Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickups for the bassist on budget

Jono Bolton

Hi all,

I've got a Fender MIM Jazz Bass that's currently sitting with no pickups in. I used to have Wizard 84s in there but sold them a few months back as I was a bit strapped for cash and the bass wasn't getting used much. I'd toyed with the idea of just selling the bass sans pickups but it was a birthday gift from my folks when I was still in uni way back when, so I think it'd be disrepectful to punt it.

But I digress.

Funds still aren't great, but after refurbing my P Bass I'd really like to do the same with the Jazz. I was narrowly beaten in an ebay auction for another set of 84s last month and they don't come up on there too often, so can anyone recommend a set of new Jazz pickups with a similar sound that I could get on the cheap? I've kept an eye on the 'For Sale' section but nothing's come up, has anyone tried some of the no-namers that you can find on ebay and the like?

All suggestions welcome! :)

Approx. £40, which is what I paid for the 84s I had previously. That said, I'd listen to all recommendations, so £40 isn't an absolute limit. If someone could point me in the direction of a decent pickup set for £50 for example, I'd certainly have a look at it.

I'd rather not go as high as that though but if I felt it was worth it I'd see if I could make the cash available.

I'd really suggest you to try Artec pickups. They're cheap, they're - unfortunately - not very sturdy and a bit poorly manufactured in terms of being solid, but they have a decent sound.
But for 50 quid you'll be able to find some nicer pickups of better quality, I guess.

[i][i][url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kent-Armstrong-Bass-Pickup-Jazz-Style-Neck-Open-/350408591552?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5195fac8c0"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kent-Armstrong-Bass-Pickup-Jazz-Style-Neck-Open-/350408591552?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5195fac8c0[/url][/i]kent armstrongs £50[/i]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1339701254' post='1693083']
The Duncan Design pups that are fitted to VMJ's are pretty good and do come up on ebay quite regularly. My daughters set went for about £2 :(
[/quote]

+1 on the VMJ DD's, thought they sounded boss when I had one. Real shame those only went for £2, they punch far above their weight!

Failing those I think you can get a pair of Fender Originals for around the £65 mark, especially if you don't mind importing from america. They're used in the Geddy Lee signature, so while I've not tried them yet I should imagine they'd have it dialled in pretty good

Be careful when buying Wilkinson Vintage J's on internet at that price - what I got was the lower price version with ceramic magnets not alnico slugs despite being advertised as Vintage J's - returned but was annoying. Do not remember seller sadly.

Cheers for the advice 3below, I looked into it and they were in fact the cheaper one's I was looking at. Axesrus had the alnico set at £36, but they're out of stock, so I may have to drop them an email.

Did you ever end up getting the alnico pickups, and if you did, what are they like?

Just seen these on the bay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-pickups-/120936987755?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2867fc6b#ht_500wt_951"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-pickups-/120936987755?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2867fc6b#ht_500wt_951[/url]

could be worth watching? nothing to do with me in anyway btw.