Why become a member? ×

Anyone on here got a Musicman Reflex Bass?

far0n

Also want, can't afford. Indeed it is a thing of beauty - even the black one, because it has white binding and looks very nice.

I played one once for a long time through headphones - quite a lightweight bass and some fantastic sounds in there. Active/passive; series/parallel, coil combination selectors plus 4 band EQ - what more could you want?

Well a Reflex Gamechanger.............some very interesting sound samples been posted on the Musicman website using combinations of coils out of phase and in phase. I think I'm going to have to get one of these at some point.

The one in the pic, however is not the Reflex but the 2009 Limited edition 25th Anniversary MusicMan which then became the reflex without the figured maple top which was available in flame and quilted maple.

This is what EBMM had on their website when it was available:

Model: Music Man 25th Anniversary 5 String Bass
Description: A quarter century of passion and excellence culminate as Ernie Ball celebrates 25 years with Music Man!
New for 2009, the Music Man 25th Anniversary bass features a lightweight body, dramatic styling, and state-of-the-art electronics not found on any other instrument. The epitome of form and function, this new anniversary bass offers a wide array of distinctive sounds. Utilizing a cutting edge push button system, you can combine active, passive, series and parallel modes creating endless tonal combinations like never before. Our Music Man design team has engineered optimal contours, weight and balance, making this instrument very comfortable to play. The 25th anniversary bass exhibits a classic bolt-on design, with an ash body, mahogany tone block, bound premium maple top, which together provide maximum resonance and massive low end. Available with single humbucking (H), dual humbucking (HH) and humbucking-single coil-single coil (HSS) options.
Size: 12-7/8" wide, 1-3/4" thick, 43-7/8" long (32.7 cm wide, 4.5 cm thick, 111.4 cm long)
Weight: 9 lbs, 1 oz (4.10 kg) - varies slightly
Body Wood: Ash with bookmatched maple top and mahogany Tone Block
Body Finish: High gloss polyester
Body Bindings: Binding - Cream
Bridge: Standard - Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with stainless steel saddles
Scale Length: 34" (86.4 cm)
Neck Radius: 11" (27.9 cm)
Headstock Size: Only 8" (20.3 cm) long
Frets: 22 - High profile, wide
Neck Width: 1-3/4" (44.5 mm) at nut 2-13/16" (71.4 mm) at last fret
Neck Wood: Select maple neck
Fingerboard: Fretted - maple or rosewood; Fretless - Pau Ferro with or without inlaid fretlines
Fret Markers: Mother of Pearl dots
Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
Neck Colors: Matching painted headstock
Tuning Machines: Custom Music Man, with tapered string posts
Truss Rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal
Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum control cover
Controls: Passive preamp: 500kohm volume and 250kohm tone - .047µF tone capacitor; Active preamp: 4-band EQ – 25kohm volume, treble, high-mid, low-mid, bass
Switching: Single Pickup – 2-way push button active/passive selector, 2-way push button series/parallel selector; Dual Pickup – 2 x 2-way push button pickup selector, 2-way push button active/passive selector, 2-way push button series/parallel selector; Triple Pickup - 3 x 2-way push button pickup selector, 2-way push button active/passive selector
Pickups: Standard - Single Humbucking with ceramic magnets; Optional - Dual Humbucking with ceramic magnets; Optional - Humbucking/Single coil/Single coil with ceramic magnets (Humbucker) and Neodymium magnets (Single coils)
Left Handed: No
Strings: 46w-65w-80w-100w-130w (Regular Slinky Bass #2836)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1342864334' post='1741943']
Balance wasn't great though and values plummet like crazy for used ones :(
[/quote]

I thought the balance was nice on the one I played - in fact as good if not better than my Bongo.

I haven't seen a used one for sale yet - come to think of it, I've never seen a new one for sale in a shop either!! Maybe a good bet to get one used then. You guys should see the white one with black binding - now that is a classy looking bass!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1342864334' post='1741943']
I've played one and thought it was really versatile and had a lot of useful tones quickly available simply by jabbing a button :)

Balance wasn't great though and values plummet like crazy for used ones :(
[/quote]

I would be very intrested to know if it was a four or a five string that you tried. Perhaps the five string might be a bit more prone to neck -diving because of the bigger neck ( I think the dimensions of the body are the same on four and five string models). If dr T Stingray played a four string and Molan had played a five that might explain the divergence of experience in respect of the balance of this bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342970681' post='1743265']
The new version of the Reflex have the new lighter tuners that Musicman have started fitting to the Big Al/Reflex/Bongo.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342970681' post='1743265']
The new version of the Reflex have the new lighter tuners that Musicman have started fitting to the Big Al/Reflex/Bongo.
[/quote]
I know the existing Reflexes have always had lightweight/scaled- down tuners unique to that model fitted as standard so , although the new lightweight tuners may be styled slightly differently, I am not sure how much of an advantage they will offer over the older ones in terms of weight and therefore balance. The new tuners look very similar to the older " standard" Reflex / 25th Anniversary tuners to me, anyway . Compare them and see what you think.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1342970941' post='1743270']
I think it was a 5 I tried.

Part of the issue for me was the small body size and the position of the upper strap button up over the 14th/15th fret.
[/quote]

I take your point about the strap button position and body shape ; I have always loved the sound ( and look) of Warwick Thumb basses but the combination of the compact body, 26 fret neck and short tophorn has meant that the ergonomics have always prevented me from buying one. I think the 22 fret neck on the Reflex prevents it from feeling as ungainly as a Thumb bass in that respect .

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1343065688' post='1744687']
I really like the look of these,
If i had one ,I don't think that I would ever remember what all the buttons do :)
[/quote]

I'm witchoo Chris. I'd get well confused. That's why I like the 5-way slider on my SR5 HH - very easy to see what you're on. Each to their own tho I guess.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1343065688' post='1744687']
I really like the look of these,
If i had one ,I don't think that I would ever remember what all the buttons do :)
[/quote]

It is incredibly easy and intuitive, you'd have to be pretty thick not to understand it as each button is an on/off pickup switch, it's up to you which one you decided to have on, and what combination, there is only one hidden setting and that is with all the pickup buttons off the bridge h/bucker is in series. And the very last button is an active bypass switch means you double all your combinations in both active or passive.

There a couple of video links of Bass Direct site, but they aren't too impressive. There are elsewhere 3 You Tube Videos hosted by Sterling Ball interviewing both Musicman guitarists and bass players alike, they are much much better. I liked the bit with Tony Levin who seems well impressed with the Game Changer. I think the videos are titled The Game Changer Part 1 etc.
ATB, Paul.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1343211267' post='1746991']
It is incredibly easy and intuitive, you'd have to be pretty thick not to understand it as each button is an on/off pickup switch, it's up to you which one you decided to have on, and what combination, there is only one hidden setting and that is with all the pickup buttons off the bridge h/bucker is in series. And the very last button is an active bypass switch means you double all your combinations in both active or passive.
[/quote]

:blink: ..... :huh: ..... :blush:

Well, I spose my maths teachers were right :lol:

Edited by sime17