a bit amateurish considering they are a luthiers website?!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1346862483' post='1794179']
Seen these?

[url="http://www.fmw-guitars.de"]http://www.fmw-guitars.de[/url]
[/quote]

Ah, no, they're a bit bonkers, surprised I've not come across them recently with all the googling of see through basses and guitars.
Seen the aurora project pickguards which have a similar look.