Why become a member? ×

A nice little purchase...

Josh

This is mainly for iPhone and iPad users but I still think everybody should have a little nosey.

So I've just downloaded Stuart Clayton's The Bass Players Guide to Scales & Modes on iBooks and it is brilliant! As an iBook format it works amazingly well, with a nice intro video as well as audio examples of both the exercise and a backing track to practice to. My iPad is only a measly first generation but it still looks nice and crisp so on a 2 or 3 I'm certain it will look fantastic.

Aside from the audio and visuals the actual content is great. Every section has a clear explanation of what is in the exercises and how best to approach them. Each exercise is presented with both notation and tab, both are easy to read and to follow along with the accompanying audio, and it covers the more simpler scales and modes as well as the more advanced ones which for me has been a great help.

I'm not usually one to do this but I honestly think anyone with an iPhone/iPad/iPod and fancies having a nice and very accessible theory book to either learn something new or refresh what you already know then I can't recommend this enough :)

Thanks guys,

Josh.

Edited by Josh

I'm not usually one for using books to improve (I've just never got round to it actually) but I may start. Having the notation as well as the tab sounds like a really handy feature, I hate tabs but I'm not at the level of being able to read sheet music, that sounds like it could help this.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1341134246' post='1714047']
Hi Josh, could you give me any advantages and disadvantages you've found from using an ibook over a traditional paper book?
[/quote]

So far I can't think of any disadvantages at all. It's really easy to navigate between the chapters and you can place a bookmark as well if you want to remember where you are. Another advantage is that you won't be able to lose it as it's saved to your iTunes and won't take any space on the floor and it won't get damaged.

I honestly can't think of any disadvantages other than not having either an iPhone/iPod/iPad but Stuart does offer the physical copy via his website [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com"]www.basslinepublishing.com[/url]

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1341138835' post='1714130']
I'm not usually one for using books to improve (I've just never got round to it actually) but I may start. Having the notation as well as the tab sounds like a really handy feature, I hate tabs but I'm not at the level of being able to read sheet music, that sounds like it could help this.
[/quote]

I've never been one for books either but this one I think is one everyone should consider having on either format, purely because the theory being taught is crucial to any players vocabulary at any level. Many people are familiar with Stuarts successful Ultimate Slap Bass book alongside his transcription books for artists such as: Level 42, Jamiroquai, Stuart Hamm, The Who, Kiss, to name a few. Those who have bought his books know how clear and easy they are to follow and that they are very accessible at any level.

The tabs are written to coincide with the notation, so you can read them simultaneously and begin to familiarise yourself with notation. I believe Stuart is actually working on a sight reading & notation book which should be out soon.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1341138835' post='1714130']
[/quote]

Don't use anything with TAB to help you learn to sight reading, it won't help because you'll find yourself referring to the TAB all the time. If you want to practice reading make sure its with just notation. There is no other way to do it than jump in at the deep end. Just make sure you get some easy dots (pop, rock songs) and practise it, without stopping, with a metronome at a slow tempo. That is real reading. My advice will be to look at Mike Nichols and Phil Mulfords rock n read book. And then at a slightly higher level Rich Applemans book is good

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1341142925' post='1714196']
So far I can't think of any disadvantages at all. It's really easy to navigate between the chapters and you can place a bookmark as well if you want to remember where you are. Another advantage is that you won't be able to lose it as it's saved to your iTunes and won't take any space on the floor and it won't get damaged.

I honestly can't think of any disadvantages other than not having either an iPhone/iPod/iPad but Stuart does offer the physical copy via his website [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com"]www.basslinepublishing.com[/url]
[/quote]
cheers, i needed some quotes on apps for my dissertation, hope this is ok to use?

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1341068927' post='1713469']
My iPad is only a measly first generation but it still looks nice and crisp so on a 2 or 3 I'm certain it will look fantastic.
[/quote]

I love this - technology...First Generation has to be all of 2 years old - and it still looks good!

You guys...

Hey guys,

Just seen this topic. Josh, thanks for your kind words, really pleased to hear that you are enjoying the iBook. Just to clarify though, these enhanced iBooks (built with iBooks Author) are not available on the iPhone or iPod Touch, just the iPad.

If anyone else has bought it, I'd love to know what you think!

Just to reinforce what Oliver said, if you're learning to read music, you'll need to use a book that does not use TAB. My iBook does have TAB for the exercises as it's not a reading book. Including TAB helps to reach the biggest audience possible with what is essentially a very niche product! As Josh mentioned however, I am working on a sight reading book at the moment, and am hoping to have it ready for October this year. It'll be released on the iPad at the same time as it's out in print, so maybe some of you will find it useful.

Cheers
Stuart

Hey Gub,

I've actually not seen that myself! I wrote that for Sanctuary Publishing/Music Sales and I guess they uploaded it.

For info, the book this thread relates to is very different to a standard e-book. It looks a helluva lot nicer, is full colour, has audio included, and an intro video. All the sorts of things you wish regular e-books had!

Cheers
Stuart

Thanks for the heads-up.
I have just grabbed the ibook version for the iPad and it is VERY nicely presented, the audio and backing tracks work really well and the lessons seem very well thought out, there is stuff in there for everyone from beginner to full on pro. Great job! I normally get bored quickly with theory books but this one seems one I'll stick with.
If I have any questions I'll be back Stuart! lol

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1341318403' post='1716855']
Stuart, are there any plans to release the book without tab? (digital only). Tab distracts me when working through exercises.

Obviously I know the benefit of including it for non readers.

Would be nice to just not have to deal with it at al for readersl :)
[/quote]

Hey Jake,

No plans to do that at present, although there's no reason why it couldn't be done in the future! I would actually prefer to release all of my books without TAB, but am also aware that it's needed in order to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Cheers,
Stuart

Hi Stuart
Didn't realise you were on here ! I got scales one too as when I had a look though the sample I thought it would be useful , great so far , ps I find tabs useful being a non reader ;)