Why become a member? ×

I think I've gone mad...

charic

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339681458' post='1692601']
Have you considered plugging straight into your amp with no effects at all?

Hey! ...Ow! Ow! Not the face... Oww! That was a [i]stone[/i]... stoppit! I'm going, I'm [i]going[/i]! :unsure:
[/quote]

That's what I do now :P

GT-10B is VERY different from the ME-50B, the former is digital based, the latter (whilst digital) is analogue based. I have the ME-50B and find it very easy to use, I hate scrolling menues and buttons on pedals lol
The Line-6 range get great reviews though, M5, M9, M13 etc

Si

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339678712' post='1692523'] +1 Always stick compression at the end of your chain... [/quote]

Depends what sound you want. I hate having a compressor at the end of my chain as I find it muffles my dirt pedals and takes the life out of them. Really dont like it.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1339678712' post='1692523']
+1
Always stick compression at the end of your chain...
[/quote]

I always stick compression at the start of my chain. It's not that difficult to ensure that your pedals are running at unity gain... plus how are you gonna get an occasionally needed volume boost?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339740710' post='1693469']
nothing wrong with having different channels... But two EQs in a row? :blink:
[/quote]

Think of the last EQ as a master. Use that to sculpt out common unwanted sound

“But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here.”

I'm undecided between insanity and stupidity!

Do all these options serve a purpose in your band? Will you really want to [i]mix[/i] all of those channels together? Four full range signals with a different stack of effects on each is likely to be a sonic mess once you blend it, not to mention a snakes nest of phase issues.

I'd be inclined to think about what you're most likely to want active simultaneously and come up with a set of switch-in-and-out-able loops that tick your boxes. It's easy enough to knock up a Loop A/Loop B/Bypass footswitch, you could have one covering the drive options at the beginning of your chain, one covering off some of the modulation. It'd surely save you cash and complexity to try something like that rather than buying 27 compressors and 13 EQ pedals to have parallel channels that you may never blend.

If you're going to spend that kind of dollar you could just buy one of each pedal, rack 'em and get a Ground Control system on the go, that could handle your stomp boxes, and also MIDI switching on something like a G-Major for all your mod/reverb/delay. At least it'd be a bit easier to use that way, although you'll have to sell a kidney!

A wise man once remarked [i]"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success[/i]"[sup] [b]*[/b][/sup]

Give it a go - I'd only say a word or two about phase differences between channels. How about running them to separate amps / channels rather than blending?

HTH,
Ian

[size=2]* OK, so I pinched that from a James Bond movie, but, hey, it ticks two of the boxes :lol:[/size][size=2] hehehe[/size]

Im undecided - I personally cant see what would be achieved by having four parallel loops, but then its not my sound we're playing with. I like modulation and delays / reverbs to follow the dirt boxes, but then Ive never tried them in parallel..

Ive got two parallel loops with bits switched in and out on my pedal board and Im sure it would also look odd on paper.

One thing to point out - when you have a very complex setup like that, you can often find yourself twiddling the knobs trying to find the hidden sound that justifies all the complex wiring, which stops you trying any simpler options which may sound better.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1340194398' post='1700738']
One thing to point out - when you have a very complex setup like that, you can often find yourself twiddling the knobs trying to find the hidden sound that justifies all the complex wiring, which stops you trying any simpler options which may sound better.
[/quote]

It'll get built up a bit at a time if I decide to eventually do it so I should be quite familiar with each sections sounds by the time it's done :)

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1340194398' post='1700738']
[/quote]
Indeed, and I went through the whole process myself last year with the multi-channel amp rack idea I had [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/141237-bi-amping-my-first-forays/page__p__1270148__hl__bi%20amping__fromsearch__1#entry1270148"]here[/url]

Nice on paper, bugger to shift around in practice (my EBS cabs were 41 and 26 Kgs). Gave up when I moved to the flat, no room for it all, so I sold a lot of the gear. and I'm happier for it too! My back thanks me in particular.

Obviously, Charic's "problem" could be solved by the KISS priciple ([i]keep it simple, stupid![/i]). I'm leaning towards having a single channel of effects and picking out the best quality pedal for each task - might even find that an M9 multi-FX pedal does the whole shebang etc

YMMV
Ian