Why become a member? ×

Second hand pedal prices

Ruck

Is it me or recently people are asking far too much for second hand pedals recently I mean it used to be the case anything second hand would sell for half (or slight more) its retail price but now it seems second pedals on here are all marked up about 80% of their retail price. So recently, apart for a few exceptions Ive just been paying the extra 20% to get the pedal new and a years warranty. I mean I can expect a pedal to sell for more if its sought after and hand man but not mass produced pedals. Rant over :)

people can ask what they want. If you don't want to pay that much buy it off someone else. If you can't find anyone else selling and there is only one then they can set the broad secondhand price. If you don't like that then pay 20% more. .... what are you moaning about?

its just an observation ive come to see very frequently recently thats is all... I even said very clearly in OP that ive just been spending the 20% more... *headslap*

but anyway I didnt say people should not do it. Im just finding it very strange thats all.

Well if it's something that someone has bought, used a couple of times and not liked it then 20% off seems pretty reasonable to me.
If it's something that's been heavily used then that's perhaps not such a good deal.

Thing is that the seller sets the price - if it sells, then all well and good.
If it doesn't sell then it's either the wrong item to be selling at the time or the price is too high.

Edited by icastle

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340467166' post='1704884']
people can ask what they want. If you don't want to pay that much buy it off someone else. If you can't find anyone else selling and there is only one then they can set the broad secondhand price. If you don't like that then pay 20% more. .... what are you moaning about?
[/quote]

That's not a friendly post now!! :ph34r:

The worst thing about buying second hand pedals is bloody Velcro!!!

If top dollar is expected then surely an effort needs to be made to get the pedal operational to people who live outside the world of pedalboards. Keeping the rubber feet and a dab of glue makes all the difference.

it is one of those things, i'm afraid.

must admit i was surprised too when i first got into fx. good pedals certainly hold their value (a bit like quality cars),

whereas crap ones don't.

discontinued and rare ones can even rise in price (deep impact, anybody ?)

the good thing is that their resale value usually holds too, so just look on any minor loss as 'rental'.

re: velcro, - the rubber feet are cheap to buy, so not really an issue.

Edited by phil.i.stein

Thing that pisses my boil is the money some people want for 'vintage' 20-yr old POS entry-level pedals like Frontline, Arion etc (NOI to anyone here; I've got a couple lurking somewhere myself).

I mean, I know about the whole buyer / seller 'whatever it's worth' argument. But £75 for a delay pedal identical to one I threw in a bin last year because it would have been a crime to put a signal through it?

Yes, it's up to the seller how much the advertise for, but when the product they are selling is still currently available new and they are selling it for 89% the original value, then I kinda feel like they are taking the piss.

Incidentally, that is an actually figure of something currently available here, that I wanted. Incidentally, I paid the extra £3 and bought it new.

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1340467771' post='1704902']
its just an observation ive come to see very frequently recently thats is all... I even said very clearly in OP that ive just been spending the 20% more... *headslap*

but anyway I didnt say people should not do it. Im just finding it very strange thats all.
[/quote]
Do you make them lower offers? If you do and they arnt taking them and the pedal sells for the price, the thing i find strange is more that people pay 20% off new rather than what price folk set.

I quite often think people ask stupid money for second hand pedals, but if buyers weren't daft enough to pay the stupid prices...

One thing that does annoy me is people trying to sell second hand stuff for 90% of the new price because the item is "as new, only used a few times". No, its not new, its second hand and doesn't come with any kind of warranty or distance selling regs or any of the other benefits that you get from buying a truly new item from the shop. If you've bought a new pedal and don't like it then return it under the DSRs, don't bother trying to sell it at a stupid price!

Edited by uncle psychosis

Conversely, certain basses (Warwick springs to mind) seem to depreciate like it's going out of fashion. They're going for next to nothing on ebay at the moment considering the build quality and price new.
You occasionally get opportunists, but generally things go for what people are willing to pay- supply and demand. Don't like a price? Don't buy/bid. Next one'll be cheaper as a result. That said it actually scares me how much Deep Impacts go for, I'd never spend more on a pedal then I did on the bass I'll be playing through it.

I agree with the OP, I won't pay 80% of new price for anything used. Of course if people can get that much they will ask that much and I can't blame them, we all want to recoup as much as we can when we sell things on. I just would rather pay a little bit more and have the warranty. I do like to be frugal but for me I have to save 1/3-1/2 the new price to consider it prudent to buy used.

I think there's always going to be issues with sales in these 'close community' type forums. Every buyer is looking for bargains and 'mates rates' whereas every seller thinks that because the forum is mainly used by players they will then more fully appreciate the quality of what they have to offer and be prepared to pay top dollar. Common ground needs to be struck for deals to go through.