Why become a member? ×

Holy Carp, my dream tone. I think I've found it...

NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1344283144' post='1762302']
The guy w

The guy with his arm in a sling is me! Two operations to correct thumb and middle-finger issues. I look very pretty in blue. That's also me leaping out from between the two flashpods.

Heh.
P
[/quote]

Haha what a coincidence :D

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1344279362' post='1762231']Thanks for this info...[/quote]
No worries. I'd have taken a guess at the model, but one photo wasn't enough, given the colouring. But, for general information, the 400/450 models could be got in solid finishes, mostly black and white, and this alder-bodied version is the one lower PB that would have featured a rosewood touchboard. The 400/450 could also be got with a natural finish or three-tone sunburst (this later version coming with a vintage tinted neck). It's more usual to see these 400/450 models where the sunburst version features a tortoise shell scratchplate. Moving up to the 500/550, this model was mostly commonly available in natural and two-tone sunburst, both models featuring white/black/white scratchplates. Thereafter you move up to the 600/650 and 700/750 models. These models featured better quality hardware and finishes in addition to being either two or one piece bodies, with one-piece maple necks with rose wood touchboards (with the exception of the PB600D, featuring a maple touchboard, and active circuit). One 600/650 model was available in three-tone sunburst, and would have come with a white/black/white scratchplate, but would have featured a rosewood touchboard. My guess, if the body is alder then it's a 450, and if it's sen a 500.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344280957' post='1762269']Although bizarrely enough all of the original examples to be found in the first 5 pages on [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-ContextMenu&q=Aria+Pro+II+Primary+bass&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1243&bih=529&wrapid=tlif134427947538710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=shMgUMeVOMaR0AWXiIC4BA"]google image search[/url] (bar this one ) did...

Filtering out the bad results these are they [url="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/3112361535_df3215225c.jpg"]1[/url] [url="http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/vintagejapanbass/Aria%20Pro%20II%20Primary%20Bass/100_4400.jpg"]2[/url] [url="http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/vintagejapanbass/Aria%20Pro%20II%20Primary%20Bass/?action=view&current=100_4660.jpg"]3[/url] [url="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3321/3437564155_8e068f7316.jpg"]4[/url]

Obviously NJ's one is different in this respect - I don't know much about these Arias (and my question earlier was purely coincidental) but was certainly not attempting to perpetuate any urban myths.[/quote]
One of those if it quacks like a duck scenarios. I'd like to ask the owners of those basses if they'd remove the pickups, and see if there's a code on the rear that starts with an "M" or a "K". If they do, then they've got Matsumoku's homemade variants. With these AP/APII instruments, the majority at this end of the range, PB400/450/500/550, didn't feature DiMarzio pickups. There certainly came a point in time when these models did feature DiMarzio look-alike pickups, before some featured DiMarzio licensed designs, but not made by DiMarzio pickups. But, that said, some models did featured made by DiMarzio pickups, although this is limited. Most are to be found in the PB600/650/700/750 range. Even then it was mainly two variants, the PB600D, which featured a mini toggle switch mounted on the scratchplate to control its active circuit, and the PB700J that featured made by DiMarzio pickups.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Icunningham' timestamp='1344290357' post='1762450']
That bass tone is amazing
[/quote]

It is good. It's so harsh it works.

Still think for most vocal tracks you'd need to tweak the treble of the bass... Even without vocals I'd want to tweak it about the place a little - but that's coz the song is asking for a rockin' lead vox and such.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1344277904' post='1762201']
I love it. All I'd change would be the pick. Sounds like Delrin. I'd go with a nylon 1mm to take the harshness out of the highs.
[/quote]

:lol: We've moved from body woods to pick material? :D

Sounds absolutely wonderful to me - love the 'live' feel, aggression and attack (and the track) - took me back to the power pop of the late '70s and early '80s (in a good way). I listened on a very good pair of cans and the bass did feel a bit right panned ('live' feel?) - a personal thing, but I'd have it a bit more down the middle. Great to hear this with the vocals on it in a final mix

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1344342578' post='1763036']
Shameless plug, but if you want to hear some other stuff we do, go and visit www.nancyjohnson.co.uk - there's a playlist player on the front page.
P
[/quote]

Pretty good... like being whisked back to my youth. (Ramones :D)
Though the TL cover was good too - just enough of the original elements to sing along to but you striped it back and made it your own.

Did you play the Aria on "The Boy Just Loves (Being a Girl)" too?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1344353621' post='1763240']
Did you play the Aria on "The Boy Just Loves (Being a Girl)" too?
[/quote]

I did the first part on the Thunderbird and when it heavies up (the second section) was on my DJ5.

Blitzkrieg was just something we used to warm up with. You'll notice we shout [i]Derek Doyle, Martin Doyle[/i] at the end, which is a little nod to a fighter of a kid our drummer grew up with who had Werner Syndrome and learning difficulties.

I wasn't sure about The Boys Are Back In Town...but it kind of works. I don't think we'll do it live though. I had a similar arrangement by someone else (can't remember who) and Leigh (singer) couldn't get the vocal lines to fit, so elements of it stutter a bit. Lynott had great delivery.
P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344324926' post='1762671']
:lol: We've moved from body woods to pick material? :D
[/quote]

Your point?
If you haven't already, try it the next time you're using a gritty tone. Delrin gives more attack than Acetal or Celluloid. Nylon gives an almost fingerstyle like tone if the correct thickness is matched to picking intensity. Why bother spend ££'s on strings/fx/amps etc to fine tune a tone when one of the most important factors is the cheapest.

Well, we wrote the lyrics. It's a strange thing the way a song evolves and by the end of the night we'd dropped everything down two full tones and the the first draft title is 'I'm In Love With A Contract Killer'. Lyrically, not as dark as you would believe, trust me.
P