Why become a member? ×

Looking at the neck...

Yep, i do look at the neck quite a bit, especially if im going up and down the neck. sometimes it just for confirmation that ive hit the right note, especially if im up the dusty end of the neck.
Ive also got a Planet waves mini headstock tuner and i sometimes turn that on and play word games with it if im bored lol.

Never look at the double bass neck and rely on muscle memory (to inconcsistent effect) but, on electric, I guess I look when I change position significantly (i.e. over a fifth up or down the neck). When I am reading, I look at the neck as little as possible for obvious reasons i.e. you lose your place on the page.

It's bloody hard to look at the neck if you're sightreading (which is how I generally learn tracks) so by the time I've got it right I can normally play without looking at the neck...

If nerves get the better of me I do though :lol:

I try and look at the neck as little as possible. If I'm not moving the position of my left hand then there is little need. However some of the songs have big jumps from one end of the neck to the other so I need to make sure I hit the right frets for those. When you play in a band where the only other "tuned" instrument is a single guitar, you can't really afford to be paying the wrong notes.

I usually look at the neck for big changes, otherwise I tend to keep an eye on the rest of the band.. Just seeing what they're up to, what's coming next and so on.
I don;t like being in bands that don't "communicate" on stage. If you can see that everyone's on top form and enjoying themselves, it lifts the band's performance that bit more (IMO)
Oddly, I'm not that concerned by the audience. It's enough to know that the band's firing on all cylinders - If the audience don't appreciate what that looks/sounds like, the band were never going to win them over anyway.

I tend to look at the neck a lot.
i always have and I find it takes some positive effort to look away and check out the audience, irrespective of how simple the line I'm playing might be - I tend to have a maniacal middle distance psycho stare when i do, mind.
Often though, the lighting tech has little clue and I find myself in pitch blackness, often during the most complex fingerings in the set.
Sometimes i wish for LED side dots

On the few gigs I've played I always try to make an effort to look into the audience and smile , well it is supposed to be fum !

One trick which I have borrowed from public speakers is to look at the audience mkaing a z with your eyes . looking at the top left of the room straight across, then diagonally down to the left and across again - seems to be sufficient eye contact to make everyone happy :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1341840789' post='1724900']
If they have decent jugs i am gonna look at them. Its very simple.[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I said that, post #2. Is anyone reading these threads..? Snurt! [/font][/color] :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341841155' post='1724914']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I said that, post #2. Is anyone reading these threads..? Snurt! [/font][/color] :P
[/quote]
Sorry mate i thought the point was so valid that it was worth re-stating.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1341841274' post='1724921']
Sorry mate i thought the point was so valid that it was worth re-stating.[/quote]

You're right of course, and I'll state it again: If there are nice jubblies on show, we won't be looking at the neck!
Either the neck on the bass [i]or [/i]the neck of the jubblie-owner!! To be quite clear! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341841379' post='1724927']
You're right of course, and I'll state it again: If there are nice jubblies on show, we won't be looking at the neck!
[/quote]

Looking? Blimey, ill be running various scenarios through my head before the first chorus lol

And yes, thats sooooo un PC, sorry ladies.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1341841612' post='1724933']
...running various scenarios through my head...[/quote]

:lol: Better keep 'em there, or we'll have the anti-fun brigade in here any minute.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1341782261' post='1724174']

If he keeps practicing one day he might get round to writing some memorable, catchy or maybe even jaw-dropping basslines

Yea like that bloke who done rhythm stick
[/quote]

Edited by rogerstodge

I'm sorry laddies, you've been rumbled.
We will have none of that 'back of the bike sheds' sniggering about parts of ladies anatomy in here ! Simply because god gifted certain members of the fair sex with extremely large/ well shaped top bollocks is no reason for an outbreak of 'fnarr fnarr' type humour.
The Fun Police are watching, you have been cautioned.

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1341873863' post='1725634']
I'm sorry laddies, you've been rumbled.
We will have none of that 'back of the bike sheds' sniggering about parts of ladies anatomy in here ! Simply because god gifted certain members of the fair sex with extremely large/ well shaped top bollocks is no reason for an outbreak of 'fnarr fnarr' type humour.
The Fun Police are watching, you have been cautioned.
[/quote]
Not sure if this thread has descended or ascended to a whole different level.