Why become a member? ×

Stanley C is a 5er man these days !

dmz

......our Stan and Stewart in Paris:

Love the 5 string Alembic - no doubt tuned EADGC so he can do his tenor bass duties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvrnmCSM7E&feature=related

Fusiontastic !

Does he prefer the tone of a 30 inch scale instrument over a 34 or 32 inch one ? - I seem to remember reading that he felt it had a bit more bark than the others. Well, when you are playing what he is playing, I guess you are not looking for too much "thud" :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1345497845' post='1778297']
Last time I saw him he didn't even touch his Alembic. Spent all evening on DB :(
[/quote]

That's a damn shame. He is my favourite DB player, but I can only listen to about 5 minutes of that before it gets boring and I want to hear him playing an electric again. I'd be very disappointed if I went to see him live and he just played DB!

Nothing new about him playing 5'er though, though it is the first time I've seen him with a 5 string Alembic IIRC.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1345571845' post='1779012']
That's a damn shame. He is my favourite DB player, but I can only listen to about 5 minutes of that before it gets boring and I want to hear him playing an electric again. I'd be very disappointed if I went to see him live and he just played DB!

Nothing new about him playing 5'er though, though it is the first time I've seen him with a 5 string Alembic IIRC.
[/quote]

He even had an Alembic sitting on a stand all powered up & ready to roll - just didn't touch it all evening :(

It was a US Jazz club with two sets in the evening so maybe he swapped over in the 2nd set.

I saw him at the Blue Note in New York in 2010 - did two sets but only saw the first one, a set with him on double bass. Great gig, made all the better by having Hiromi on piano !

I'd love to see him play one of his his Alembics mind ....

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1345581663' post='1779180']
I saw him at the Blue Note in New York in 2010 - did two sets but only saw the first one, a set with him on double bass. Great gig, [b]made all the better by having Hiromi on piano[/b] !

I'd love to see him play one of his his Alembics mind ....
[/quote]

I can certainly see how that would brighten up your day.....

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1345496808' post='1778273']
They were/will soon be at Ronnie Scott's - anyone go/going?
[/quote]

I did tee the forum up but to little interest: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172643-stanley-stuart-copeland-at-ronnie-scotts/page__fromsearch__1

• 2 weeks later...