Why become a member? ×

Faking It

AndyBob09

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1343945008' post='1757808']

Fixed... :lol:

...and best of luck with the gig..!
[/quote]
Lol I really should go back to using a grown up computer with my sausage fingers ! ;)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1343946589' post='1757838']
+1, good luck. My limited knowledge of the DB is that it's a bit of a whore for the first couple of years.

Once you've wrestled it into submission it starts to get a bit easier
[/quote]

You wrestle whores into submission?!?

Best of luck tonight then! Looking forward tot he conclusion, but sounds like you'll be on good form!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343985387' post='1758131']
You wrestle whores into submission?!?
[/quote]

Shame we didnt know about you before the olympics started, GB dont have an entry for that event this year! :D

Final day in the shed: Without wrestling too many whores, I had one run through of the set for tonight. Because of our god awful, and to be frank, non existent rehearsal yesterday, we're meeting today at 4.30pm to rehearse, soundcheck and what not. Let's just hope the keys and drums turn up for rehearsal today.

I thought that too much time in the shed today would be somewhat counter productive. I'm only going to tire my left arm, not build it, so once through the set will have to do. It hurt and my left arm wanted to give up through my final practice session but I kept going through, with the knowledge that tonight WILL be a lot more painful.

However, charts written, tunes learnt, I'm going to 'wrestle this whore' into the car and head for the rehearsal/gig. It's taken 3 years of my Double Bass sitting in the corner for me to get a gig on it, and one week to 'learn' how to play it. I just must keep it up and hopefully lots more gigs will come in on it and I'll now be able to advertise myself as a bass guitar/double bass player. Exciting.

My next update will be tonight post gig. Maybe even tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Oh and thanks once again for the words of encouragement. I'll try and get some audio recordings. There's a burlesque act too ... Would anyone care for video recordings of that? ;) I jest!

Edited by AndyBob09

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1344005554' post='1758609']
Final day in the shed: Without wrestling too many whores, I had one run through of the set for tonight. Because of our god awful, and to be frank, non existent rehearsal yesterday, we're meeting today at 4.30pm to rehearse, soundcheck and what not. Let's just hope the keys and drums turn up for rehearsal today.

I thought that too much time in the shed today would be somewhat counter productive. I'm only going to tire my left arm, not build it, so once through the set will have to do. It hurt and my left arm wanted to give up through my final practice session but I kept going through, with the knowledge that tonight WILL be a lot more painful.

However, charts written, tunes learnt, I'm going to 'wrestle this whore' into the car and head for the rehearsal/gig. It's taken 3 years of my Double Bass sitting in the corner for me to get a gig on it, and one week to 'learn' how to play it. I just must keep it up and hopefully lots more gigs will come in on it and I'll now be able to advertise myself as a bass guitar/double bass player. Exciting.

My next update will be tonight post gig. Maybe even tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Oh and thanks once again for the words of encouragement. I'll try and get some audio recordings. There's a burlesque act too ... Would anyone care for video recordings of that? ;) I jest!
[/quote]

Best of luck man, it's been a very interesting journey so far. Make sure you warm up and stretch out your hands wrists and upper limbs before playing tonight. Sounds like you're going to be ok. I salute your bravery and hard work.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344010265' post='1758718']
I am more excited about your gig than my own. Take that Sperm Whale by the balls and give it some. Wishing you an enormous hunk of luck and fortune.

[b]Smell you later.[/b]
[/quote]
Let us pray he will fill the venue with the scent of ambergris.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344023652' post='1758953']
Let us pray he will fill the venue with the scent of ambergris.
[/quote]

:lol:
That, or: "Thanks for your warm whalecum! Our next song is "Crashing Gigs on DeeBee". Three, four ..."

Edited by BassTractor

The fact I'm writing to you all, means that I survived and I did not die. Result. Another thing of note for the evening is that I was paid without question and swapped cards with the vocalists - Can't have been ALL that bad.

I'm not sure whether I should start with the bad or good parts of the evening so I think I'll just give it all in chronological order.

We started at 4.30 with a lot of fannying around, however, the keys and drums both showed up and on time - It just took until 5.30 that we actually started our rehearsal. One singer gave us charts and said, "but we're not doing it in those keys", so despite learning the tunes in one key and of one arrangement, she handed out something completely different and was told we were doing even THOSE charts differently. Nice. So, for a lot of the Ella ballads, which are hard enough to follow, required utmost concentration, whilst trying to follow the keys, who was leading, make sure I was in tune, and follow the charts. I just hoped it would all come together through the gig... So there was another vocalist, singing MUCH easier songs. Like, pop charts. Nice. Singing in the original keys that's on the records that was rehearsed. We just topped and tailed with her. Intonation and what not was nice - However, with no ballads, my arm was killing me - No fast swing though, so I was saved there.

We then rehearsed the male vocalist's three tunes. He seemed very laid back about it all and didn't really see the point in rehearsing - But, no. We really did need the rehearsal. So there and then, rearranged Bojangles but was fairly easy.

So, after a 4 1/2 hour rehearsal and finishing up JUST when the doors were opening, it was long overdue time for dinner. Sandwich from Tesco. Obviously.

So, back to the venue and the show was ready to start just as I'd inhaled my sandwich and downed my frapuccino.

The gig was staged that each vocalist would only sing a few songs at a time, then another vocalist then some burlesque, then another vocalist etc, so the compere in between songs and vocalists gave good time for a wee rest between tunes so that was good.

Fortunately the gig went as well as the rehearsal did for the pop tunes, if not better. There was good energy on stage and besides a wee touch on intonation issues, went well for db and my left arm didn't want to be cut off at any point either (I stretched and had a good warm up).

The Ella ballads were awful, however, I think they'd be just as awful if I was on electric bass - Possibly not, because I know my way around that much more though. What I had in my charts and what the pianist was playing definitely were NOT the same things. Thankfully he carried them EXTREMELY well and I just left him to it in the end because I was adding utterly nothing to it.

Overall, I don't think that I shamed myself and most importantly, the guys on stage seemed appreciative of what I was playing and I certainly do believe that I can go away with my head held high - Though, I couldn't look the vocalist singing the Ella tunes in the eye as she left the stage.

Anyway, I'll start and practice that big sperm whale daily so that I'm prepared for the next db phone call that comes.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1344036524' post='1759144']
Can't I just have a pint? :s
[/quote]
I recommend a great number of pints and the longest lie-in ever :D It's going to take you ages to wind down from this!

I still can't decide if you've set a good or a bad example :lol:

Do you feel good? Or do you get the post gig depression like a lot of us seem to?

I feel good. I don't think I really ever get post gig depression as I'm out gigging at least twice a week so as soon as one gig is done, I'm prepping for another.

I don't feel sad or depressed that this gig has finished, but happy that I've found a new challenge and a new instrument. In a lot of ways, it's just the beginning of this journey. Knowing a lot of players who double up on both basses, I hope that I start to ENJOY it, as I didn't truly ENJOY tonight, but playing severe catch up on the rest of the band who had years and years of experience on their instruments, so hopefully the enjoyment will come out of the double bass soon. My teacher said the other day that it's his 'zen' and that I should make it mine. Hopefully a bit of patience and a good practice routine will do me the world of good.

Oh, and definitely bad example. I wouldn't recommend the week I've had to anyone! I've done nothing but play that sperm whale all week and I'm physically and mentally shattered and have not prepped at ALL for tomorrow night's gig - But it's electric bass so all is good there!