Why become a member? ×

Holiday Camps

D.I. Joe

My wedding band is thinking about branching out into the Holiday Camp circuit...

We were offered a gig at Butlins Minehead but rejected it due to short notice and current lack of appropriate material. Learning suitable songs is no problem for us, we're more concerned about how worthwhile they would be, especially with having to travel from Cornwall... is it worth it?

Does anybody here have experience of holiday camp gigs? Are they worth it? All advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Only in that I've stayed at one. Expect lots of kids running around all over the place and parents not giving a cr*p about it. Alos parents getting exceptionalty drunk.

Go for 80s party tunes such as Wham or Black Lace. Agadoo for the kids. And if you get the whole room on the floor singing We Are Sailing you know you've suceeded in getting a call back :)

My 80's tribute band have a slot at a holiday camp in North Devon (on the back of the first which we did in April and another last month we have now been offered regualr slots right through the summer till the end of October)

Pros:
Regular work
Short set (we only play for an hour as you're a component of the evening's entertainment programme)
In house PA

Cons:
Lots of hanging about (we have to be set up & soundchecked before 6 but don't play till about 9.30 - 10ish due to afore mentioned entertainment programme)
Required etiquette is similar to weddings as opposed to pub gigs (ie a more professional approach is needed but not a problem if you're already used to it)
Agent will take their cut (these types of gig are always done through agencies)

Other than that it's good. I'd also say to be sucessfull in this area you would probably need an angle to sell yourselves with (ie we are an 80s band and have the image to go with the setlist)

Hope this helps!

Regards
Dave

Edited by pnefc42

I've only been to Minehead Butlins once, and that was enough.

I went to see a show one night. It was only 1 tribute band but they did 2 sets. The first set they dressed up in crepes & drapes & did a Showaddywaddy set, and for the second they changed and did a Madness set. It was very good and as they were a 7 piece band (I think) this worked to their advantage. I'm showing my age but I did know every song and most of the lyrics!

I bumped into the singer at breakfast the next morning and congratulated him on the sets. He said that you would be suprised at how many people thought 2 different bands played. I don't know if they got paid more for doing 2 sets though.

Go for it and have some fun. Although you are not exactly in a central location in Cornwall.

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1340797433' post='1709669']
Expect lots of kids running around all over the place and parents not giving a cr*p about it. Alos parents getting exceptionalty drunk.

Go for 80s party tunes such as Wham or Black Lace. Agadoo for the kids. And if you get the whole room on the floor singing We Are Sailing...
[/quote]

All things that we're concerned about!! Don't knock it til you try it I suppose!

I'd be up for doing these gigs if the money is right. If they work out no better than weddings after travel etc then I'd be inclined not to. Hopefully we'll get more weddings :lol:

Years ago a band I was in did the main band's night off for a season.
Every Tuesday throughout the summer,[list]
[*]left work @ 17:30 dashed home (thankfully only 5 mins then)
[*]jumped in the car drove to Camber Sands (getting on for a couple of hours),
[*]set up,
[*]sat around for ages
[*]did a set
[*]sat around for more time while they played silly games etc
[*]did another set
[*]packed up
[*]out & back on the road by 01:00
[*]home about 03:00
[*]bed
[*]08:00 alarm rings, up, three S's & off to work
[*]EVERY ****ING TUESDAY!!
[/list]
I am sure it would kill me now & surprised it didn't then to be honest, but it was quite a giggle all the same.

Probably the best night was the last of the season when they played the "get across the alligator infested swamp ([i]the dance floor[/i]) by building a bridge with your clothes" game and the Bluecoats took part. Normally it was the happy campers and petered out due to insufficient clothes / embarassment, but this night all of a sudden there was a cry for all the blokes lurking backstage as a particularly lovely & stacked BC (EDIT Bluecoat not Basschat :P ) took part and was across that swamp and starkers in seconds flat :gas: Happy days :lol:

As to whether they're worth it...well then it was a well paid WMC gig for us IIRC, though as all my gear came from the drummers music shop where I had a never ending slate I never actually saw any as it all went to the slate. Songwise it was the standard WMC fare of the time

