Why become a member? ×

preamps.... and my thought of the day

LukeFRC

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1343762784' post='1754919']
Ahem!
[/quote]

or maybe it's just that when they do loads of them don't fit on my bass! :P
While you're about it.... and people are reading, remind me what preamp you've got for sale?:D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343750610' post='1754621']
Luke's thought of the day.... preamps don't come up for sale secondhand that often do they?
[/quote]

True but in a forum where most guys venturing under the hood would rather pay a bloke to build them the simplest of looms than solder one up for themselves, it's hardly surprising. :ph34r:

Are more people choosing to go passive these days? My basses are a pretty mixed bunch but once I found out how to build a passive bass boost circuit there was no looking back.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343765344' post='1754984']
True but in a forum where most guys venturing under the hood would rather pay a bloke to build them the simplest of looms than solder one up for themselves, it's hardly surprising. :ph34r:

Are more people choosing to go passive these days? My basses are a pretty mixed bunch but once I found out how to build a passive bass boost circuit there was no looking back.
[/quote]

A passive bass boost? howsthatworkthen? gotta schematic?
And yes maybe you have a point in a fair few folk won't go near their bass with a screw driver - let alone a soldering iron! I'm half tempted to try and build my own, maybe using talkbass's TB11 as a base. but if something came up here I'ld be tempted to give it a go. (Probably I should just buy a blend pot and use the one I have, and pay for the refret)

A couple of possible reasons - it seems that a lot of people who buy Fender basses look to mod them with different pick ups and bridges and things - not sure why but it seems to be the case - thus there seems to be a lot of bits available.

On the other hand, people who buy basses with pre amps, such as Warwicks and Musicman, Yamaha, Ibanez etc leave them as stock - those that do change the pick up/pre amp on a Musicman often retain the parts so they can return the bass to original spec for reasons of retaining resale value - Musicman won't sell you a pre amp unless you exchange the broken one - the same for all large parts of their basses. Thus the market for mods is more limited.

Thus few bits for sale?? Just a theory!

[/quote]

:D In my defence, it's due to visual impairment rather than lack of ability.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1343780959' post='1755287']
On the other hand, people who buy basses with pre amps, such as Warwicks and Musicman, Yamaha, Ibanez etc leave them as stock -
[/quote]

OTOH, people upgrade such basses and keep the OE preamp gathering dust. Not because they want to return it to stock later, but more that they recognise that there is no market for OE pres, because every owner already has one...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343764975' post='1754978']
or maybe it's just that when they do loads of them don't fit on my bass! :P
While you're about it.... and people are reading, remind me what preamp you've got for sale? :D
[/quote]

This one...
[url="../181420-fs-acg-eq02-3-knob-on-jazz-plate-pre-amp-now-with-pics/page__p__1746775__hl__acg__fromsearch__1#entry1746775"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181420-fs-acg-eq02-3-knob-on-jazz-plate-pre-amp-now-with-pics/page__p__1746775__hl__acg__fromsearch__1#entry1746775[/url]

Edited by ead

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1343816469' post='1755560']

OTOH, people upgrade such basses and keep the OE preamp gathering dust. Not because they want to return it to stock later, but more that they recognise that there is no market for OE pres, because every owner already has one...
[/quote]

Upgrading a Musicman pre? I'm sorry, but the main reason a Musicman bass losses value is due to mods.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343826281' post='1755832']
Upgrading a Musicman pre? I'm sorry, but the main reason a Musicman bass losses value is due to mods.
[/quote]

I totally agree but there seems to be a new breed of MM player emerging who can not wait to stick a JE in their newly acquired MM thus rendering it no longer an authentic sounding MM - kind of pointless perhaps but at least it is reversible.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343826605' post='1755837']
I totally agree but there seems to be a new breed of MM player emerging who can not wait to stick a JE in their newly acquired MM thus rendering it no longer an authentic sounding MM - kind of pointless perhaps but at least it is reversible.
[/quote]

True that, at least they can go back :)

[/quote]

Haha, careful now, or that might sound like a good suggestion - nay, [i]a fantastic opportunity[/i] - for you to give back to the Basschat community, by explaining to us muggles how we might go about doing it :)

I'd be interested in hearing a lot more from the pros about the tools they have for the job. I've worked with the wood, I've soldered circuits - but would be interested in hearing more about the people who do it regularly, and simply what kit and techniques they use; rather than my sole example in Jon's workshop, where everything was to hand in quantity!

[/quote]

I think I'm in this camp, though will admit it's a very subjective thing. But I would buy a Musicman for that particular sound, with adulteration.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343833357' post='1755981']
Haha, careful now, or that might sound like a good suggestion - nay, [i]a fantastic opportunity[/i] - for you to give back to the Basschat community, by explaining to us muggles how we might go about doing it :)

I'd be interested in hearing a lot more from the pros about the tools they have for the job. I've worked with the wood, I've soldered circuits - but would be interested in hearing more about the people who do it regularly, and simply what kit and techniques they use; rather than my sole example in Jon's workshop, where everything was to hand in quantity!
[/quote] I would imagine thats his wee secret ;) buy a osprey bass to find out.
I would imagine it's either a bit like the G&L L1000 or the Sandberg Umbo.

[/quote]

this I find odd. For me the preamp is half the sound of a MM. as I type this I wonder if the same is true with my streamer....

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1343816469' post='1755560']
[/quote]

Funny, I thought people bought a Musicman/Warwick etc cos they want it to sound like a Musicman/Warwick etc etc - who would buy a new 3 band MM if they really wanted a 2 band one etc etc.

I don't totally buy the idea that there's no market for pre amps - there's even a guy on BC who is advertising made up MM Sabre pre amps - he's had quite a few replies so perhaps people do want their Fenders or whatever to sound like a Musicman - there seems a much simpler and practical solution to me - and if you have a Sabre with a knackered pre amp, no doubt EBMM may be able to help you.

I liken this bass modding and customising business to car modding - many people don't bother but there again there are people who transplant, for example high powered Honda engines into old Minis - whatever floats your boat I guess! The point about retaining stock bits is a sensible one - a modded Musicman is not likely to be a very saleable commodity, at least for a market price.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1343865314' post='1756712']
Funny, I thought people bought a Musicman/Warwick etc cos they want it to sound like a Musicman/Warwick etc etc - who would buy a new 3 band MM if they really wanted a 2 band one etc etc.

I don't totally buy the idea that there's no market for pre amps - there's even a guy on BC who is advertising made up MM Sabre pre amps - he's had quite a few replies so perhaps people do want their Fenders or whatever to sound like a Musicman - there seems a much simpler and practical solution to me - and if you have a Sabre with a knackered pre amp, no doubt EBMM may be able to help you.

I liken this bass modding and customising business to car modding - many people don't bother but there again there are people who transplant, for example high powered Honda engines into old Minis - whatever floats your boat I guess! The point about retaining stock bits is a sensible one - a modded Musicman is not likely to be a very saleable commodity, at least for a market price.
[/quote]

I honestly don't know. I was just proposing an alternative hypothesis in response to your previous post. If owners do upgrade, I can imagine owners of more expensive basses keeping the OE components for the sake of originality. Owners of less expensive basses might a) not bother to sell the original pre-amp as there's not really a market for such bits or b.) they just upgrade the whole instrument.

Yes, I've seen the thread on here about the MM-type preamps for sale. The price is extremely keen, however, so probably distorts the picture a bit (plus it's is a new component, this thread is about s/h preamps ;)).