Why become a member? ×

Definitive Punk Bass ?

uke

Been watching quite a bit of Punk Britania recently, and bassists in general then, either used a Precision or a Rickenbacker, ( Obviously with some exceptions! )
What do you think was the best Punk bass ?
For me It's a Precision though an old Marshall/Hiwatt head and 4x12 or 2x15 taken just up to breaking point!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1340113741' post='1699274']
Stingray through an Ampeg SVT.
[/quote]
I agree with you, and would use that now, but they weren't too readily available in the late 70's (to skint British punks!)

Edited by uke

Bearing in mind punk was largely quite tinny/trebly, with a lot of quick "look at me riffs", and going from what has been shown on Punk Brittannia, looks like the Ricks were the main bass.

I think most people associate the Precision due to Vicious Sidney, and perhaps, Paul Simenons cover shot on London Calling.

Edited by Lozz196

An interesting question.My memories ( admittedly after decades of ermmm recreational brain destruction) were always of P basses,but as pointed out,there were a LOT of Ricks on Punk Brittannia.Personally,JJ Burnel's sound,and that of Algy Ward define Punk,both P bass users.I use 78 P basses nowadays,but also a Rick copy..

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1340126994' post='1699595']
Indeed,but that wasn't the Definitive Damned sound.
[/quote]
+1. It's Machine Gun Etiquette & the Black Album for me, they beat all that Brian James penned drivel on so many levels!