Why become a member? ×

YYZ

rogerstodge

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1342757063' post='1740476']
My mate Steve playing all instruments on YYZ............. Makes you sick doesn't it!!!! :D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmP4FngzHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watc
h?v=fZmP4FngzHA[/url]
[/quote]I dont like your mate!!

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1342757063' post='1740476']
My mate Steve playing all instruments on YYZ............. Makes you sick doesn't it!!!! :D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmP4FngzHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmP4FngzHA[/url]
[/quote]Nice. Really nails that Lifeson tone on the rhythm parts.

I have to say, watching Steve's performance makes me realise the 'art' is in the writing and not in the performance. There are moments of 'wow' but a lot of it is not that hard to execute, given a relatvely small investment (the bass part and guitar parts are often the same, for instance). I always smile at this astonishing waste of time.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPWJc42n8iU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPWJc42n8iU[/url]

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342865344' post='1741968']
Ta. The track still leaves me cold...[/quote]

You're welcome. Leaves me cold too, unfortunately.
I'm trying [i]really [/i]hard to be a Rush fan - it's going very well - just the music bit to sort out now, and I'll be there!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342865794' post='1741980']

I'm trying [i]really [/i]hard to be a Rush fan - it's going very well - just the music bit to sort out now, and I'll be there!
[/quote]

Same with me, I've tried to like them and Yes. But failed miserably.

I love Rick Wakeman's stories of touring, so I'm more of a Yes fan that Rush.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only Rush album that i can still listen to. There is a quality to the songs that seem more permanent than other albums. Red Barchetta, Limelight etc

YYZ is a fantastic track. I can still remember first hearing it and thinking how amazing it was.

My nail it track was always "Sir Duke".

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1344096865' post='1759794']
I love Jazz but this is shocking.... :lol:
[/quote]
innit

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1344097889' post='1759808']
Thus proving that just because something [i]can [/i]be done...
[/quote]
but then why only half do it?

there are a couple of moments where the arrangement [i]almost [/i]begins to work

aside from JB's sloppy/lazy playing the real killer is that the drum line is identical to the original version - if you're going to go out on a limb with a radical arrangement you need to address the whole score not just everything apart from the drums :o

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1344100113' post='1759845']
So that's Jeff Berlin?? There was me wondering why Geddy had put on four stone and grown a silly moustache.
[/quote]

you obviously didnt hang around long enough until the end then to hear the presenter biggin' him up <_<

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1344100341' post='1759847']
...you obviously didnt hang around long enough until the end then to hear the presenter biggin' him up <_<[/quote]

No, I most certainly did not! I'm not a big Rush fan at the best of times and gave this abomination around fifty seconds worth of my valuable and rapidly diminishing time. Which I won't be getting back any time soon. :sad:

It was the first real difficult song I tried to learn, started when I was about 14 and i've only just nailed it ( 17 now )

The second fill is the hardest to get down, but in fairness it's not too different from one of the rundowns near the beginning

I have a couple of mates ( guitarist and drummer ) who were in the same boat as me for learning this

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1344234269' post='1761442']

And Jeff murdered, sounded like he was playing a £100 bass through a cardboard box
[/quote]I have to agree with this, way too nasal for me, absolutely no fundamental tone. Also seemed a bit soulless as if he's just reading the dots without bringing any personality to it; rather like reading a story put loud in monotone.

To me it was what evidence of the phenomenon that is often considerd to be what is wrong with session musicians. All the notes in the right place but still not there. A bit like 'James Galway plays The Beatles'. It's like asking Mike Batt to do a tribute to Metallica - its never going to gel.

It was pretty scrappy and pretty awful to be honest. Not surprisingly, Neil Peart's rather stiff playing style probably didn't help matters. It seemed to me that none of them really seemed to be listening to each other that closely and while Jeff Berlin seemed to get a fair number of notes right, the bass playing just left me cold.

When I did the Rush tribute thing, I normally figured out the parts and got to a point where I was happy with my performances (with a bit of practice obviously). I always struggled with YYZ though, for some reason.