Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orange Bass Terror paired with what cab??

thebassman

Hi Guys
just recently acquired an Orange Bass Terror 500 off of JPJ on this very forum, and loving it BTW.

I currently use it through my Mesa 2x12 powerhouse. It sounds awesome, just looks a bit lost. The Mesa is probably one the biggest 2x12's i have come across.

I sometimes also run it through my bastardised, can i say that on here? hope so, Orange crush 35B combo. I basically replaced the awful Orange OEM speaker with a nice 350 watt celestion 12" driver, sounds great, just not sure i would use it at a gig.

What does everyone else use as a cab for their Orange BT, or recommend.
I have been looking at Barefaced cabs, just not sure which one.

I play a lot of pubs/ clubs and some outdoor venues, mainly with no pa support. My Mesa always holds it's own in this situation, so would want a similar spec.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344088997' post='1759633']
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181630-new-ampcab-day-orange-and-barefaced-content/

This person (Duarte) seems to like it ;)
[/quote]

Thanks
Looks like a good set up, I use a Stingray 5, so could be a match made in heaven.
Cheers
Thebassman

It sounds good with most cabs, but for me, I found it sounded nicest with Ampeg cabs. A real old-school sound, nice and warm, set with a bit of break-up, but not full on gain. Keep thinking about getting another OTB as it happens - was a nice little amp.

I'm just about to purchase a OBT. I'm wondering if I'd be better getting the 1000 or for most gigs would a 500 be ok?

I think I'm going to get a SP210 to go with it as I can pick on up s/h easily enough. And also an Orange mini stack looks the nuts. Could you add a second SP210 to boost the volume at bigger gigs?

If money was no object (and if it was orange) I'd get a barefaced compact.

I use the Orange SP210 cab with mine and I've had favourable comments from my band, other bands & various soundmen. I flightcased my cab so sit the cab on the flightcase to boost my ability to hear it well onstage. Of course bigger gigs tend to be mic'd up so no need for anything more :)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1344181438' post='1760772']
I'm just about to purchase a OBT. I'm wondering if I'd be better getting the 1000 or for most gigs would a 500 be ok?

I think I'm going to get a SP210 to go with it as I can pick on up s/h easily enough. And also an Orange mini stack looks the nuts. Could you add a second SP210 to boost the volume at bigger gigs?

If money was no object (and if it was orange) I'd get a barefaced compact.
[/quote]

The 1000 watt will only give you about 3db more than the 500. The Bass Terror is switchable between 4 and 8 ohms. The SP21O is 8 ohms, so using two is no prob, just set the swich on the back of the amp to 4ohms.
Enjoy.

I use an Orange SP210 on an amp stand as a stage monitor which works perfectly for me. To be fair it probably would stuggle in bigger venues without PA support. Although it once coped well in a garden with a drummer and guitarist (1x12 combo I think)

On a side issue (apologies) where are all these venues people play without PA support? I've only ever played 2 gigs without a PA.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1344196857' post='1761146']

On a side issue (apologies) where are all these venues people play without PA support? I've only ever played 2 gigs without a PA.
[/quote]

Depends where you're playing. When I used to play proper venues there was pa support.
I'm in a function band now, and I'd say 99% of the venues don't have pa support. That is for weddings, parties etc.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344192559' post='1761047']

Tentative +2 (haven't got my compact just yet . . . well Alex did say it'd take a little while (6 - 8 weeks)).
[/quote]

The compact looks interesting, especially price wise. Would it be a one cab solution for bigger gigs too?
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1344193378' post='1761062']
Review and pictures when it arrives please.
[/quote]

Oh yes. I'm hoping to borrow / have a camera that's decent and maybe have a vid!

I have a zoom H1 . . . a bit flimsy but sounds good. Based on the experience of others, I'll have the compact within a month...

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1344198711' post='1761187']
The compact looks interesting, especially price wise. Would it be a one cab solution for bigger gigs too?
Cheers
Thebassman
[/quote]

Should be with PA support - without it it depends on the volume / venue.

In an insanely loud metal band a 815 might be needed for a single cab solution. OK now I want to see somebody try to move that monstrosity...

EDIT: I doubt even Alex Claber (Barefaced founder if you didn't already know) could make a portable and light 815.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1344218560' post='1761426']
3 super 15s is only a bit over the weight of an SVT8x10, so not too far off.
[/quote]

4 super 15's LOL :D

Imagine that on a small stage... I'd be afraid to send 50W to them :blink:

EDIT: WOW it kinda puts it into perspective... either BF cabs are insanely light... or are old designs using lead and other heavy metals throughout...

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1344217240' post='1761422']

Should be with PA support - without it it depends on the volume / venue.

[/quote]

I don't have pa support, so it probably wouldnt be right for me then.
I might take a look at one of the Super cabs or even the big twin.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1344276459' post='1762163']
I don't have pa support, so it probably wouldnt be right for me then.
I might take a look at one of the Super cabs or even the big twin.
Cheers
Thebassman
[/quote]

Don't forget the super fifteen...
Or two compacts. The compact is a pretty super 115.
If you put 1000W into two compacts... you're playing very very loud. In a venue where that won't cut it...
You need a PA. IMO. I haven't got my compact yet...

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1344198577' post='1761184']
Depends where you're playing. When I used to play proper venues there was pa support.
I'm in a function band now, and I'd say 99% of the venues don't have pa support. That is for weddings, parties etc.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. thanks, its been bugging me for a while. Now I know. :)

Ive played almost 20yrs and only had pa support once (in the Cavern in liverpool, and that was only so the sound guy could stop you being too loud i suspect) our band plays with backline only and always seems to have a good balanced sound that is loud enough. the OTB with a compact would be good for most but the largest venues IMHO

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344091218' post='1759680']
It sounds good with most cabs, but for me, I found it sounded nicest with Ampeg cabs. A real old-school sound, nice and warm, set with a bit of break-up, but not full on gain. Keep thinking about getting another OTB as it happens - was a nice little amp.
[/quote]

I use mine with an Ampeg SVT210AV, although I had to make a little foam stand to get it to sit nicely on top: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149502-orange-bass-terror/page__view__findpost__p__1658690

Width-wise it's a perfect fit, and with two of these cabs stacked vertically you'd have a loud rig that fires at ear level and takes up bugger all space on tight stages!