Why become a member? ×

Synth bass - any advice, please?

enviropig

Evening all,

I'm posting for some advice...

[u][b]Scenario:[/b][/u]
I'm trying to get up to speed with synth bass. I want to do a serviceable job at playing Michael Jackson basslines (and other assorted 80s highlights). I know almost nothing about interfaces and music software. At present I just have a Roland Juno-D keyboard which I simply use for fun at home (trying to sound like Toto...that type of thing).

[u][b]Question:[/b][/u]
Can anyone recommend a basic setup that can be used to produce serviceable synth bass live at gigs? I'm looking for something affordable, practical and simple to use alongside a real bass setup. I'd also love to be able to produce and trigger some loops/backing tracks if possible. I'm thinking I'll need a laptop, an interface device and some fancy software, but I have no idea where to start, or even if this is what I really need. I literally know nothing!

[u][b]Budget:[/b][/u]
My budget for the whole setup is going to be £500-1000, so it's going to be entry-level stuff. Is this all wishful thinking?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Enviropig

For triggering loops, I think any sort of Midi-pad sort of thing would work.
Such as: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FCB1010-Controller-Expression-Pedals/dp/B000CZ0RK6

I'm not any good with synth bass, but I know of a few builders.
Robot Factory: http://martoneaudio.com/
WMD: http://www.wmdevices.com/
Iron Ether: http://ironether.com/

There are a few certain pedals I know of as well such as the Akai Deep Impact and the EHX Bass Micro Synth.
Other than that, you'll have to ask Shep! :P

For the sounds that you're after, it would be worth looking at the Roland VB system (the old one). Usually @ £300 or so. You can even play your Juno from it.

If you're looking for the more DnB, Dubstep, Electronica type sounds, then you're looking at Octave>Fuzz>Filter & some other pedals to tailor your sound more (can end up costing a small fortune).

The closest way you'll get to the sounds on the MJ tracks without buying a moog yourself is with virtual instruments & use your Juno as a controller.

For example,

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/minimoogv/intro.html

This is by far the best Moog VST on the market imo. Almost all the iconic bass sounds on MJ's songs were recorded on 2 modded Mini Moogs.

Half the feel of the tracks sounds how they do because they're being played on a keyboard and not a bass.

I'm on tour with a Michael Jackson tribute at the moment and getting great results with a Moog Little Phatty.

Hi guys, thanks very much for your advice - much appreciated. I hadn't really considered the V-bass before, but it may be worth a good look. I also really like the look of the Arturia Moog VST. Would just have to choose an appropriate interface device for my Juno, and some decent software!

Thanks again.

[quote name='enviropig' timestamp='1339531591' post='1690145']
Hi guys, thanks very much for your advice - much appreciated. I hadn't really considered the V-bass before, but it may be worth a good look. I also really like the look of the Arturia Moog VST. Would just have to choose an appropriate interface device for my Juno, and some decent software!

Thanks again.
[/quote]

The Arturia Minimoog is a standalone program as well as a plugin for your DAW. So if you have a interface your ready to go.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1339497260' post='1689204']
I'm on tour with a Michael Jackson tribute at the moment and getting great results with a Moog Little Phatty.
[/quote]

Wow, awesome gig to get, I tip my hat sir. So many classic songs and excellent baselines!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1339583697' post='1690842']
The Arturia Minimoog is a standalone program as well as a plugin for your DAW. So if you have a interface your ready to go.
[/quote]
That's fantastic - I'll give the standalone option a go and will see how I get on. Much obliged, and also a tip of the hat to the MJ gig!

+1, works a treat and are cheap as chips 2nd hand

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339453130' post='1688857']
For the sounds that you're after, it would be worth looking at the Roland VB system (the old one). Usually @ £300 or so. You can even play your Juno from it.

If you're looking for the more DnB, Dubstep, Electronica type sounds, then you're looking at Octave>Fuzz>Filter & some other pedals to tailor your sound more (can end up costing a small fortune).
[/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339453130' post='1688857']
[/quote]

Not sure about that. I don't think the v bass does midi out. I think you need one of the roland guutar synths for that (vg20/vg33/vg55). Someone who knows more may be able to correct me though.

Been sorely tempted by a v-bass myself recently. Was impressed by the one i played a few years ago.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1339705915' post='1693210']
Not sure about that. I don't think the v bass does midi out. I think you need one of the roland guutar synths for that (vg20/vg33/vg55). Someone who knows more may be able to correct me though.

Been sorely tempted by a v-bass myself recently. Was impressed by the one i played a few years ago.
[/quote]

I think you might be right there. Just read that the V Bass (not VB 99) doesn't transmit note data through midi.
My guitarist/singer has a Roland GI-20 & has a GK3B on a cheap bass & a Godin guitar & uses it to play either a MicroKorg or a Yamaha Synth. Sounds pretty good too & the tracking is as good as an analogue octaver.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339706663' post='1693240']
I think you might be right there. Just read that the V Bass (not VB 99) doesn't transmit note data through midi.

[/quote]

I can confirm that you can't use a V-Bass as a synth controller - just about all you can do with the Midi is save patches.

Check out Scott Devine's video about his pedal board. I was watching it earlier and he can get some pretty good synth bass tones out of his bass with some of his pedals: [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/gear/the-pedal-board.html"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/gear/the-pedal-board.html[/url]