Why become a member? ×

Dingwall!!!

d-basser

Its just arrived and I am definately a happy bunny :)

its a second hand Dingwall Afterburner I six string in mint condition.

I lurv it already, i may have stopped gassing for a new bass ;) ...for now

[attachment=8052:PICT0797.JPG]

[attachment=8053:PICT0799.JPG]

[attachment=8054:PICT0800.JPG]

and this is her with Harriet the pig, who the bass is now named after :huh:

[attachment=8055:PICT0811.JPG]

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='182989' date='Apr 22 2008, 05:23 PM']very pretty... however, the flamed maple top isn't very smooth... just look at all the ripples in the reflections...[/quote]

Dingwall will probably say it is because the lacquer is extremely thin so it doesn't colour the tone?

Looks nice, would like to play one.

ped

The theory is that extended range on the bass strings is desirable whereas shorter scale on the treble side is desirable too. Extra scale basses are a compromise because what you gain in bottom you lose in top end snap, or so it goes. I have had no experience with fanned frets and do not believe that extra scale or less scale has a tangible effect when all things are considered but they look quite attractive!

[quote name='Ralph Novak']The Fanned-Fret® Concept
The NOVAX® Fanned-Fret® concept evolved from a desire to produce an instrument with balanced tone and string tension. As a guitar player and professional repair technician with extensive experience, I had grown dissatisfied with the performance of instruments as they existed. Lack of definition in the lower frequencies, harsh, percussive trebles, and general "muddiness" of tone seemed pervasive, even when the performance of these instruments was optimized. Experimenting with composite materials and state-of-the-art electronics only made matters worse by highlighting these problems. My repair experience led me to examine scale length as a possible solution.[/quote]

honestly you hardly notice the fanned frets when playing, i didn't believe it when i read reviews but really you don't. The electronics on this baby are nuts too, nothing should be that versatile without batteries, its black magic.
The smoothness thing is hugely exaggerated in the pic it is no where near that in real life, can just see it but can feel and unevenness

the pig is my girlfriends, a wee pressie from yours truely, she loves it so I named the bass after it

Uhuh 37" B and a 34"C. to be honest it doesnt feel that long when playing.

got factory strings on it at the mo but i think i will get Newtone to make my next set for me, bit limited as to suppliers with that kinda scale.

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='ped' post='183131' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:57 PM']The theory is that extended range on the bass strings is desirable whereas shorter scale on the treble side is desirable too. Extra scale basses are a compromise because what you gain in bottom you lose in top end snap, or so it goes. I have had no experience with fanned frets and do not believe that extra scale or less scale has a tangible effect when all things are considered but they look quite attractive![/quote]

Cheers Ped and Bigred. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='d-basser' post='183876' date='Apr 23 2008, 05:12 PM']Uhuh 37" B and a 34"C. to be honest it doesnt feel that long when playing.

got factory strings on it at the mo but i think i will get Newtone to make my next set for me, bit limited as to suppliers with that kinda scale.[/quote]

Congratulations on your new bass. Looks great, If you log in the Dingwall forum you can find threads for alternative strings to use

I must assume you are the borderline legendary fullrange from the dingwall forum.
I have been browsing the threads and as far as I can see Dingwall and Newtone are the only people who do suitable 37" low Bs, I also i would like to correct myself and say it is a 33.25" C apparently

[quote name='d-basser' post='192137' date='May 5 2008, 11:31 AM']well you can have a play next lesson, I'll need to book one soon.

p.s. hope you had a great trip, congrats and everything on the marriage[/quote]

Cheers! It was a great trip and married life isn't so bad :)