Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001 v63, Fireglo, OHSC, £1350 or WHYG?

Beedster

Bought from Stacker a few months back it's a stunning looker and player but hasn't quite managed to replace my hybrid 4003 as 'Number 1 Bass' in the way I thought it would. Having just bought (well, not quite 'bought' as I haven't actually paid him for it yet) my old Faker back from Clarky, I find myself once again in the more basses that I need situation. I'd love to keep it but you know how things are :rolleyes:

Compared with my 4003 this bass really does feel like an authentically old instrument, in that respect it's quite unlike the Fender Re-issues that IME tend to look old but feel quite new. It also has a lovely chunky neck. possibly the chunkiest I've owned, so if you're looking for a skinny, look away now. Only issue are the two small dinks in the back of the neck (see 5th or 6th pic down). You notice these when you first play but they quickly become part of the feel as opposed to a problem. Having said that, I would probably have had them refinished at some stage were I keeping the bass.

And in keeping with tradition, I didn't realise that I hadn't polished the bass until [i]after [/i]I'd taken the pics :D

Please excuse the somewhat tired TIs in the pic belo :rolleyes:

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Ha ha, thanks guys, she's a beaut isn't she. Don't be fooled by her looks though, there's something of a brute under that pretty facade :rolleyes:

I'll reply to PMs this evening

Chris

PS and Clarky, as discussed previously, it's your ergonomics, not Rics' :D

Gobsmacked you're selling this beaut - though odds on within a month you'll either be buying another one, or returning to righteousness with something old and Precision shaped.......

Proper man's Ric, fabulous

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1342306869' post='1733180']
There are a few basses on here at the moment that almost make me regret moving house (leaving me with no funds for bass purchases); this is one of them. Best of luck with the sale Chris, she's a beaut.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, there's so many life things that just get in the way of owning all the basses we need aren't there :rolleyes:

[quote name='johnbiffa' timestamp='1342344978' post='1733376']
Pm'd a p/ex proposal
[/quote]

Thanks John, replied

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1342352467' post='1733540']
Gobsmacked you're selling this beaut - though odds on within a month you'll either be buying another one, or returning to righteousness with something old and Precision shaped.......

Proper man's Ric, fabulous
[/quote]

Ha ha Greg, you know me. No, I'm staying with Ricks for the time being, but my old 4003 - which after all you know well - is a hard act to follow and is still my go-to instrument. Even I don't need two go-to instruments :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right, given all the mutterings along the line "I don't get Rickenbackers" etc on the site at present, now's your chance to own a pure tone monster and, depending which side of the argument you're on, either prove yourself right or - if you're feeling brave - perhaps prove yourself wrong.

Another angle is that I still owe Clarky some folding, and I've started to notice shifty looking people hanging around where I live. So to avoid any intra-forum 'situations', a good cash offer will secure this baby :rolleyes:

No pressure at all from me mate! Get the right price, not the first price - seriously :)

In between times, here is Mike Rutherford in early 70s Genesis playing a lookalike of your bass and sounding mighty good, nay superb. Loads of close ups from about 3 minutes in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpILkBBve7k&feature=related