Why become a member? ×

Should I get 2x 112 OR 1x 212?

GetYourFunkOut93

Hi again chatters,

I am looking at getting a new rig at the weekend. I am going down to Bass Direct on Saturday to pick up a bass head... Either MarkBass or genz benz.

500W or 800W.

Not sure whether to get 2x 112 cabs ( so I can use just one cab for smaller gigs or both for big gigs)
Or to save some cash and just get a 212 cab.

Any Advice?

I use two 1x12's and love the versatility, and love being able to stack them vertically to bring the sound closer to my ears. My Markbass LMK 500watt head into two Epifani 1x12 cabs has more volume than I need. With one cab it's a great rig for upright.

If I was picking a new rig from scratch I'd be tempted to go for the new GenzBenz Contour 2x10 combo and then add another cab when needed. As much as I love having separate heads and cabs so I can mix and match, there are times when I'd just love to roll a combo in, plug one kettle lead in and away I go.

I have said it before but I really don't think 2 1x12s are as good as 1 2x12, more versatile but something changes when they are not in one box. Try a Genz Neox 2x12T with any of the heads you are interested in and see what you think for yourself although that won't really be a gig volume. Mark is doing good deals on full Genz rigs if you go for a 2x12T too, good choice of Genz heads that will all sound awesome :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342725671' post='1740126']
I have said it before but I really don't think 2 1x12s are as good as 1 2x12, more versatile but something changes when they are not in one box. Try a Genz Neox 2x12T with any of the heads you are interested in and see what you think for yourself although that won't really be a gig volume. Mark is doing good deals on full Genz rigs if you go for a 2x12T too, good choice of Genz heads that will all sound awesome :)
[/quote]

I've owned a DB212 and own a pair of DB112 and I have to say that I found the benefit of stacking the 112s vertically on their edge meant that they were sonically superior to the 212 by a long chalk (drivers lifted closer to head height and vertically aligned directly above each other as opposed to 45 degrees off-set in the 2x12). Even when the 1x12s were stacked in the standard config I have to confess that I could hear no major (if any) discernible difference, especially as you had to uncouple the amp and swap them over by which time I'm not sure you could remember if there was any audible difference and as has been noted the modular x2 112 means that they are more versatile.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342725671' post='1740126']
[/quote]

Plus one.

We all have different views, but I find the larger 'one cab' solution of the DB212 gives it a slightly larger 'feel' to the tone, but that could be just me. It was cheaper and easier for me to get the DB212 as its one 69lb lift with casters (included, and they come out if you need them to), and one cover.

I absolutely love the Aguilar DB112/212 cabinets, and the Genz Neox 212T will also cover a LOT of ground.

There is no real point in a 1x12 apart from low volume rehearsals, so if Im using 2, may as well use a 2x12.

The Genz neox 2x12T is already vertically stacked, weighs nothing, has inset one piece handles (no rattles) ,rubber rollers instead of rear feet (again no rattles) and adjustable tweeter. I actually have a Genz 1x12T too (I know, greedy) it's great but it's less than half the big one if you know what I mean. The Neox once trounced a pair of 1x12 purple chili cabs, it's put me off a pair of 12's ever since unless you don't feel like you want that extra bit of something that I'm sure exists.

I went with the 2 seperate 1x12 cabs, "yeah" it sounds better with both, but it's great that I can grab just one, it'll fit in any car or any taxi. This is particularly usefull when going over a mates for a jam and beer session, you can even leave there too, as you still got one at home for playing through. :P

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342732697' post='1740295']
....Will it be loud enough for a rock gig with a guitarist rock a 4x12 and 2x10 cabs?....
[/quote]

I don't know. How loud do they play?

For very loud gigs (Led Zep tribute) I bring out the 2 AE210's. They have never been defeated.

Whilst the portability of 2 x 112s is obvious, I`d look at it from a point of, how heavy is a 212? My 410 is 50lbs, and that is an easy lift (and I have a bad shoulder/upper back).

The other thing is, although it`s very convenient to carry a single 112, for the music you do, is this one cab going to be enough? No doubt it would be loud enough, but would you have the depth of sound you want?

For me, I would go for a good 212. You can put castors on it - if not already there - so it`s only really up steps/stairs, and into the car it ever has to be carried.

[quote name='GetYourFunkOut93' timestamp='1342734219' post='1740335']
What about instead of 2x 112 OR 2x 210?
[/quote]
General concensus is that a 2x12 is on par with a 4x10 and 2 stacked vertical is equal to 2 4x10's like a conventional big rig. It's worth noting that the Neox is 4 ohm which suits me better than a single 8 ohm 4x10 anyway as I'm never going to need more than one 2x12 as it stands so I get the full power from most amps with only one cab :)

I've always found that 12" cabs have a bit more oomph, personally.
I only have a little 1x10 combo, for now, but 10" speakers have always left me looking for a bit more natural low end.
Like it's been mentioned above, a 2x12 will have a tiny bit more weight to the sound, however, I would happily sacrifice that for the practicality, flexibility and portability of 2 x 1x12 cabs any day.
I have fairly limited experience of cabs compared to most folks on here, but the Aggie 1x12 cabs seem to deny the basic principals of physics. The GS112 cabs have incredibly low and solid bottom end, with the sacrifice of a bit of natural midrange, the DB112 cabs have a more low mid grunt to them, plus they're an easy one hand lift and they look pimp! :yarr:
I got away with a 250W LittleMark and a single Aggie GS112 for a good few years and loved it!
Oh, and MarkBass gear seems to work very nicely with Aggie stuff too.

Be sure to check out the GenzBenz new range of Focus cabs too, they look to be crazy value for money!
based on the dimensions, I don't think they'll sound as big as the Aggies, but they might be a better match for a GB head.

Just my 2p of course, and keep us posted, with pics! :)

Eude