Why become a member? ×

Jaco

spongebob

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1346256109' post='1787105']
The person I see in this video is not really the company I would be looking for..
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhPVi2FY-Q4&feature=player_embedded[/media]#!
[/quote]

He had well and truly lost it by then.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1346265865' post='1787257']
When Jeff Berlin said he doesn't play fretless because everyone sounds like Jaco, I think he had a point. For me, Jaco deserves the title of world's best ever bassist. His technique, attitude, composing skills, and sheer musicality confirm this.
[/quote]

The biggest problem with fretless players is that Jaco set such a precedent with how people now [i]perceive [/i]the fretless bass should be played. In reality we all play bass differently, we all choose different notes and rhythmic figures that encompass our own musicality. By Jeff Berlin's logic, every fretted Jazz bass player should sound the same too. But they don't.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1346266364' post='1787266']

The biggest problem with fretless players is that Jaco set such a precedent with how people now [i]perceive [/i]the fretless bass should be played. In reality we all play bass differently, we all choose different notes and rhythmic figures that encompass our own musicality. By Jeff Berlin's logic, every fretted Jazz bass player should sound the same too. But they don't.
[/quote]

For me, Pino pushed it further than anyone else.

[i]The Pusuit of the Woman in the Feathered Hat [/i]is also a great number. It has some serious grooves.

The reason there is no love for that album is because it is so experimental. The eponymous 'Mr Gone' is clearly Wayne Shorter, who puts in about two appearances on the whole record. Most of it just seems like Joe Zawinul flexing his composition skills and trying out various synth sounds. The songs and sounds are glossy. It is jazz fusion, but not as we know it and not as it was known then. It got a lot of flak at the time for sounding 'commercial'; criticism was even directed at the disco-esque handclaps! In comparison to other Weather Report records like 1982, it does seem to lack the firey improvisation WR were so well known for.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1346266364' post='1787266']
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1346268122' post='1787309']
Wonderful player. Very sad mental health disorder. Arrogant as f***. Prone to uncontrolled displays of virtuosity. Bores me to tears. And more so do all those who try to copy him. But he is a legend.
[/quote]

"Bores you to tears"? Really?

Well you're unlucky because for me, he's transcendental on every track he played (when he was straight).

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1346523066' post='1790277']
"Bores you to tears"? Really?

Well you're unlucky because for me, he's transcendental on every track he played (when he was straight).
[/quote]

actually imho the only exception i can think of to his outstanding playing (not sure of the reasons behind it but i suspect they may be very complex) but the playing on ian hunters all american alien boy is rather average as far as jaco performances go :unsure:

He could be a wonderful composer too, when he set his mind to it. 'Three views of a secret' is a beautiful track. Here's the Weather Report original, I couldn't find a link for Jaco's 'Word of Mouth' big band version (which I prefer)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGY25G8n5K8&feature=related[/media]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1346523970' post='1790288']
actually imho the only exception i can think of to his outstanding playing (not sure of the reasons behind it but i suspect they may be very complex) but the playing on ian hunters all american alien boy is rather average as far as jaco performances go :unsure:
[/quote]

Would it be better if he played solos and crazy jazz licks? ;)

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346743435' post='1792487']
Would it be better if he played solos and crazy jazz licks? ;)
[/quote]

no not at all - but it does sound probably more like the sort of stuff where he may have been shown some charts and told to just stick to basics - actually my favourite part of the album is Queen doing backing vox on you nearly did me in :)

ed - but also not forgetting (am sure its probably already mentioned earlier in this thread) his fantastic skills with horn arrangements

Edited by steve-bbb

A lot of the horn arrangements on Jaco's stuff were done by Bob Mintzer and Gil Goldstein reather than by Jaco himself.

Jaco is pilloried for saying I am the Greatest

Everyone loved Ali for doing the same thing. And Bolt.

I think, during that time, JP backed it up. Others have passed him since which is as it should be but he made it happen in the same way that others did on their instruments. He made a mark that most of us could never dream of. YOu can love him or hate him but you have to deal with him one way or another.

PS Jeff Berlin thinks all fretless players sound the same. Jeff Berlin talks but he doesn't listen.

Bit off topic but anyway.. a couple of years ago I had to play in this tv-show and Toots Thielemans was there too..
I walked by, saw him standing there and just shook his hand to thank him.
An hour later he passed by while I was sitting in the hall and sat next to me and we talked about Jaco and the fact that Toots had played on "Three views of a secret", one of my favourite pieces. Without me asking Toots went into his pocket and started playing the theme for me.. I was driven to tears by the sheer beauty of that moment. I still treasure it..
Here's a picture of the two of us that evening.. he is such an amazing and kind musician.