Why become a member? ×

Talk About Sod's Law

GT40Graham

I was playing a gig on Tuesday night and, never having broken a string in 35 years of bass playing - you know what's coming - I managed to break the E string on my main bass. No problem, I always take 2 basses so no hassle. Guess what? I then managed to break the E string on that bass as well and to make matters worse, this was the first gig where I hadn't taken any spare strings! I finished the gig on a 3 string bass but what a nightmare.

Bet I don't forget to pack spare strings ever again!

[quote name='GT40Graham' timestamp='1345890290' post='1782764']
I was playing a gig on Tuesday night and, never having broken a string in 35 years of bass playing - you know what's coming - I managed to break the E string on my main bass. [/quote]

I guess thats a real bummer , but my advice would be to change your strings before they to 35 years old

[quote name='GT40Graham' timestamp='1345892617' post='1782797']
Both different brands of strings, Rotosounds and Ernie Ball I think and they weren't 35 years old!
[/quote]

Not surprised, never had a problem with Ernie Ball but it was Rotosounds that caused me all the trouble. Shame because they sound great.

If I don't change strings within 3 months of putting them on, I will break one. E, had them break. A, them as well. D, not so often but still break. G, snap like a good'n. Give me any make and I'll break them for you. Mind you, I do use a pick and I'm quite heavy handed.

I broke a string because i had to uses a plectrum for one song. I was playing close to the bridge with the song having continuous eighth notes.After about 10 gigs, the constant friction/movement on the saddle.......boing! went the string.
I still don't know how to use a plectrum correctly.

When I used to break them a lot it was from finger picking close to the bridge. Similar story I suppose. Sucks when they go, too, because usually just the core breaks and then the floppy string gets stuck to the pickup and interferes with the other strings. Once I had to grab an A string and rip it off the bass in the middle of a tune and got lots of tiny fragments of winding embedded in my fingers. Blood everywhere by the end of the tune.

I've used Rotosounds ever since I started playing and this was the first one that has broken so I've no issues with them at all. I nearly always use a plectrum so perhaps I was giving it to much welly! Anyway, 3 gigs since then and no further problems, probably because I have a case full of spare strings with me now :D

Edited by GT40Graham