Why become a member? ×

Does active and passive inputs really matter in a bass amp?

DanTheMusicman

[size=4]Im asking this as I am getting a new bass, the sterling by musicman ray34ca and I dont think my fender rumble amp will give it any justice.[/size]

[size=4]I found a really good cheap Gallien Kreuger combo that has all the features I need apart from these active and passive inputs which I don't know if it will be important in any way. The ray34ca (ca=classive active) is an active bass and I am quite a beginner in bass amps and sounds so I may need answers.[/size]

[size=4]Thanks, D.W.[/size]

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1339445480' post='1688708']
Er, all of em!
[/quote]

:lol: Good answer!

If there's an input gain knob then it might not have the 2 inputs. Which means you just set the level to suit your bass. :)

If there is one I always use the active socket. It seems to give the bass more punch. If the input signal is too hot, turn the volume down.

Those -db pads sound like they've cut the balls off of your sound. I’ve never used them.

I think you're right about the Rumble. The GK should sound much better.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1339445317' post='1688702']
Many amps have Hi/Lo input sockets.

I strongly suspect that most bass players just whap everything in the Hi socket the same as I do regardless of the bass type.
[/quote]

It's misleading though - I thought you're supposed to plug into lo if you have a normal passive bass right? I think most people think 'Hi' will be louder (ie higher), but actually the lo input is louder. I could be wrong.

I always thought it was:

lo = use if your bass has a low output (ie passive)
hi = use if your bass/instrument has a high output (ie active or a keyboard with line level output etc)

non?

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1339498423' post='1689242']
It's misleading though - I thought you're supposed to plug into lo if you have a normal passive bass right? I think most people think 'Hi' will be louder (ie higher), but actually the lo input is louder. I could be wrong.

I always thought it was:

lo = use if your bass has a low output (ie passive)
hi = use if your bass/instrument has a high output (ie active or a keyboard with line level output etc)

non?
[/quote]

Does it really matter? Use the one that sounds better! You won't damage the amp by over-driving the input stages.

Also, what Mr Tobeloud said. My EMG-P active isn't noticeably louder than my Seymour Duncan passive.

Whether an amp needs or benefits from 2 different inputs for high and low depends on its design. Whether an active bass is higher output than a passive depends on their design and how the EQ is set.

If an amp doesn't have two separate inputs it usually means its designed in such a way as to not need them, so don't let it put you off.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339498619' post='1689248']
Does it really matter? Use the one that sounds better! You won't damage the amp by over-driving the input stages.
[/quote]

Sure, I just like to know what goes on behind the scenes.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1339663902' post='1692072']
Hi + Lo inputs are about loading pickups. Lo impedance input makes passive basses have a fuller tone. What you do with volume comes after that.
[/quote]

I think you're confusing High/Low impedance (HiZ, LoZ) with high and low level inputs. You really don't want to load a passive pickup with a LoZ input. If by "fuller" you mean lacking in high frequencies, then yes a low impedance input will achieve that.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1339667957' post='1692191']
I think you're confusing High/Low impedance (HiZ, LoZ) with high and low level inputs. You really don't want to load a passive pickup with a LoZ input. If by "fuller" you mean lacking in high frequencies, then yes a low impedance input will achieve that.
[/quote]

I believe 'Hi' on the input actually often refers to sensitivity - hence the 'hi' input is for low output (typically high impedance passive) instruments. I think often if you look at the schematics the different inputs will just have a pad between them. You're fine running all instruments into the 'hi' input unless it clips. I'd be more wary of running a passive instrument into the 'lo' in case the impedance was unsuitable as you say, but the other way round (low into high impedance) works fine.
A preamp with enough clean headroom doesn't need 2 separate inputs (eg my Markbass F1 or the Hartke LH500 with the Fender/Alembic-type front end).

Run everything into 'hi' unless it overloads it on minimum gain setting. As has been mentioned elsewhere, IME active/passive has very little bearing on output level though it will impact the impedance.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1339667957' post='1692191']
[/quote]

See above for explanation.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1339669605' post='1692242']
See above for explanation.
[/quote]

It says the same thing about high impedance pickups running into low impedance inputs. Guitar/bass amps generally don't have low impedance inputs anyway - unless they have a line input which is typically only 20kohm or so.

Both hi/lo level/sensitivity inputs on amps tend to be at least 500kohm (high impedance) or so, so there won't be a problem.

• 8 years later...