Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

mrtcat

Play in a busy covers band. We earn ok (£250 - £800) and are getting busier all the time. Drummer keeps trying to push our prices up. Recently we've done some good festivals and functions but we've got a couple of regular pub gigs coming up which although are not mega bucks still fall within our price range although at the lower end. Got the following text last night:

[color=#FF0000]Just updating calendar. I had overlooked july 13th. Can't do it I'm afraid. And I can't do 24th aug. Sorry. Can call venues if you want.[/color]

[color=#000000]Surprise surprise the only two pub dates. Now I'm furious about this. To me a commitment is a commitment regardless of price. Luckily we have a friend who teaches drums who has agreed to step up but of course our drummer didn't know this when he sent the text. I also got made redundant recently and drummer knows that any cash is a big bonus to me right now.[/color]

[color=#000000]What would you do? Tempted to ask our drummer friend if he fancies it long term although I know he's busy and has other commitments.[/color]

Confront and ask him to be straight with you. If it's as you suspect and he just can't be arsed then I'd be tempted to replace him. That sort of behaviour makes you all look like fools, and is hurting you financially.

Alternatively your mate could just fill in, but I'm a bit more hardcore when it comes to people swinging the lead...

We've always had the understanding in our jazz band that if someone can't do a gig we get a stand in. Don't know why that should change in a rock/pop band. A simple text in reply saying that's OK we have a stand in. No-one is indespesible.

tell the main drummer to stop being a precious diva and that its ok as youve got a dep to do the pub gigs

if main drummer gets arsey just tell him to think of it as a stunt double

or is it the old case of main drummers says "its my ball so i choose whos on my team" <_<

on a serious note i can see he is trying to up the ante and get you considered as a more 'serious' covers band and there is something to the argument that a potential function customer might be slightly deterred if they are aware of you locally and know of your reputation and that you play loads of pub gigs - they could make the automatic assumption that youre 'just a pub covers band' and maybe have doubts if youre up to the standard of something a tiny bit more upmarket fee wise

one possible solution would be to have core band members (along with your drummer dep and any other flexible deps etc) and form it up as two separately named bands - one to do all the pubs and a second band which you actrively promote as a bit more 'prestige' to go for the bigger bucks gigs

just my 2p fwiw :)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339744715' post='1693511']
Confront and ask him to be straight with you. If it's as you suspect and he just can't be arsed then I'd be tempted to replace him. That sort of behaviour makes you all look like fools, and is hurting you financially.

Alternatively your mate could just fill in, but I'm a bit more hardcore when it comes to people swinging the lead...
[/quote]

This one.

I'm with you about a commitment (just had to say 'no' to two paid performances at a theatre on a saturday that my unpaid Gospel band is playing an outdoors event - hurts sometimes!).

If it's the case he doesn't want to do low paid gigs then its band meeting time.

What would i do??? Call the A team!!! ....i'll get my coat :lol: ...although on a serious note my band is in a similar situation. Once deps starting coming along though the main culprit is quick to want to be back in the driving seat :rolleyes:

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1339743817' post='1693501']
Play in a busy covers band. We earn ok (£250 - £800) and are getting busier all the time. Drummer keeps trying to push our prices up. Recently we've done some good festivals and functions but we've got a couple of regular pub gigs coming up which although are not mega bucks still fall within our price range although at the lower end. Got the following text last night:

[color=#ff0000]Just updating calendar. I had overlooked july 13th. Can't do it I'm afraid. And I can't do 24th aug. Sorry. Can call venues if you want.[/color]

[color=#000000]Surprise surprise the only two pub dates. Now I'm furious about this. To me a commitment is a commitment regardless of price. Luckily we have a friend who teaches drums who has agreed to step up but of course our drummer didn't know this when he sent the text. I also got made redundant recently and drummer knows that any cash is a big bonus to me right now.[/color]

[color=#000000]What would you do? Tempted to ask our drummer friend if he fancies it long term although I know he's busy and has other commitments.[/color]
[/quote]

hmmmm.,.. tricky. Know of a situation where one member booked out a few too many duo gigs which meant the rest of the band had to turn down some very good gigs.
When the idea of a dep was mentioned, this caused more problems and a fracture of sorts . The problem of not being available has not gone away entirely
so this is very high on the agenda at next band meeting.

I think lines needs to be re-established ..like how many gigs per month, how much etc, and the the band collective reserve the right to dep the gig out..if that suits.
I would agree to put up pub prices..assuming you can get them and also that you are prepared to lose one or two.

Three pronged approach:

1. Find out from said drummer why it`s only the low paid gigs he can`t do - there may be reasons which he hasn`t mentioned (this happened in one of my bands recently, the one concerned being crap at comms, just saying "I can`t do". Once we found out why, no problem, and we accomodated).
2. See what the rest of the band want.
3. Enlist your mate as a dep, if the rest of the band are in agreement.