Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Non Reverse reissue (September)

NancyJohnson

One of the guys over at LBO has posted Gibson are doing a reissue of the original no-reverse Thunderbird at the end of September. Price is $1,200 (so read that at £1,200). Twin T-bird pickups, Pelham Blue or Tobacco Sunburst finish, black hardware. I'll post some pics as soon as I see them.
P

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1345121506' post='1773805']
Of course I could be proved wrong, but this is Gibson 2012 we are talking about.
[/quote]

More like this is Gibson since the turn of the century we are talking about ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1345208034' post='1774992']
They don't sound right either!
[/quote]

Neither does the Firebird! What is Gibson playing at? I recently bought a red Firebird VII, knowing that the pups were way overwound compared to the '60s models. Does not make sense, reissuing kit if they're not gonna do it right.

Very few Gibson basses were a great success in sales terms, hence the large number of short lived models. Exact recreations would be playing to the same small niche market and competing with used versions of the original. So I think Gibson is trying to take iconic shapes from their past and update them. Whether it works or not is another matter, but I can understand why they'd try.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1345398190' post='1777081']
Didn't they have copyright trouble with the non-reverse, and was not why they reversed it to the reverse shape? How will this sit now?
[/quote]

No it was the other way around. Obviously it doesn't appear to be a problem these days...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1346349571' post='1788213']
I shot an e-mail out...it's a little vague at the moment. No specs, price around $1.2K in the US. There's also an EB2D coming as well. I guess I'll have to start thinking how much I can get for my DJ5!! :D
P
P
[/quote]

EB2D?! Man, this is terrifying news.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1346523183' post='1790279']
As long as these are a heck of a lot cheaper than the current TBird, I may be interested.

:-/

BSB
[/quote]

They may be, glued neck rather than multi laminate through neck has to be cheaper to produce?
I'm going for one, sunburst I think, even though I'm obsessed with blue basses.

We'll see.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346607800' post='1791150']

They may be, glued neck rather than multi laminate through neck has to be cheaper to produce?
I'm going for one, sunburst I think, even though I'm obsessed with blue basses.

We'll see.
[/quote]
Just for the fact of being a reissue than a standard model, no doubt a limited series but I'm hoping it should be cheaper but how they've done things with the guitars could be a whole world different to the bass line.
Sunburst indeed ;)

Just saying, UK members, Im keeping my eye on Thomann than any other UK retailer looking to pick our pockets.

BSB

• 1 month later...

Looks like there's a bit more info out now http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Thunderbird-Studio-Non-Reverse-Bass.aspx apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere. About £920 at Thomann...

Dear Santa...

Edited by deaver