Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye

merello

She's like my nan. But just really good at bass.

Incredible career, she claims to have been making more than the President during her heyday of working in L.A. We all know the story with Jamerson etc. and it's frustrating to hear her talk about it, but I mean come on, just listen to Pet Sounds. Outstanding bass player.

I have to confess that besides seeing her name appear on BassChat occasionally, I have been largely unaware of her. However, I know what I shall be trying tomorrow. I don't wanna be that plodding UK player no more!
Anyone know where I might start to go about learning some of that chordal stuff? Unfortunately I learned all my walking stuff from a beginner's Blues book when I first started and, being a metal player, mostly, never really go around to trying to expend on it. Also, my theory knowledge is woeful to non-existent.

P.S. Even is she isn't really a "proper" Bass player...

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1341013326' post='1712975']
She's like my nan. But just really good at bass.

Incredible career, she claims to have been making more than the President during her heyday of working in L.A. [b]We all know the story with Jamerson etc. and it's frustrating to hear her talk about it,[/b] but I mean come on, just listen to Pet Sounds. Outstanding bass player.
[/quote]
I don't! What was it?

She claims to have played on many of the Motown hits that were credited to James Jamerson despite evidence and witnesses saying that Jamerson played those bass parts. She is a very good player, but I can't stand her because she wants to portray herself as more important than she already is.

The story is that Motown recorded In LA and frequently shipped the tapes back to Detroit for overdubs. That's how Carol Kaye can claim to have played on a record when Jamerson was dubbed on afterwards. This an old and boring story and the sniggering gets pretty tedious.

Carol Kaye is one of the most recorded bass players. You don't achieve 1st call status in LA studios unless you are one of the best.