Why become a member? ×

strings dont half make a difference

4 candles

never really considered how much strings effect the sound so much. obviously new strings are much brighter and old strings sound dull.

the (heavy guage) strings on my stingray were sounding a touch dead so i swapped them for a much brighter sounding (and lighter guage string) from my jazz bass.

the loss in volume was immense, hardly any output, even my passive precision sounded louder. Ive now restrung the stingray with the old dead fat guage strings and..voilla......big fat bass sounds once again. active bass tonnes louder than my passive p and jazz basses. very wierd

Strings make a massive difference, it's expensive to experiment with lots of different makes and type of string but it can completely change the character of a bass and is the first thing to try if you're not happy with your sound.

Some basses have so much character it'll always come through, but more modern sounding basses often seem to take on the character of the string.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343201399' post='1746788']
Strings make a massive difference, it's expensive to experiment with lots of different makes and type of string but it can completely change the character of a bass and is the first thing to try if you're not happy with your sound.
[/quote]

Yep. So many people rush to replace pickups, bridges, nuts, tuners and assorted hardware when they want to change the sound of their basses. Few even think to change the strings!! :rolleyes:

There are so many brands and gauges that it can become a bit of a quest for the holy grail, but it is definitely worth trying half a dozen or so brands so that you can see (hear) the differences. Gauges too. Heavier gauges = more tone (generally).

I have found that different basses respond very differently to different metals: I used to have a Dean Edge bass with EMG Hz pickups that sounded awful on steel strings but actually quite good on nickels but an Aria IGB with Duncan Designed pickups that was the exact opposite (ie. Awful on nickels but good on steels). My current basses: Warwick SS1, Aria SB1000 and Spector Euro 5LX are strung with DR Extra Life (for the Warwick and Aria) and Spector Nickels for the Spector. Generally I find steel to be brighter with a less flabby bottom (?!) and nickels to be smoother with a big bottom, the DR Extra Life I find to be a very good all purpose string that sits somewhere in the middle and would probably put these on the Spector too if they came with a tapered "B".

I'm thinking of getting my first set of new strings. Thought I might experiment with my squire P Bass and leave my Fender P as it is for a while...... Might get elixirs for that ( good choice ? ). As a newbie I press the strings fairly hard and sometimes I slip off the edge of the G string so I thought I might try heavy guage. Thought maybe custom slinkies...... All strings except the E are thicker...... What do you think or maybe rotosound in a heavy guage........ Will I get a deeper sound out of heavy guage on all strings?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1343461004' post='1751025']
I'm thinking of getting my first set of new strings. Thought I might experiment with my squire P Bass and leave my Fender P as it is for a while...... Might get elixirs for that ( good choice ? ). As a newbie I press the strings fairly hard and sometimes I slip off the edge of the G string so I thought I might try heavy guage. Thought maybe custom slinkies...... All strings except the E are thicker...... What do you think or maybe rotosound in a heavy guage........ Will I get a deeper sound out of heavy guage on all strings?
[/quote]

Elixirs are coated and sound fresh for ages, I had a few earthing issues when I used them but no one else on here seems to!
Rotosounds are fairly cheap and sound great when they're fresh, but I find they go dead quite quickly.
Ernie Ball Slinkys are OK, maybe not the longest lasting string but fairly cheap and give a good all round tone.

I like DR strings, they're pricey but they seem to sound fresh for quite a long time
I sometimes use Status Hotwires, fairly cheap and have lots of bottom end, plus some top end zing.
All the D'addario I've ever tried have been on the bright side, they seem pretty good

Heavier strings will mean more tension, generally a punchier sound with more definition in the lower note. You'll probably need to adjust the truss rod in your bass or it'll go banana shaped, only make small adjustments though, maybe a quarter turn and look at the effect.

I find that heavier gauges just give more tone and volume all round - not just more bottom. Strings on steroids if you like! I've just ordered two sets of DR Hibeams in 50 - 110 gauge from the States. Tone-tastic!!

Good point about the truss rod though. Also a change of gauge may need a full set-up, or at least string height adjustment.