Why become a member? ×

Double bass daily annoyances

Clarky

Replicating the Off Topic thread, I decided to change strings on my old German flatback yesterday. The E, A and G were all nicely sited and as I tightened the D there was an almight bang as my adjustable bridge flew into pieces and the soundpost dropped on to the inner floor of the bass.

Now I have to drive to Malcolm Healey's in SW London to get it fixed and the only days I can do that are Olympic traffic-warning days in SW London. So either I sit in an almighty traffic jam or wait a month or so until I am back from hols and the Olympics hassle is over.

Grrrrr

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1343131947' post='1745715']
..... and the soundpost dropped on to the inner floor of the bass.

[/quote]

That is one of the most sickening sounds you can hear. Most players can re-set a bridge or replace a tail wire but the soundpost is usually a luthier's job.

You could buy the sharp pointy soundpost setting tool and learn to do it yourself? It'll probably end up being just as fustrating as sitting in jublimpig traffic but at least you'll have learned a valuable skill?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1343135370' post='1745815']
In principle I'd be up for that but just googled and a curvey pointy thing costing £49 appeared. Eeek
[/quote]

I know, that's like charging £50 for a coat hanger.

I took my bass out of it;s case this morning, I haven't played it for 3 weeks due to tennis elbow that has returned :( I forgot how long it takes to build strength and callouses and how quickly it all goes.

Sympathies Clarky, you seem to have bad luck lately with the joinery side of things. Great you've got a spare. I don't and it makes me very nervous waiting for that bang.

Hey TPJ, I got bad left side tennis elbow from chain sawing, but found that the bass didn't aggravate it at all as long as I didn't grip the neck but used my shoulder instead. Which is what i should be doing anyway, I'm told.

Sorry to hear that Clarky.
I wouldn't go anywhere near a sound post setter. I know it's a hassle but that's a really hard thing to get right and it makes such a difference to the sound. Also fitting it too tight could damage the top. I would wait till Olympic traffic hell eases then take it to Malcolm or try to find someone more local.

Good luck mate.

[sup]T'was indeed a hell of a bang. On further reflection - and taking on board the sensible advice above - I am not going to attempt an amateur bodge job with a pointed, curvey piece of metal! If the traffic is tolerable on Friday afternoon I will head on down to Morden - more likely it will have to wait until late August[/sup]

A smidgeon of bad luck with the DBs but - at the risk of sounding like some TV engangelist - I consider myself a lucky person - I fell into a great band and just celebrated 21 happy years of marriage. Try not to puke everyone :P Put in that context, a dent and a broken bridge ain't such a biggie!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1343149073' post='1746152']
A smidgeon of bad luck with the DBs but - at the risk of sounding like some TV engangelist - I consider myself a lucky person - I fell into a great band and just celebrated 21 happy years of marriage. Try not to puke everyone :P Put in that context, a dent and a broken bridge ain't such a biggie!
[/quote]

QED re. my previous post about the kind of person you are - coming from another one who considers herself lucky despite having received a few knocks every now and then.

Good luck with your DB - I would skip this Friday and wait.

Well that all ended well. Drive to Malcolm Healey's was reasonably OK, bit of a monster drive back .... but Malcolm reset sound post, reassembled bridge (which is adjustable with a Full Circle) and set it up to play, all for the ludicrously reasonable price of £10 :D

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1343134809' post='1745805']
That is one of the most sickening sounds you can hear.
[/quote]

I'll go one better/worse - hearing the headstock rip apart whilst you're playing in a quiet room. The sound of ripping wood mere inches from my head haunts me to this day - even thinking of it now sends shudders down me spine.

How about the sound of metal on metal as you wrap your car around a lamppost on the way home from an audition as you realise that your DB is supported against the side of the car that took the impact.

Thanks to the car being built like a tank no the slightest bit of damage, but opening the gig bag when I got home was something that required a stiff drink or four :rolleyes: