Why become a member? ×

Amp "sound"

Si600

Another slighty random question with a multitude of answers I suspect, but can a particular amp manufacturers "sound" be defined, ie, all Ashdown's are very middle biased, all Trace's are tinny and thin and all GK's are are bass heavy and turn your gizzards to mush?

Just curious, and I realise that the playing sound depends upon the player, the bass, the cabs and the room acoustics, but if you took a range of amps and set everything to flat what differences between them would you hear?

You can tell I'm not really sure what I'm talking about in my posts... I know the sound I like, quite middley with a bit of top end to bring out the G and a non muddy B/E, I can get it most of the time with my EQ pedal, but if I have to start looking at a bigger than 15w combo where would I begin? The Bass shop in Warwick after reading a lot of these gear posts! :)

Each family of amps has it's own tonal characteristics, (Ashdown ABM are usually quite warm, Orange Terror will eat your face off at anything past something around 4 or 5 on the gain dial, etc....) and what differences you hear depend in the amps you're comparing. For what you've said there, my first suggestion would be a try a GK RB series if you can, not sure about the amount of high end on these, but it would be a good baseline for you IMO.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Items of gear I`ve found to have an inherent middley-ness were my TC Electronics Classic 450 amp head, and both Schroeder cabs I`ve had, the 21012L and the 410BMF. Schroeder cabs have mids in bucket-loads, and as such, are great in the mix. And GK, with both lower and upper mid controls are also good to boost in these areas.

Most manufacturers will aim for a company sound and design synergy, like Ampeg, Fender, Trace, Ashdown, GK Markbass etc. It makes selling their products easier and, if they do it properly, will guarantee years of repeat sales.

I can't define amp sounds. As I've just found out in an amp sale, one persons "best amp ever" is another’s "sell at all costs".

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340206440' post='1701060']
Most manufacturers will aim for a company sound and design synergy, like Ampeg, Fender, Trace, Ashdown, GK Markbass etc. It makes selling their products easier and, if they do it properly, will guarantee years of repeat sales.

I can't define amp sounds. As I've just found out in an amp sale, one persons "best amp ever" is another’s "sell at all costs".
[/quote]

+1 -agreed. Was a loyal Ashdown user for years, but after trying a mate's Markbass was knocked over at how mid-biased and 'warm' Ashdowns seem to sound and decided to get rid at all costs. Ended up loosing quite a bit selling 'em too. Much prefer Markbass, the tone seems a lot subtler and sounds more like 'the bass' then 'the bass through an ashdown'

Where as I had a MarkBass and didn't like how clinical is sounded, to my ears. Had a brief fling with an Ampeg PF-500, before getting a refund.
Now I'm a proud owner of an Ashdown JJ-500, that sounds absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1340208826' post='1701113']
never realised how much each amp has its own sound until i got my Ampeg and then heard Geddy coming out my speakers (in tone, regretfully not in technique!)
[/quote]
ha ha just realised what i said... :lol:

With just a couple of answers there, you can see it's a case of try things & see what you like the sound of. Your idea of zingy might be someone else's wool (& vice versa of course).

If you can, find some local bands with different rigs so you can hear what they're like in a band setting. I can say IMO Markbass is a very transparent sound (until you play with the filters) & is very much what you put in, you get out. Some basses sound great with it, some don't.

There's another bit of advice, take your bass along when trying things. No point in playing something else through it, unless you're planning on getting a new bass too.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1340207141' post='1701075']
+1 -agreed. Was a loyal Ashdown user for years, but after trying a mate's Markbass was knocked over at how mid-biased and 'warm' Ashdowns seem to sound and decided to get rid at all costs. Ended up loosing quite a bit selling 'em too. Much prefer Markbass, the tone seems a lot subtler and sounds more like 'the bass' then 'the bass through an ashdown'
[/quote]

From your username I'm guessing you like to slap a little bit. I can't imagine a worse brand of amp to buy for that than Ashdown. Lol ! Glad you've finally found something you like.

I think there's definitely a brand sound for lots of brands. GKs have a very distinct sound, as do Ampegs, Markbasses and various others.

IMO it's partially to do with the fact that people will tend to work for companies they like the products of and are surrounded by their amps so when they're trying to achieve what their idea of a perfect bass tone is, their opinion is going to be bias towards what the company's already producing anyway. Part of it will be that similar components will be used (e.g. same power amp) throughout the range. Obviously they'll consider the brand "sound" too.

From what you describe, I'd go for a GK MB head and NEO cabs. I use a Fusion into 1 or 2 NEO212s and it's naturally bright but easily copes with B. The RB series that Liam suggested could do it too but they're not as naturally bright as the MBs so you'd be more reliant on the EQ (which could easily do it, but there's no point getting an amp that doesn't fit the bill as well) :)

In my opinion most amps can sound much like another, if you know what you are doing. The main thing for me is the features, reliability and weight. I have had them all - would I swap my ( very cheap ) pf500 or mark bass lm 2 fir my old ampeg v4' fender bass man, Marshall Vba 400. Probably not.

At the moment we are in bass player heaven with so many great, affordable products on the market. Just try some that you like.