Why become a member? ×

Home set-up mics

originalfunkbrother

iv had loads of mics over the years both live and for home recording, akg sennheiser shure audio technica se etc but recently got a shure sm7b and that really is all i need, it sounds awesome for vocal(gives great presence in the mix), guitars (distorted and clean) it is especially nice on bass.
every time i pick up one of my other mics i end up swapping it back for the shure.

SE 2200 II a is a crazy good for not silly money (£270ish)

Ellie Goulding's 'Bright Lights' used a 2200a for all the vocals and bunch of other stuff too (can verify this because the chap that produced it bought it from us!)

apparently (although surprisingly to my ears!) Ronson also used one for Amy Winehouse's vocals on Back to Black!

It's now my go to mic for a lot of things, mostly vocals and acoustic guitars but can be used on cabs and so on.

SE make good mics, the SM7B is a very well thought after mic, the Heil PR30 is superb, the PR-40 is majestic, but expensive, if you want something to tame a shrill voice a Cascade Fathead II ribobn (with the Lundahl tranny if you can stretch to it) is superb.

The Sennheiser E845 can be very good on vocals too.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343826226' post='1755831']
^ As above really!

All purpose condenser on a budget? Look no further than the Rode - NT1A (I need one) - Just don't put it too close to a bass amp!
[/quote]

I've got an NT2 and its a great mic for vocals. Not tried it for anything else but sounds great to my ears.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343944178' post='1757791']
If you can find a good condition second hand unit, an AKG C(LX) 414 is a great mic to have for home recording.... lots of uses and sound great on acoustic instruments too
[/quote]

One of the best mics I've used!

Seriously, if you want an exceptional vocal mic for not a lot of money, get an SE Titan. No longer in production, so lots of new old stock to be got for under £300 (for a mic that had an RRP circa £1,000). Best price I've spotted was £199, for one that had been used as part of SE's downtime replacement programme. Oh, and you get a shockmout, xlr cable, and two cases (wooden one for the mic which fits inside a larger one that holds everything). Those DRP mics also come with a full two-year guarantee.

And no, I don't work for SE.

[quote name='Mark_Andertons' timestamp='1343981353' post='1758024']
AKG c414 is the daddy for multi use mics however, firstly they're very expensive when starting out (even second hand they're 500-700 each) and for those who a re really picky there's a glaring thign they don't do well at all: vocals! They're just too flat and neutral for a good vocal.
[/quote]

They do work extremely well on spoken word.....

For me, if you're setting up a home studio for the first time, the Rode NT1A is a great choice for a multi-purpose mic - I've used it recently on guitars and drums and its fantastic.

SE make brilliant microphones too, if you've got a bit bigger budget then their SE3 stereo matched pair are a great investment. The C414 that's been mentioned is excellent too, and has the ability to switch polar patterns, so for the expense you get an incredibly versatile mic that can be used in a variety of styles.

If you're looking for a few different types of mic then it would be worth getting dynamic as well as condenser mics. The SM57 has been used massively over the years and works well on a budget, although if you;re looking more expensive, have a look at something like the Sennheiser MD421, which is probably my favourite dynamic at the moment.

I have an NT1A and a SE2200, they're both very good. I prefer the sound of the NT1A for vocals, well, for everything really. The SE2200 is very nice, but probably has less "character" than the NT1A - should be a good thing I suppose but the NT1A is saving me time EQing etc.

For cheap mics though, Karma mics are a good bet.