Why become a member? ×

Stupid cabs

ashevans09

Years ago I very nearly bought 4 Peavey 18" cabs, which were in a local shop and had been the bottom end of a reggae PA. They were going really cheap, like £75 apiece, but they were roughly the size, shape and weight of a washing machine, each. Luckily I decided to move one across the shop to try it out. I put my back out and saw sense.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/158701-fs-birch-ply-4x15-home-made-l75-collected/page__p__1728315__hl__4x15__fromsearch__1#entry1728315

And Orange Smart power ones, half the power you put in is sunk into a speaker performing the function the back of the other speaker would otherwise perform.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342979831' post='1743387']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/158701-fs-birch-ply-4x15-home-made-l75-collected/page__p__1728315__hl__4x15__fromsearch__1#entry1728315"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1728315[/url]

And Orange Smart power ones, half the power you put in is sunk into a speaker performing the function the back of the other speaker would otherwise perform.
[/quote]

The joys of Isobaric setups. Great comment, made me chuckle cuz its essentially true, thanks. :D

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1342973420' post='1743298']
Just out of interest/for a bit of a laugh, anyone got some examples of some really stupid cabs? I'm talking things like 8x15s and things like that.

It's a sunday and I'm bored :P
[/quote]

I can't find the link to it but I've come across a gear collector with a curved display of vintage cabs. I think the biggest was a 6x15 Kustom brand cab from the late 60's/early 70's.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

The Tecamp Bad Cab. 2 tweeters, 4 tens, 2 twelves and 2 fifteens. 2400W power handling but if that's not enough it's available as a special order in 8ohms, so you can use 2 with most amps.

Edited: forgot about the tweeters. Edited by Jack

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1342973694' post='1743304']

Ampeg's 32x10 beast, actually works too, as does the giant SVT on top.

Liam
[/quote]

That's just a normal Ampeg rig with 2 midgets in front of it, the rest is done with camera angles like Lord Of The Rings. That pot plant's only 3ft tall... :D

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1343001135' post='1743774']

The Tecamp Bad Cab. 2 tweeters, 4 tens, 2 twelves and 2 fifteens. 2400W power handling but if that's not enough it's available as a special order in 8ohms, so you can use 2 with most amps.

Edited: forgot about the tweeters.
[/quote]

I actually think this cabinet is wonderful! - I mean it's the height of OTT! :) I know that the techies amongst us have a field day over the common-all-garden 4x10 and it's vertically aligned drivers - but this? Ahhhhhh it's enough to make their heads explode with frustration. This is a beast that wasn't designed with phase alignment in mind, rather levelling houses and I bet it sounds awesome!