Why become a member? ×

What do you make of this bass?

Zenitram

Hello. What do you clever folk think of this posting on Gumtree:

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/a-jazz-bass-copy-with-a-great-jazz-sound-for-slap/103908772"]http://www.gumtree.c...-slap/103908772[/url]

I'm intrigued because it's fairly local to me and, er, fairly cheap. And I love cheap.

So. Can anyone shed any light?

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339259571' post='1686049']
Right, but apart from the fact that it's junk and they've sawn a bit off...
[/quote]

Well apart from that it looks great :lol: Who knows, maybe it is a little gem. If it's close to you why don't you pop round and try it out?

Granted. I wouldn't buy it for anywhere near what he's asking, but he says he's open to that. Let's see if he answers my text. Another thing of course is how on earth I would be able to tell a good bass from a bad one. I know nothing about them!

[size=4]If you're not too fussed by the odd bit sawn off how about this one on ebay[/size] (current bid £20):

[attachment=110006:BG.jpg]

[size=4]"...[font=Arial]the overall condition in my opinion is an 8/10..."[/font][/size] [size=4]according to the seller![/size]

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339263109' post='1686104']
Why don't you post a wanted add on here for a cheap bass and name your price. That way you run the risk of getting something decent and not wasting your money in this sh*te.
[/quote]

Oh I have a cheap bass already (a Stagg). I was just curious. Thanks though!

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339259571' post='1686049']
Right, but apart from the fact that it's junk and they've sawn a bit off...
[/quote]

Yeah, you'll probably find that the reduced mass of the headstock will alter the tone of the bass (and not in a good way) and could have generated 'deadspots' on the fingerboard. The bridge, tuners and pups might be worth something, but I'd give that whole heap of woodwork practice a [i]very[/i] wide berth.

The bit sawn off the headstock would make no difference to anything apart from what it looks like.

Its a cheap bass, the body is made from a number of (8?) pieces (Fenders are often made from three!) as its cheaper to glue small strips of wood than it is to buy a large piece of wood. This is unlikely to be an improvement on your Stagg (what's wrong with the Stagg - apart from the name not being Fender?)

You'd have to try it out and see if you like the way it plays and sounds. Check the neck is straight and that it all works and fits together nicely. If you still want it knock a big lump (half) off the price. There are loads of sub £100 brand new basses to be had, all, like this with cheap pickups, tuners etc but all work fine.

Personally, I don't think there is anything special about this one, its a cheap secondhand bass that's overpriced.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339266040' post='1686166']
The dude hasn't replied so we can probably forget the whole experience and put it behind us.
[/quote]

I think that's the best possible result... :)
You could do a lot better for your cash. In my humble opinion.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339261637' post='1686087']
Modesty?
[/quote]

"Modesty would be dishonesty. If I were to say that I was being modest, how would you know if I were being dishonest or not?" - Orac (Blake's 7)

As for the bass? Firewood, like Happy Jack said. It'd be easier to just burn £10 notes - you'd save on collection/postage costs.