Why become a member? ×

Decent noob electric guitar...

ScreencastTutor

I'm considering an electric guitar for whenever Rocksmith comes out in the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations? When deciding on my bass I went for a Squier VM Jazz Bass because it seemed to be better quality than the very cheapest but still great value.

Also would it be necessary to purchase a separate amp? Or could I just use my bass amp and some headphones like I do with the bass?

PS, I prefer to use it for funk, otherwise as versatile as possible.

Edited by ScreencastTutor

As far as the amp goes then it's "get a new one time", in my experience a bass amp doesn't work very well.

As far as a guitar is concerned I would pick a budget and visit the local Cash Converter, fences 'r' us (or local equivilent) and see what they have in your price range (you might also pick up a small combo there at a good price).

In all honesty I find guitar (and most other instrument) reccomendations a bit of a pointless exercise, not all guitars (even of the same make and model) are created equal and we all have very different ideas as to how they should play and what they should sound like. Go out and explore and have some fun :)

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not much of a 2nd hand fan. Thinking now I probably have an old guitar amp somewhere.

Mainly I am asking about build quality for the money. I'm not focused on any particular tone and have never played guitar so don't have anything specific to look for.

Yamaha Pacifica does indeed seem well liked.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340737869' post='1709002']
My first guitar was an old Squier Strat that was given to me in 2001. Never fancied a change! :)
[/quote]

That was my initial thought, something such as - [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/10420-squier-by-fender-bullet-strat-sunburst.html#sterling_uk"]http://www.dolphinmu...tml#sterling_uk[/url]

Edited by ScreencastTutor

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1340741202' post='1709068']
If it's for Rocksmith is there much point bothering with an Amp?
[/quote]

Well, that was just going to be used to get into at first really. I would prefer to learn some funk/country type playing on my own once I had the basics.

Thanks for the tip Edward (original total recall ftw), thats kind of what I wondered, which is why I created the thread.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-Advance-AV6P-Electric-Guitar-Laguna-Blue/7E8"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-Advance-AV6P-Electric-Guitar-Laguna-Blue/7E8[/url]

The Vintage advance series get rave reviews, this one in particular I've tried and been blown away with it.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1340776419' post='1709347']
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-Advance-AV6P-Electric-Guitar-Laguna-Blue/7E8"]http://www.gear4musi...Laguna-Blue/7E8[/url]

The Vintage advance series get rave reviews, this one in particular I've tried and been blown away with it.
[/quote]

Vintage guitars are pretty good, possibly a bit more than the OP wants to spend though.

[quote name='ScreencastTutor' timestamp='1340745742' post='1709163']
Thanks for the tip Edward (original total recall ftw), thats kind of what I wondered, which is why I created the thread.
[/quote]

Great film.

Edited by EdwardHimself

i know that you've stated that your not much of a fan of 2nd hand instruments but that's what i've always reccomended for first-time players, especially if the budget is low, you'll get something that will most likely be much better quality than a new guitar at the same price, especially if you buy from the classifieds here.

if you want versatility i'd go for something vaugely strat-style, i'm a big fan of super-strats with coil-tappable humbuckers, you'l never exactly nail some of the classic tones but you can get 90% there which is usualy a good enough position to be in.

as for brands, well the yamaha pacifica line is great, and squier can be fantastic too (but i'd take each guitar on it's own merits as i've played a few of the affinity strats which were below par) but my favorite budget brand is Vintage, i had one of ther les-paul copies with a lovely sunburst finish which i picked up for 90 quid in cash converters, played and sounded awesome, only sold it to make space for my '77 p-bass as my wife has a strict one in-one out policy, i sold it to a friend though so i have first refusal if he ever needs to sell (i'll sneak it back in somehow!)

Matt

The reasons I prefer to stay away from 2nd hand are pretty simple but not set in stone.

1. I don't drive, therefore collection is an issue, otherwise delivery is very pricey.
2. I have never played guitar before so wouldn't really be able to evaluate much about it. Easier to return or be assured of a standard from new.

If there was a listing near me I would be interested though.

[quote name='ScreencastTutor' timestamp='1340801694' post='1709761']
The reasons I prefer to stay away from 2nd hand are pretty simple but not set in stone.

1. I don't drive, therefore collection is an issue, otherwise delivery is very pricey.
2. I have never played guitar before so wouldn't really be able to evaluate much about it. Easier to return or be assured of a standard from new.
[/quote]

1. Most people will deliver, and the cost of delivery is vastly offset by the saving you will make over a new instrument.
2. You can't exactly trust the quality of new instruments either; fender are known for having had pretty shocking QC on their mass produced instruments in recent years.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1340802107' post='1709770']
1. Most people will deliver, and the cost of delivery is vastly offset by the saving you will make over a new instrument.
2. You can't exactly trust the quality of new instruments either; fender are known for having had pretty shocking QC on their mass produced instruments in recent years.
[/quote]

This^

where do you live? if you're in a reasonably populated area then there should be plenty of guitars available within a bus ride,

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1340806605' post='1709875']
This^

where do you live? if you're in a reasonably populated area then there should be plenty of guitars available within a bus ride,

Matt
[/quote]

In all likelihood, more than there are basses, so by comparison it should be a doddle!

Worth noting: with some of their 'Standard' range, Squier claims the nut-width to be 42mm. But one of mine came in at 40.5mm and another at 41mm.

Didn't bother me, but a chum found them to be unplayably narrow specimens. Great value, though.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1340787681' post='1709477']
Just come up: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180077-cheap-strat-anyone-l95-shipped/"]http://basschat.co.u...ne-l95-shipped/[/url]

Liam
[/quote]

I immediately thought of this too. £95 is a good price for a reasonable starter strat, and delivery is included. On top of that Andy might well make sure it's set up OK first.

Defo need a real guitar amp. Look for a Vox Pathfinder 15, VR15, or if you have a bit more money there is a Blackstar HT-5 combo also for sale in here, £215 delivered. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179105-blackstar-ht5-guitar-combo-amp-l215-delivered/ That would be quite decent, and good enough to gig. So for £310 delivered to your door you'd have a decent outfit.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1340802107' post='1709770']
[/quote]

Just to add to this; you're never really going to be sure whether something is a good player or not unless you actually try it. You can still get some pretty good deals on used gear in an actual guitar shop or as someone suggested earlier, the local cash converters.

If the OP is determined to buy new and doesn't yet know enough about guitars to be able to pick out a good one from a range of less good instruments, then IMO the Yamaha would be the safest bet. Has anyone ever come across a duff new Yamaha guitar or bass?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340876937' post='1710784']
If the OP is determined to buy new and doesn't yet know enough about guitars to be able to pick out a good one from a range of less good instruments, then IMO the Yamaha would be the safest bet. Has anyone ever come across a duff new Yamaha guitar or bass?
[/quote]
nope!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340733267' post='1708886']
[url="http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/pacifica/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup"]Yamaha Pacifica[/url]
[/quote]

I was glad to see that the first reply was also the right answer ;) brilliant guitars for such little money!

[/quote]

Fraid so, but only one.

Steve

[/quote]

I've found a couple of bad acoustics, and a magazine review for a navigator found the intonation was out sufficiently to mark it down. The Pacifica 012s (not the 112s that are so common) have/had lousy pickups and sometimes seem badly made, though they really are food-grade Argos specials.