Why become a member? ×

Unexpected request?

LemonCello

The general store just around the corner changed hands a few months ago and is now run by two Sri Lankan guys. Very amenable they are too, plus they sell Jack Daniels £3 quid cheaper than Tesco's!!

Anyway, the previous owners had ordered bass guitar mag for me and I went in yesterday to pick up the new Jaco issue. One of the guys asked me if I played Bass - conversation ensued. Turns out he's a well known singer of Bollywood style music and goes off to London regularly. He told me that bass players in his community (Tamil) are rare and would I be prepared to give him lessons?

So, a deal was struck - bottle of JD per lesson!

Marvellous!

LC

Not impressed. You sell yourself way too cheaply. Same deal with the guy who runs the Tesco would have given you an extra £3 worth of JD. ;)
Great little story. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, reminds me of my Tamil friend Vijayaratnam, whom I used to call my Tame Tamil in front of shocked audiences, whilst he almost couldn't hold his laughter. :)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Well, Pat (which is short for something!) has had his first bass lesson! Lovely chap he is too. He has a fair understanding of music from playing keys and a bit of guitar so knows note values and scales so we were able to make a bit of progress. I got him to do some basic open string exercises to start with to get his right hand in - crotchets, then quavers across the strings etc. I wanted to get him playing to some music quickly so I chose Yellow by Cold Play which is very easy for bass - lots of repeated quavers and patterns for the left hand. His right hand was very natural, able to keep time and rhythm. I had to remind him to keep his left hand parallel to the fingerboard at times but he picked it up very quickly and appreciated playing some actual music!

He's left with his homework and I am a bottle of JD better off! Same time next week!

LC

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm on my second glass as we speak.

Seriously though, it's a real result if I can 'give birth' so to speak, to another bass player in the world and I found the teaching process very rewarding. First time I've taught an adult.

I just hope he doesn't want daily lessons!

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1346095799' post='1785233']
Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm on my second glass as we speak.

LC
[/quote]

Interesting currencies LC ... JD on this thread, cabbages on your bass for sale ...

Enjoy the fruits of your labour! Try and get him to get a bottle of Gentleman Jack for you!