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1340797796' post='1709682']
Pros:
Regular work
Short set (we only play for an hour as you're a component of the evening's entertainment programme)
In house PA

Cons:
Lots of hanging about (we have to be set up & soundchecked before 6 but don't play till about 9.30 - 10ish due to afore mentioned entertainment programme)
Required etiquette is similar to weddings as opposed to pub gigs (ie a more professional approach is needed but not a problem if you're already used to it)
Agent will take their cut (these types of gig are always done through agencies)
[/quote]

We do quite a few weddings so we're used to these cons. You're right though, they are a pain, especially agency fees

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1340802500' post='1709784']
a particularly lovely & stacked BC (EDIT Bluecoat not Basschat :P ) took part and was across that swamp and starkers in seconds flat :gas: Happy days :lol:
[/quote]

A definite PRO!! :gas:

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1340802755' post='1709794']
We do quite a few weddings so we're used to these cons. You're right though, they are a pain, especially agency fees
[/quote]

Another thing I forgot to mention regarding payment - as it comes via the agent through the admin organisation of the business owning the venue, it can be/is a lot slower than being handed a wad of £20 notes @ the end of the night!

This may also be worth consideration?

I went to the Park Resorts camp in Camber a couple of weeks ago for our family holiday and was slightly offended by the house band having no bass player, they were a 3 piece - vocals, guitar and drums with sequence bass and keys.

Strange thing is though the few tracks I saw were all quite bass heavy, with the guitarist playing minimal FX laden parts

I've done a couple of dep gigs for a local party band (Pontins, Prestatyn and Butlins, Minehead) and enjoyed myself both times.

Just got involved with all the games and stuff for the kids, had a stroll around and watched some football matches and stuff.

There is a lot of waiting around and you can't pack up for a while after you've finished. Both times I played the band were given apartments and some free booze which helped.

Anyway, got paid £200 both times for an hour set and rest of the band implied that their cut was substantially bigger.

As long as you can get past all the pissed up parents and screaming kids, it's good fun! Don't forget, you're there to entertain people! Do some silly dances ad pull some funny faces while you're playing and have some fun!

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

I wouldnt fancy holiday camp gigs during the season, except maybe for just the money, strike me as being like upmarket WMC gigs, which I wouldnt really want to go back to. Not knocking those who do it, done it myself in the dim and distant.

But what about the out of season 60s/70s/80s/Tributes/Rock n Roll weekenders.

Been looking for a way into them lately, are they run by the camps or outside promoters, and is [i]all of it[/i] agency work ?

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1340797433' post='1709669']
Go for 80s party tunes such as Wham or Black Lace. Agadoo for the kids. And if you get the whole room on the floor singing We Are Sailing you know you've suceeded in getting a call back :)
[/quote]

Do this and I guarantee you'll never get booked again! :)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1340819844' post='1710128']
Another point to make is that in my experience, no matter how far you've travelled or if you're doing other local camps in the chain, they're not interested in offering you free accomodation, even a cravan for the band. Also, you will go onstage after a giant rabbit.
[/quote]

We always managed to get accommodation when we did them. I think they were written into the contract.

I enjoyed the first couple shows i did in holiday camps. But the rolf harris songs and the dodgy entertainment has put me off big time.

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1340803418' post='1709812']

Another thing I forgot to mention regarding payment - as it comes via the agent through the admin organisation of the business owning the venue, it can be/is a lot slower than being handed a wad of £20 notes @ the end of the night!

This may also be worth consideration?
[/quote]

Same scenario with Walkabout gigs. You're right though, it is a pain. That and you can't smell a bank transfer, at least not a good one!

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340805849' post='1709859']
But what about the out of season 60s/70s/80s/Tributes/Rock n Roll weekenders.

Been looking for a way into them lately, are they run by the camps or outside promoters, and is [i]all of it[/i] agency work ?
[/quote]

That sounds more interesting!! The gig we were offered was through an agency, as I believe all of the season gigs are. Not sure about these though, and I wouldn't know where to ask. I'll pass the thought on and I'll let you know if I can find out :)